R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The New Yorker endorsement  (Read 2556 times)

jimlongo

The New Yorker endorsement
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:28:45 PM »

from the following editorial . . .
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2008/10/13/081013taco_ talk_editors
one of the most poetic articles i've read in a while.

We cannot expect one man to heal every wound, to solve every major crisis of policy. So much of the Presidency, as they say, is a matter of waking up in the morning and trying to drink from a fire hydrant. In the quiet of the Oval Office, the noise of immediate demands can be deafening. And yet Obama has precisely the temperament to shut out the noise when necessary and concentrate on the essential. The election of Obama—a man of mixed ethnicity, at once comfortable in the world and utterly representative of twenty-first-century America—would, at a stroke, reverse our country’s image abroad and refresh its spirit at home. His ascendance to the Presidency would be a symbolic culmination of the civil- and voting-rights acts of the nineteen-sixties and the century-long struggles for equality that preceded them. It could not help but say something encouraging, even exhilarating, about the country, about its dedication to tolerance and inclusiveness, about its fidelity, after all, to the values it proclaims in its textbooks. At a moment of economic calamity, international perplexity, political failure, and battered morale, America needs both uplift and realism, both change and steadiness. It needs a leader temperamentally, intellectually, and emotionally attuned to the complexities of our troubled globe. That leader’s name is Barack Obama.

Barry Hufker

Re: The New Yorker endorsement
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:46:19 PM »

Eloquent and correct.

PRobb

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:02:24 PM »

I like the New Yorker a lot. And their political stuff has been really good lately.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

jimlongo

Another endorsement
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:59:36 PM »

We thought this election would be a serious fight over the future of this country, but only one candidate showed up.

Esquire Magazine endorses Obama

John Ivan

Re: Another endorsement
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 03:30:53 AM »

jimlongo wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 19:59

We thought this election would be a serious fight over the future of this country, but only one candidate showed up.

Esquire Magazine endorses Obama

This is right. Only one showed up.. Everyday, it seems the McCain campaign sinks deeper and deeper into what can only be described as desperate and over the top attempts at re-introducing Barack Obama to the Nation.. They use his middle name on the trail these days, claim he likes to hang out with terrorists and, as the MSNBC crew rightly pointed out in the few moments I caught this evening, generally try to make him out to be someone 'we don't understand'. A person to be afraid of.. Well, I agree with the idea that people are much more afraid of the level of incompetence that has been displayed by the McCain machine. I also think people can't help but be impressed with Obamas' seemingly unshakable gut.. There's this calmness again that means a great deal to people right now.

The McCain Campaign swears they will come out swinging all this 'he likes bad guys' stuff in the next debate.. I hope they do this.. The wheels are coming off and swing voters are just looking for a good reason to walk away from Old John..

I must say. I am surprised that McCain allowed this to happen. He really had a shot at this thing.. Look who he hired to run the ship though.. These people did the same thing to him, not all that long ago..

How disgusting. How shameful. What a complete lack of seriousness and a slap to the faces of the voters..

Sad.

Ivan............................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Steve Hudson

Re: Another endorsement
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 11:04:35 AM »

This should be required reading for anyone who cares about the United States at this time of choosing our next leader.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

rankus

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »

jimlongo wrote on Mon, 06 October 2008 19:28

at a stroke, reverse our country’s image abroad and refresh its spirit at home. His ascendance to the Presidency would be a symbolic culmination of the civil- and voting-rights acts of the nineteen-sixties and the century-long struggles for equality that preceded them.

Quoted (by someone "abroad") for emphasis.

What a succinct article...

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

jimlongo

William F. Buckley's son endorses Obama
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 09:29:29 PM »

"Obama has in him—I think, despite his sometimes airy-fairy “We are the people we have been waiting for” silly rhetoric—the potential to be a good, perhaps even great leader. He is, it seems clear enough, what the historical moment seems to be calling for.
So, I wish him all the best. We are all in this together. Necessity is the mother of bipartisanship. And so, for the first time in my life, I’ll be pulling the Democratic lever in November. As the saying goes, God save the United States of America."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-10-10/th e-conservative-case-for-obama

RSettee

Re: William F. Buckley's son endorses Obama
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 01:00:25 PM »

If you have a conscience and care about the future of America, it's Obama. I cannot honestly see one reason to elect McCain/ Palin....and their supporters are downright terrifying.

jimlongo

Christopher Hitchens' endorsement
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 06:03:44 PM »

Larrchild

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 12:28:26 AM »

All the brainiac conservatives are wholly against this duo.
The post-Nixon anti-intellectualism theme within the party may have finally ended. The people are going "Who is smart enough to solve this crisis?" followed by "We hate Elitists".
They are confused from malevolent external stimuli, but if some smart conservative candidates showed up, they might listen again.

Meanwhile, Mr 850th in his class and Caribou Barbie do not get the keys to this important and expensive country if these trends say anything.

Hope springs eternal for smartness.

Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

John Ivan

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 12:36:09 AM »

Larrchild wrote on Tue, 14 October 2008 00:28

Meanwhile, Mr 850th in his class and Caribou Barbie do not get the keys to this important and expensive country if these trends say anything.

NICE!! Surprised

Ivan..............
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

ssltech

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 08:14:03 AM »

Larrchild wrote on Tue, 14 October 2008 00:28

Meanwhile, Mr 850th in his class

...unfortunately this is not actually accurate.

-In fact he couldn't manage 850th... his actual finish was 894th out of 899.

(He did in fact manage to finish ahead of 'Mister gobbles', the class mascot -a goat- who had taken the final exam for a laugh, but two places behind Randall 'no-hope' Johnson, -a member of the cleaning staff.)

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.