R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PT export to other DAW/system?  (Read 4980 times)

drumsound

PT export to other DAW/system?
« on: June 12, 2004, 04:39:12 PM »

J Halls thread about PT heregot me thinking and wondering a bit.  Is it that hard to get audio files in a standard format of some sort and import them into any system you choose?  I?m asking because I?m curious, not because I trying to start something.  When I?m not on tape I use a RADAR.  I can export the tracks as broadcast waves (BWF) and burn a DVD with each song in its own folder.  I?ve had two clients take the DVDs to their home DAWs (one PTLE one Vegas I think) and they imported the files into a new project and they were off and running.  

Is it hard to just extract the files from a PT back-up?  I believe in DP there is a folder with audio files from each project.  Couldn?t you just import those into whatever program you like?  If someone is sending songs to a mix engineer, you wouldn?t want any rough mix things there.  I would expect the engineer would want to start with a clean slate.  If I was hiring a mix engineer I?d trust that he/she would do their thing, not want to build on mine.  Am I wrong here?  Are mixers starting with the PT session from tracking that might have some plug-ins and fader moves?  

I tend to work a project from start to finish, so I haven?t had to deal with this much.  The last mix I did that I didn?t track was done at the home studio it was tracked at.  All ITB on Paris.  I know I can import BWF into the RADAR and mix, though I haven't done it yet.

j.hall

Re: PT export to other DAW/system?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 07:43:27 PM »

i have yet to see a DAW transfer to another seamlessly

maybe that is changing

but it's a real pain to have to drag all the files into a new session and make sure they are all lined up and playing properly

especially when some jack rod didn't label the files anything better then "audio-1, audio-2...."

drew

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 01:28:42 AM »

I do it all the time, both ways (errr, that didn't sound right) You have to know your software. I've had to go to guys places (Nuendo users) and figure out on their rig how to do it.

In PT it's as easy as selecting the all group, triple click anywhere in the timeline, then hit the F key (command focus on) to do fades (we don't want any clicks), then select Consolidate selection, makes one file per track and then select command/shift/K (export selected as files) and pick a destination. On a G5 this ridiculously fast. Then Undo it in your master session and you're back to where you were and you've just exported all the audio needed in the timeline. This won't export audio that's part of the session but not being used though.
drew

spankenstein

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 11:36:06 AM »

Since i work in Sonar I can only comment on it but here is what would make it easy for me to export.

I have per project directories on. 1 directory contains every thign for a project.

I name each channel as I create it. The wav files are then named like "clean guitar (1).wav" and so on.

Then you can use the bounce to clip to make all of the wav files one and export it.

It would be REALLY cool if all of these competing DAW manufacturers would come up with a standard. The project files shouldn't really be so different since they all keep basically the same info. Unfortunately my utopian vision will probably never work because anynoe with talent tends to have an abundance of hubris (the overstatement was intentional).

HTML is a standard too... lol...

meverylame

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 12:41:13 PM »

I always consolidate all the files before I send it any where else. The down side being you better not make any dodgy edits, but short of that it makes for a super easy import.
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 09:35:31 AM »

if i'm on PT and receive a PT session that was consolodated.....that wouldn't make me too happy

it's very useful to see where punches were done and edits were made

if something i do during the mix creates a problem with a punch or edit, i'll be able to quickly locate it and fix it.

if i'm working from one DAW to another.....you better give me whole files or, "humpty dumpty simply won't go back together again"

meverylame

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 10:20:14 AM »

[quote title=j.hall wrote on Mon, 14 June 2004 09:35]
it's very useful to see where punches were done and edits were made
quote]

Yeah, definately the downside to that approach.
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

Fibes

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 10:39:06 AM »

I've only had one problem with transfers and that was with J.

Not our fault however... I do wish I had sent a safety of the tracks...

I agree about the edits and such, I like to know where they are but we never had that option with tape punches so if the edits are done well it shouldn't be a problem. The fact is, most of the time, they are a problem.

Our CaPE project utilized, Radar, DP3.11, Nuendo, Samplitude, ProTools and 2". Everything went incredibly smooth but there was a fair amount of checking on my part... The mixer had a copy of DP and Protools so life was pretty easy. We even provided track sheets in addition to the file names. The only rub on my end was the filename conversion from the Nuendo and Radar systems to Mac. What the fuck is a: R26AU~l.wav? It's Roomaudienceleft.wav.

This is where track sheets are still important...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

henchman

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 03:39:12 PM »

OMF exports will do it. of course digi, scared to death of cross platform compatability becasue it will destroy their market share, make you pay for this option.
However, if you can get a copy of Digitranslater, you can convert a PT 5.1 session to and from OMF. I think it's $500,-.
So, cheaper than buying a 15k PT system.
I have sued it to get stuff to and from my nuendo and fairlight systems.

TotalSonic

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 10:41:21 AM »

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned EDL Convert.
It's a PC app that allows import/export conversion of edit decision list session files from one platform to another.  Support includes PT5, OMFI, OpenTL, TascamBU, Samplitude, Wavelab, SADIE, Sonic, AES31, SAWStudio, Vegas, Audition, and a couple of others.
While not totally seamless - it will get you 80-90% there.
$250 from http://www.cuibono-soft.com

Best regards,
Steve Berson

drew

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 09:30:11 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 21 June 2004 10:41

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned EDL Convert. - it will get you 80-90% there.

you answered your own question I think.

j.hall

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 09:46:41 AM »

hahahahaha

i didn't even think about that

pretty funny drew.....

i have three clients already that work in PT LE or 001, so conversions are a non issues here in about a week

prior to now, they had to pay more money to convert over to tape....

i say.....just work in PT and no one will have a problem

hahaha

TotalSonic

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 06:28:00 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 14:46

i say.....just work in PT and no one will have a problem

hahaha

Except for having to pay 40-50% more for a rig that will get you the same results if we're comparing costs between an HD setup and a seriously decked out native rig.  For a commercial studio the difference is no big deal.  For someone on a budget making a project studio then this can be the difference between being able to afford to get really great outboard or not.

I think PT HD is without a doubt a great system.  But for those getting a native system you're seriously limiting your capabilities by choosing PT LE over apps like SAWStudio, Samplitude or Nuendo.
Basically - PT LE is a slug compared with SAWStudio.  

Anyway - EDL Convert lets you open OMFI for $250.  Last I checked Digi wanted twice that much for Digitranslator. If I have to take a couple minutes to set a few things to where I want them ain't a big deal to me - any session I import the client is usually asking me to do this for them anyway.  And I doubt even opening a PT session on another PT rig you are 100% there unless you share the exact same plugins.  

So - if I'm on a native system - instead of being a Digi-zombie I'd rather be able to afford more gear and work with more tracks & be able to load more effects and have it all still have a faster response.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

j.hall

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 03:09:06 PM »

i agree about LE.....

i was just making a joke anyway.........
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 19 queries.