R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SSL 4000 G Alignment?  (Read 20832 times)

ssltech

Re: SSL 4000 G Alignment?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »

...It should be labeled.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

meteo

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 03:27:36 AM »

labeled with what? in the pcb i have one trimmer with written "max" and others trimmers with different name. wich is the right one?

ssltech

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 09:20:38 AM »

Look again. The one which you're reading as 'Max' will be "I MAX" which is maximum current before shut down.

They should all be labeled in the silk screen with their function, and each rail's regulator/trimpot grouping should also be identified.

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

meteo

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »

so the i max is the correct trim that i have to move to calibrate 20v?

ssltech

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 11:26:12 PM »

No... that's the maximum current... hence "I Max".

If what the various markings mean isn't clear to you, I would STRONGLY caution you against making the adjustment yourself.

Keith

meteo

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 03:22:17 AM »

i've seen my tech many times doing it, but i've never done by my self. is not possibile to know wich trim have i to use instead of being so misterius? i'm here just to learn something new. is not the main reason why someone writes on a forum? im glad for your help and patience, but i can't undestand why with a so simple question there's should be such a big mistery..

ssltech

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »

Well the risk is that the power supply is capable of doing considerable damage if wrongly set, and "I've seen my tech doing this before" is a line in a song which I've heard several times, frequently following the line "I can't understand what went wrong", if you know what I mean.

Seriously though, ALL of those trim pots are there for a reason, and they can and do interact. Increasing or decreasing the voltage will increase or decrease the quiescent current load. -Setting the current trip too low or too high can result in either insufficient failure protection (although SSL consoles do have a couple of 'levels' of protection; the breakers at the patchbay being one example)

The four trimpots for that rail (some only have three... +250/263V being one, but I'm pretty sure from memory that +20V and -20V have all four) are (I think) labeled Vmax, Vout, Itrip and I-SC.

If you don't have a fairly thorough understanding of V and I and how they interact (which is the most basic law of electronics; Ohm's law) then I hope that you can understand my concern that you really REALLY might be better advised to consider having someone ELSE do this; someone with a bit more experience.

WATCHING a tech turn a screwdriver in a trim pot is one thing. -What you see is a hand turning a screwdriver. -What you DON'T see is the thought process which keeps an eye open for anticipated problems, and a reasoning which knows when to shut the power off... FAST.

-Honestly, I'm not trying to be mysterious or 'elitist'. I'm just concerned from the questions that you've asked and how you've asked them, because when I've answered those questions in the past without this amount of caution, I've -more times than I care to count- received a phone call the next day which begins: "Okay... I switched everything off REALLY fast, but when can you get over here and take a look at something".

Honestly, I believe that EVERY tech who reads the information I've already given you before this post would be able to know how to do it. -Power supplies are NOT things that you fiddle and tweak unless you have a working knowledge of electronics, and asking if 'I Max' is what you turn to adjust the +20V voltage honestly suggests to me that you don't.

Please... anyone else who thinks I'm out of line or over-reacting, feel free to chime in and correct me.

Keith

radardoug

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 02:02:58 PM »

meteo wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 02:22

i've seen my tech many times doing it, but i've never done by my self. is not possibile to know wich trim have i to use instead of being so misterius? i'm here just to learn something new. is not the main reason why someone writes on a forum? im glad for your help and patience, but i can't undestand why with a so simple question there's should be such a big mistery..

SSltech is absolutely right in his reply, coming I suspect from many years of experience with desks and clients.
When I read your post I get ***Warning Warning***. Now you might have seen your tech do it, but please, get him back and pay him again! The power supply on an SSL is capable of doing enormous damage to itself, the console, and to you. It might just sit there most of the time, but it is connected to the mains, and is designed  to control a large amount of power. If that power finds the wrong path to ground, like you for instance, then it could be very bad.

Tell me, would you step in front of a train? because this supply could do the same to you.
Would you put your car in front of a train? because that power supply can do the same to your console.

If you want to learn, talk to your tech, study for 10 years, become an apprentice. Knowledge is power, but stupidity is everywhere.

CWHumphrey

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »

E=IR

That pretty much tells the story.

But seriously, if you've changed any of those pots inside of the PSU, stop now and call a qualified tech.

Unfortunately, this calibration was not one of SSL's better ideas.  It's a 2 man job.

I don't miss sticking my hands inside and feeling like I'm going to get shocked at any moment by the filter cap.

Cheers,
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 16 queries.