R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: URS Saturation Plug  (Read 40934 times)

Bob Olhsson

Re: URS Saturation Plug
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »

I'm not sure what he thinks is Motown.

His 1953 sounds like a description of what was used by most American studios between 1953 and the first transistor stuff came out in the mid '60s.

jchristopherhughes

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 05:03:19 PM »

Ross Hogarth wrote on Wed, 01 October 2008 13:57

http://www.ursplugins.com/ursSat.html

this plugin is a winner it adds harmonics and does a very unique thing
when used on a vocal it can bring out frequency's without needing eq or compression
on drums it can act as a transient designer
it is extremely versatile
there are 9 algorithms right now to choose from and each one has a very different response and curve
one very cool feature is the ability to mix or blend the wet to dry
so you can strap the plug across the channel and blend to taste
as an rtas plug i found it efficient (enough)
this plugin is well worth your time to demo and try
i do not think there is another out there right now that does what this does

i have found the same thing ross.

i am new to mixing totally in the box...and have been searching for plugs that can give me the gunk that i get on a desk.

like the mcdsp analog channel....massey tape head...and the crane song phoenix...all do cool things.

this urs things does stuff nothing short of a tape, or good analog gear does.

i have been loving the plug on damn near everything.  always have it on my stereo buss of late.

REALLY like what it can do to a vocal track....love the mix control....i just dial in the amount of saturation that sounds cool...and play with the mix control until the vocal pops out in a cool way.

this thing is also insane for distortion on drums, guitars...etc.  if i want something really extreme, i will use a sans amp, my culture vulture...or even a pair of overdriven daking modules...but overall...this plug is knocking me out.

i have not had any power problems...using it rtas on a digi le rig.  mac g5 computer...but then again...i dont use alot of plugs.

last mix was 32 channels....had 14 tracks of drums all with a urs saturation on em...as well as 3 drum busses, guitar buss, bass buss, ld vocal, bup vocal buss, and the main mix buss.

its a great plug....hate to say it...and pardon the lame use of the word...but its VERY ANALOG sounding.

really.

just my 2 cents.

best,

jchristopherhughes

jchristopherhughes

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 07:34:56 PM »

thanks

just wondering which ones you seem to gravitate to
I seem to be using the motorcity on vocals primarily

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

jchristopherhughes

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 08:31:53 PM »

motor city and british on vocals.

been loving the 15ips tape on mix buss..a project i am mixing right now has a 70's vibe...lovin the low end bump and squash the 15 is giving me.

finally getting a bit of that low end and top end i have been missing since goin itb mostly.  

i also like the saturation that i can get out of the american trannie deal.  does some cool stuff to the top end on brite cymbals...etc.

have you used the urs eq's ?

i'm workin with waves rens and filter bank right now...have thought about the waves api pack...really like the top end on it.  have never tried the urs eqs.

best,

jchristopherhughes
jchristopherhughes

Bryson

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 10:59:54 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Fri, 10 October 2008 10:25

Ross Hogarth wrote on Fri, 10 October 2008 18:18

close

Motorcity = MOTOWN

Ah yes, sorry for my mistake.

Putnam/UREI... that was Chicago of course.

So, Motown... Quad-Eight, Electrodyne or what?

Western Electric?

jchristopherhughes

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 12:54:57 PM »

ok.

american classic....

holy dsp batman !!

i hear ya ross...i have a g5 as well....about 5 instances of urs sat using that program....and my cpu is maxin.  when i first got the plug, i suppose i was not using that particular setting.  i still lean to the tape stuff...but the american transformer thing sounds really good.

damn....it sounds so good.

overall still happy with the urs overall....enough that i bought the api-type eq....it sounds really nice too.  great plugins.

hope to pick up the waves api bundle soon as well so i can "kinda" have a few 560's for drums.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes

jchristopherhughes

jchristopherhughes

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 01:32:10 PM »

been really loving the urs saturation on a recent mix.

the band i am mixing tracked the record at their practice spot...to a digi002...very minimal...in a fairly nice sounding room.  basic mic preamps...nothing spectacular.

what they would like is for the record to sound like flying burrito brothers or old graham parsons....or a more modern reference...like some of ryan adam's work.

in a perfect world...they would have tracked to 16tk 2" and really slammed the meters particularly on drums and vocals...they could not afford to do that.

i have made extensive use of the saturation plug on nearly every track...and the main stereo buss.    usually using the 15 ips tape setting on drums and bass...and the 30 ips on the main buss.  a bit of the british setting on some guitars....

upon first listen, they asked if i had transfered it all to 2".  just a bit of grind on every track really helped pull this project closer to the intended sound.

the difference when i bypass all the saturation plugs is incredible.

what a great plug.

best,

jchristopherhughes

jchristopherhughes

JGauthier

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 02:29:37 PM »

Man, Im going to have to download the trial on this just to see what you guys are loving so much! Ive steered clear of saturation plugs as I have never been a big fan of them in the past...

And Bryson and Ross Hogarth- off topic but I was raised in Woodland Hills down the street from El Camino high school! It just always trips me out to see so many people from specifically Woodland Hills! I still remember when they made the movie "Valley Girl" and somebody went down Valley Circle Blvd and changed ALL the signs for MILES from "Valley Cir" to "Valley Girl"... ahhh memories

Sorry guys back to the topic! Smile

jchristopherhughes

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 03:03:38 PM »

JGauthier wrote on Sat, 25 October 2008 13:29

Man, Im going to have to download the trial on this just to see what you guys are loving so much! Ive steered clear of saturation plugs as I have never been a big fan of them in the past...

And Bryson and Ross Hogarth- off topic but I was raised in Woodland Hills down the street from El Camino high school! It just always trips me out to see so many people from specifically Woodland Hills! I still remember when they made the movie "Valley Girl" and somebody went down Valley Circle Blvd and changed ALL the signs for MILES from "Valley Cir" to "Valley Girl"... ahhh memories

hi j,

its a cool plugin.  i like the crane song phoenix for subtle coloring, and the mcdsp analog channel when i really want some dirt....but this urs thing can do alot of the same...and more.

as a guy who still yearns for the old days of a 16 track 2", mci or trident desk and who has a complete disregard for METERS on tape machines......this thing can get some of that vibe i often miss these days.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes

jchristopherhughes

JGauthier

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 05:17:02 PM »

jchristopherhughes wrote on Sat, 25 October 2008 12:03

hi j,

its a cool plugin.  i like the crane song phoenix for subtle coloring, and the mcdsp analog channel when i really want some dirt....but this urs thing can do alot of the same...and more.

as a guy who still yearns for the old days of a 16 track 2", mci or trident desk and who has a complete disregard for METERS on tape machines......this thing can get some of that vibe i often miss these days.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes

Thats exactly how I feel about tape. I miss it. I transferred a crap load of 4 track tapes from when I was young about 5 years ago just for my own archives (sadly a little too late as some of the tapes had seriously degraded) and it was wierd to actually hear a lot of things I LIKED about those terrible recordings (and they were terrible). Not that a crappy cassette is the same as 2 inch but that tape compression and color is just very very cool- EVEN on crappy cassette. Plus we just did a bunch of 2 inch transfers that I mastered afterwards and mastering tape VS digital is F'ING WRONG...So much better and EASIER. Ive been looking for something to cure that but I have yet to find anything that REALLY works most of the time.

I have not tried the Phoenix. The URS is appealing cause I really liked their API and Neve eqs- which when not compared to the originals sound good and are surprisingly usefull.

Its been a few years since I looked at saturation plugs and Ive grown quite curious again seeing posts like these and people like JJ finding them usefull ( considering he seems to have good ears and discerning tastes ).

Im moving the studio to a new location this week though so Im gonna have some BS to do before I can even try it! The carpet goes in Monday then I move the 55 gallon reef tank... Ugh... I'd much rather shoot out plug ins!

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 07:10:43 PM »

JGauthier wrote on Sat, 25 October 2008 11:29

i live very close to el camino
actually on the same street just not next to it
it will prolly be the high school the kids go to

i grew up in nyc so as far as home,
woodland hills is where i live, where i'll live
and ny is home

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

maarvold

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 06:39:37 PM »

I bought the Saturation plug, really, on the strength of the opinions expressed in this forum topic.  Although I'm not 'in love', I do like it a lot and find myself using it quite a bit, at the moment anyway.  There are several different 'flavors' that seem useful, whereas with Phoenix I use 1 particular flavor 99% of the time.  It seems like this plug helps me to be happier with sounds that are too 'ticky', lacking in body or 'creaminess' or 'digital-sounding'.  Bottom line: for me it was a good investment.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »

A new update has the american transformer with much less of a cpu hog and
smoother response
I totally gig this plugin

www.hoaxproductions.com

recall

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »

I'm finding the cumulative effect of this far more useful than just using it on the mixbus.
Currently I'm just using the 30ips presets for each channel.  Doing this has a great effect.  I'm just dipping my toes into it really.  Looking forward to using the 15ips on each channel when the material warrants it.
Iwan Morgan
Producer/Engineer
www.westwalesgothic.co.uk

JGauthier

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 07:40:57 AM »

So I finally had some time to try the demo and it says its wrapper only for Protools?

I just stopped...

Am I missing something or is it a wrapper only app in rtas? No TDM? It was about 4 in the morning so Im definitely groggy!

Man, I think I need to reread this thread! Im sure its already been discussed!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 22 queries.