R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume control  (Read 6093 times)

ted nightshade

Re: Volume control
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2004, 07:30:11 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 20 June 2004 17:33

Umm, DC taught me virtually everything I know about this (though that's not saying much), but here goes...

I don't know the numbers, but the safe margins are:
1] as short as you can possibly make it, and
2] as low as you can get it.

I have a 15' run of cable out of my passive attenuator to the amp of regular cable and suffer no high frequency loss. I think as long as you are careful and make sure your cables don't have unusually high capacitance, you'll eb fine. You can always measure it with a tone generator and a DMM...

After some consultation with hutch I went with 3' of ultra-low capacitance cable out of my spendy DIY passive stepped attenuator doodad... it's quite disorienting... I had no idea at all there was that much high frequency content in the stuff I'm working on. I have to think you know exactly what you're doing, Brad- but it's good to be aware that the phase response can be a ways off even when the high frequencies are healthy.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

bblackwood

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2004, 09:22:52 PM »

Thanks, Ted. If I'm not mistaken, the ear is pretty insensitive to HF phase shift. Also, the passive rig sounds (almost?) identical to my Crane Song console that has a -3dB point of 400kHz...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

OTR-jkl

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2004, 12:36:11 PM »

Anybody ever heard of, know anything about or used this unit: http://www.smproaudio.com/mpatch.htm
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

chrisj

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004, 03:31:03 PM »

Sure it's not one of these?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/powermate.jpg
That's a Griffin PowerMate. It's a USB knob. It's machined aluminum and does a very good 'posh expensive gear' impression. There's no reason you couldn't use it as a software master volume control, but you'll have to use it on a DAW, as I don't think there are any DAs that you can plug a USB knob into. (come to think of it, why the hell not? What a great way to get a remote master volume knob for your DA)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.