R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital tracking with low levels = better...is this new???  (Read 188804 times)

tom eaton

Re: Digital tracking with low levels = better...is this new???
« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2010, 09:00:41 AM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 18 August 2010 14:59

Amazing how people listen with their eyes today!

Yes, of course those of use who use Dorroughs are not listening while working.  I actually have a practice of activating a black screen saver on the computer monitors during playback so that the ears are the primary stimulus.  

When did metering and listening become mutually exclusive?  And don't you think a discussion of metering might be appropriate in a thread about levels?

tom

Geoff Emerick de Fake

« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 18 August 2010 13:59

Amazing how people listen with their eyes today!

If you break out an audio oscillator, feed it into all of your own A to D inputs at once so as to place maximum stress on the converter power supply and then sweep different frequencies and levels, you can hear which converters have enough headroom and which don't. An IM distortion test is even more revealing.

And if you don't look at the meters while you're doing it, this will be perfect wasted time. One has to see with his ears some time.

Devil's Rope Studios

« Reply #272 on: September 14, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »

Digital recording has come a long ways - I first noticed headroom in my digital recordings being quite variable while recording vocals about 2 years ago. I definitely back the heat down on the mics now. (Unless I'm going for specific coloration)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.