R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Rednecks for Obama"  (Read 3298 times)

Jessica A. Engle

"Rednecks for Obama"
« on: October 09, 2008, 01:35:23 PM »

I can't decide how seriously to take this.  It's sort of humorous, but sort of serious, too.   These guys seem like they're genuinely trying to change people's minds:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081009/pl_afp/usvoteobamaredne cks

If you read in the article, Obama actually stopped his campaign bus here in STL so that he could get out and shake their hands.   I don't think they're trying to make fun of him, I think they really mean it.  That's pretty cool.

And check out this quote from the article:

Viessman (founder of Rednecks for Obama)says he'd like to think his grassroots movement could sway enough people in small-town America to make a difference.

"There's lots of other rednecks for Obama too," he said. "And the ones that's not, we're trying our best to convince them."

Surprised

Jess

Taproot

Re: "Rednecks for Obama"
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »

These same guys were right next to me in the Grove at Ole Miss during the debate. Nice fellas and I talked to them a bit. The funny thing is, there are people out there who will make disparaging, ignorant comments about them without knowing anything about them, just as idiots do about Barack Obama. Ironic and sad.  Crying or Very Sad
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »

What do you mean?  That people think they're shamming to undermine Obama, or that people hate them for supporting him?  

Or maybe both... I can see how either could happen.  It's such an unusual message they're trying to send.  But I rather like it.  It gets people's attention, to say the least.

Jess

Taproot

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 14:03

What do you mean?  That people think they're shamming to undermine Obama, or that people hate them for supporting him?  

Or maybe both... I can see how either could happen.  It's such an unusual message they're trying to send.  But I rather like it.  It gets people's attention, to say the least.

I think you just answered your own question and proved my point at the same time. Stereotypes are more often than not, wrong. You have no idea how many of these "rednecks" are out there.

I get pegged (from both sides) quite often, because I work in the music industry, but I'm also an avid outdoorsman. If I'm not in the studio or at home with the kiddos, I am in the woods, hills, swamps, streams, lakes or whatever having a blast.

I get weird looks from clients sometimes when they discover this side of me. Even lost a couple. Good riddance. On the other hand, I've made some interesting friends, from classical artists to rappers, that share my enthusiasm for the outdoors and we now enjoy it together. On the political spectrum, I get looks that would kill from other outdoor guys when I tell them I'm one of the "evil undecided voters" and at this point will most likely vote for Barack Obama.

I don't care who you are or what side of the aisle you sit, ignorance and hate are crippling. Plain stupidity is even worse.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

Berolzheimer

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:26:21 PM »

Taproot wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 17:59

I think you just answered your own question and proved my point at the same time. Stereotypes are more often than not, wrong. You have no idea how many of these "rednecks" are out there.

I get pegged (from both sides) quite often, because I work in the music industry, but I'm also an avid outdoorsman. If I'm not in the studio or at home with the kiddos, I am in the woods, hills, swamps, streams, lakes or whatever having a blast.

I get weird looks from clients sometimes when they discover this side of me. Even lost a couple. Good riddance. On the other hand, I've made some interesting friends, from classical artists to rappers, that share my enthusiasm for the outdoors and we now enjoy it together. On the political spectrum, I get looks that would kill from other outdoor guys when I tell them I'm one of the "evil undecided voters" and at this point will most likely vote for Barack Obama.

I don't care who you are or what side of the aisle you sit, ignorance and hate are crippling. Plain stupidity is even worse.

Does being an outdoorsman make one a redneck?  I  grew up Jewish in Chicago & live in LA, but love camping, skiing, backpcking, climbing, etc & go whenever I can...Am I a redneck?

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:46:53 PM »

Taproot wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 19:59

I certainly hope this is not a judgement of my character you're making.  I'm still not really even sure what you're talking about, but you may chalk that up to my own na

danickstr

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:47:31 PM »

Is Jeffery utterly out of line or superlatively ambiguous?
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Taproot

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 11:34:50 PM »

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 19:46

I certainly hope this is not a judgement of my character you're making.  

Certainly not Jess, and if you feel that way, I apologize.  Just trying to make a simple, but obvious point. Not a statement about you, just a blanket statement about people in general.

Berolzheimer: As a result of your actions, you are 100% Jewish Redneck and it's all your fault. Laughing

Danikster: Utterly Superlative.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

YZ

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:46:01 PM »

Taproot wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 21:59

I work in the music industry, but I'm also an avid outdoorsman.
I get weird looks from clients sometimes when they discover this side of me. Even lost a couple.

Unbelievable.

How can people be so narrow-minded?

regards,

YZ

danickstr

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »

Keep that sense of humor coming, you redneck.  
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

cerberus

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 04:00:50 PM »

RSettee

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 01:03:21 PM »

Taproot wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 19:59

I get weird looks from clients sometimes when they discover this side of me. Even lost a couple. Good riddance.

Really? That's crazy. I agree, people are too quick to judge on things.

Taproot

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 07:40:11 PM »

danickstr wrote on Fri, 10 October 2008 08:18

Keep that sense of humor coming, you redneck.  

Razz  Laughing
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

John Ivan

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 03:03:57 AM »

I know some folks around here that would fit what is commonly seen as the "Red Neck" profile and they are among the greatest people I know..

They can do EVERYTHING! If they need a house, they build it.. If the car is broken, they fix it. If someone needs help, they help them. When they meet Gay people, they scratch their head and say "well, what ever blows your skirt up"..

The red necks I know have a lot on their plate and don't spend a lot of time worrying about other peoples way of life. As long as they aren't being bothered by anyone, they like to like ya. They want to like ya..

Now, there are some other folks around here who try and pass them selves off as red necks, but they aren't.. They just "Play red Neck" after work down at the bar after listening to Rush all day.. They run home and put on their Jeans and their "Cat Hat" so they can make happy hour and talk about how the country's gone to hell thanks to us LIBRILS!

Real red necks don't have time for this kind of thing, they do their drinking in the shop out back behind the house and tend to see others in a naturally positive light. At least, this has been my experience with the guys I see as real red necks.

Ivan.............
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Taproot

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 08:42:26 AM »

John Ivan wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 01:03

I know some folks around here that would fit what is commonly seen as the "Red Neck" profile and they are among the greatest people I know..

They can do EVERYTHING! If they need a house, they build it.. If the car is broken, they fix it. If someone needs help, they help them. When they meet Gay people, they scratch their head and say "well, what ever blows your skirt up"..

The red necks I know have a lot on their plate and don't spend a lot of time worrying about other peoples way of life. As long as they aren't being bothered by anyone, they like to like ya. They want to like ya..

Dang John, I think you just described me, better than I could describe myself. Except you left off the part of "If you need a kick ass record made, I'll make it."  Very Happy It's funny, I used to routinely fix any and everything for a lot of the "cool crowd" around here. All the while, taking little jabs about being a redneck. I just smile and don't say anything about how I just saved them a couple hundred bucks+ by replacing the clutch's slave cylinder in their car, replacing brake pads, patching their roof, framing a deck, etc., etc. Now, no matter what the situation is, I just give them my mechanics #. Fool me once.... Rolling Eyes I used to look at it as helping people that can't help themselves, but I've realized there's a difference in not being able to help yourseIf and just being a bum. I can't say that I embrace the term "redneck", simply because of some of the horrible SOB's out there that would be better off labeled DOA, but much like the guys in the picture in the original post, more often than not, you will not a better group of genuinely good people.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 16 queries.