R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: seeking help with my tiny control room  (Read 2340 times)

jonathan jetter

seeking help with my tiny control room
« on: October 05, 2008, 04:05:53 PM »

hi all,

i recently moved into my first commercial production space of my own.  the live room is decent-sized and quite well designed but the control room needs some help.  i'm in manhattan and i'm young so the room i can afford is pretty damn tiny:  14x8x8.  

i recognize that things will not be perfect.  if however i could solve my big ol' peak around 70hz and my crazy null at 110 i'd be a happy man.

i've tried moving my listening position back along the length of the room and i find that either 70h or 110 improves but never both in the same spot.

i have minimal treatment right now and know very little about room treatment other than trial and error.  i have 3 2'x4'x4'' traps from RealTraps that were mounted by the previous tenant.  1 of them is on the corner between the front wall and the ceiling, above my mix position.  the other 2 are between the side walls and the ceiling.  these can easily be moved.

i have a bunch of auralex that can be used if desired.  i also have perhaps $800 right now to spend on further treatment.

i appreciate all your help.  this forum (and all of PSW) is truly a wealth of knowledge.

thanks,

jon

Ethan Winer

Re: seeking help with my tiny control room
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »

Hi Jon,

A room that size and shape needs more than just three bass traps. The traps you have are excellent. Very Happy You simply need more of them in other corners. You could experiment with placement if it's not a lot of hassle to move them. This article on our site describes a way to find the best places for bass traps when you have only a few of them:

Pink noise aids placing bass traps

But ideally you'll get more of them.

--Ethan

Steve Hudson

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:46:45 AM »

The biggest issue I see is that you have two identical dimensions among the three (8x8), which is problematic. You will need lots more trapping in the corners. On your budget, consider making DIY traps made of 4" 703 or a similar product. I recently installed a dozen DIY traps (4'x2'x4") using ready-made bags (from Ready Acoustics) that slip over the fiberglass panels. 2" 703 panels are about $1.60 per s.f. (your local cost may vary) and the bags are about $35 apiece shipped. That's about $60 per panel, so you could easily make a dozen for $800.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

maxime

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 01:34:36 PM »

Hello,
I am in the same process at the moment..
I am considering making my own fabric bags and hang those around..
this makes for very cheap DIY bass traps, and lighter too.
Ready Acoustics suggests fitting the fiberglass inside carton sheets. Do you know what kind to use?

best
Maxime

C.Cash

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »

These are great for the price, I have 24 of the 2'x4'x4" in my live and CR and a few 2'x2'. They work great and you can choose the color.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS-Acoustic-Panels--100.ht ml
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

jonathan jetter

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:37:32 PM »

update:  i have a trap mounted on the rear wall, and have trapped the front corners.

the result is infinitely better sound.  it's still not perfect (and will probably never be perfect) but the low end is smooth and my mixes translate great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.