R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: URS Saturation Plug  (Read 40791 times)

Kris

Re: URS Saturation Plug
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 09:40:41 AM »

imdrecordings wrote on Mon, 19 January 2009 00:45

I'm curious to see if anyone can here a big difference.

I don't think one song sounds better than the other.
One is open, smooth and some what dull.
While the other has an edge and cuts more.

Definately a noticeable difference and I agree with your assessment.  A combination of the two mixes would rock as well!

charlie francis

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »

After reading this thread I downloaded the demo this morning and I have to agree with the guys who are loving this plugin.

I find it increasingly hard to get excited about plugins in general but this really feels like it brings something useful to the party.

Thanks for the heads up  Smile

organica

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »

Just started using this in the last few weeks and right away found it to be a useful enhancement to many tracks and mixes .

I'm now concerned with having lost some objectivity somehow and may in fact be using  too much too often . I'm hearing more harmonics and some mixes seem brighter in different ways than in the past generally .   I've had this happen before ( a tendency to over use )  , especially with plugins when they're new .  I too would love know more of how some of you use it and as interesting  ,  when you're NOT using it . Thanks .

wwittman

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »

My feelings so far -

When I record something, I get the sound I want BEFORE it gets recorded.
So no saturation added later.

when I get other people's tracks, sometimes things are harsh or thin or just don't sit together well (you know, like they used 12 different preamps to record things  Twisted Evil  )
THEN I might be tempted to try saturation like the URS or Massey Tapehead in the mix.

I have NOT been happy with it on the stereo bus, where sometimes Analogue Channel works well (McDSP) but usually i use no saturation.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

thechrisl

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2009, 12:50:53 PM »

Looks like a nice plug for us ITB guys.  Oh wait... iLok... @#(*&@(#_!

Nizzle

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2009, 01:08:26 PM »

Just thought I'd mention that the URS Satch plug KILLS on DI Wurly.

I'm just sayin'....

-t

scott_s

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »

I am demo'ing this plug right now (I have worked with jchristopherhughes a bit and trust his ears), and I am liking it.

To get a better handle on what it is doing, I looped a sine wave and inserted it, you can hear different harmonics being introduced for the different models.

And what it does to a 20-20k sweep is interesting also....

jchristopherhughes

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2010, 10:04:38 AM »

hi scott !!  good to see you on here.

i've been using the urs stuff for over a year now on all of my in the box mixes.  still really liking it a lot.  i find that the culminative effect of having it on most tracks and busses works for me.  whatever harmonic distortion it adds...sounds pretty cool to me.  like anything else...i just turn the knobs till it sounds good.

another plug to check out..(i think they still have a beta demo) is the sound toys decapitator.  it is hands down the coolest "distortion/dirt" plugin i have used thus far...it can be much more extreme than the urs saturation.  its scary how close i can get it to what my culture vulture does...definitely not the SAME...but CLOSE...and still COOL in its own way. really getting scary what can be done with plugs these days.

i'm consistently amazed at the stuff i can do now in the box..(that is...as long as i have nicely recorded tracks).  i've been mostly working on radar this last year with my pm2k desk and outboard, but, because of the now common budget and time restraints...do most of my mixing in cubase, pt, or samplitude...which i find all to sound a bit different from each other.

the one constant has been the urs saturation plug on most tracks, and on my busses.  i actually really like the crane song phoenix...but that only runs on TDM...really hope dave decides to make a native version of that someday.  for now, the urs saturation keeps me from wanting to throw the keyboard across the room everytime i play back a mix.

(ps...how the heck are you scott ?  hit me back sometime at email.)

peace,

jch
jchristopherhughes

wavdoctor

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2010, 10:09:19 AM »

a crowley wrote on Tue, 06 January 2009 13:27

Fibes wrote on Fri, 10 October 2008 10:25

I DLd the demo yesterday to try.

I'm pretty impressed but one thing seemed to be strange when strapped across the 2 Buss- On higher settings it didn't sound like what i thought saturation should sound like, it sounded like broken code. This didn't do the same thing on merely transient material.

Eveything under 20% sounded "correct."

Anyone care to tell me what I'm hearing?

bump ?

anything new on this report - broken code sounding issue ? really looking forward to trying the plug  soon .

I downloaded the demo and it just sounds like distortion on anything above 15-20%? Is this what its supposed to do? Im liking magneto way more right now.

Harry

Sunset Mastering & Recording
Harry Brookes

adoucette

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 11:46:47 PM »

I got this plugin today, sounds great! Definitely making the favorites list.

eloheim

URS Saturation Preferences
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2010, 05:37:51 PM »

Hello everyone.  I originally posted the following over on Gearslutz, but as I've subsequently discovered this thread (which it's perfect for) I thought people might get some ideas and share some of their own on the topic.  I wish I would have found this in the first place... Embarassed

I've been using URS Saturation on my mixes for a few months now and have found some definite algo preferences for certain sources, and I was wondering if anyone else has their own. I have a gain-compensated setup in Ableton Live I use to blindly compare the different saturation models on each source, and I've found a few choices that pop up over and over again. Keep in mind the music leans toward 90's-ish east-coasty hip hop.

Snare - MotorCity Pre
Hat/Cymbal - JFet Pre
Vocals - MotorCity Pre

I've also found I like the 15ips Tape better than the 30ips on pretty much everything.

As far as the transformer algo's I usually end up with the American Transformer for mid range-heavy sources (like vocals/snare) and the British Transformer on stuff with important high's/low's (like kick/bass/hat).

I really think (especially as far as the preamp models go) that the MotorCity Pre is their best model. I find myself using it the most often and in the biggest variety of situations compared to any of the others. (And it's NOT just because it's more 'gainy' than the other cause I pick it even when all the algo's are leveled to the ear!)

One more thing on how I use the different TYPES of models. If I use one of the preamp algo's I like it as the track's first plugin, whereas I tend to use the tape algo's last. The transformer ones I use on busses sometimes.

Anyone else that owns this plug have certain preferences of their own (in addition to the ones already mentioned in this thread)?

Chromatic Paste

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2010, 10:30:59 PM »

Recently I have found the URS Phat C's "Tape" saturation input stage preferable to the tape settings on the URS Saturation plug. It seems to soften transients nicely.

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2010, 01:38:04 PM »

Bought it a couple of weeks ago.

Useful plug in.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Nicky D

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2010, 04:52:11 PM »

I first used the URS Sat plug a couple years ago and thought I loved it..now I don't seem to have any use for it...the better my listening environment got the more i laid off of it...airwindows seems to have more useful sat type plugs like Channel and Iron Oxide...which took a while for me to figure out how to get  working for me...15 ips and slammed isn't where that plug shines...but I tend mostly to not use saturation plugs..although that harrison mixbus clunky virtual mixer thingy had a very nice sounding saturation...they should just make that a plug

adoucette

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2010, 01:37:48 AM »

I've been using this plugin alot lately, I absolutely love it. It can completely shape a track to a whole new (or old if you prefer) light and bring out some beauty in the lows and highs of the track. I generally have it on the 30ips tape setting. I'll sometimes use it in place of a compressor, say, on overheads where I only need a little bit of compression to act as more of a glue. Overuse can of course be a little much if you do it on every track - I like how clean digital is. I'll often have the drive at about 50-65% but there are instances where I have driven it 100%. The mix I'll usually keep at 100% but sometimes I will drive it 100% but bring the mix back, its a little different than driving it only a certain amount.

I really dig the "motor city preamp" mode too, adds all sorts of fun character to a track. I've used it to distort bass, crush room mics, or even "vintage" up a drum mix.

Over the mix buss I like it, but am always a bit cautious about throwing it on and dialing it a tape setting. I don't much like the idea of driving my clear mix hard to a tape saturator, so i'll put on a setting like... 55% drive, 75% mix on 30ips setting.. This gives me enough of what I love while still preserving a little of the "bounce" in the mix.

My clients ears perk up and they get huge smiles when I A/B the plugin on and off. "Magic" they say.

Killer saturation plugin and well worth the investment. I have the crane song phoenix as well as the digi tape suite. I should do an A/B comparison and post.

Get it!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.