R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SSL 4000 G Alignment?  (Read 20827 times)

jwhmca

SSL 4000 G Alignment?
« on: September 30, 2008, 12:02:50 AM »

About a year ago, I remember reading this nice Alignment procedure for all the 611 daughter cards EQ... DYN... etc.

For the life of me I can't seem to find it NOW!

Any ideas on which manual it is in?

Dave Hecht

Re: SSL 4000 G Alignment?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:46:34 AM »

I recall getting a copy of the alignment procedure direct from SSL years ago. I don't recall it being in the service manual. If it was included in the manual, I'd expect it to be in the console service manual in section 1 - channel module. I doubt I'll have a chance to scan and upload it, but you can give recycled audio a try, they're former SSL staff providing support for E & G series consoles.

Dave Hecht

jwhmca

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 01:36:13 PM »

Unless I'm completely blind it's not in the Console service manual.

jwhmca

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »

Found...

If any body else needs it let me know.

BTW. It was loose in a folder of old papers from the original owner.

Geoff Doane

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:15:59 AM »

On the topic of SSL 4000 alignment, it looks like I will shortly want to adjust the power supply voltages for our console.  The manual says to measure the analog (or analogue) and logic voltages along the bottom of the 615 frame's motherboard, and adjust the voltages at the power supplies.  That seems simple enough, except that the power supplies are in a different room from the console (probably not an uncommon scenario).  Does anyone have tips for accomplishing this?

The other wrinkle for this installation is the fact that there are two power supplies, connected to a "changeover" panel, and then to the 48 channel console.  The PSUs are essentially in parallel (through the steering diodes in the changeover panel), and feed the whole console, except that one supply can't provide enough current for the whole console, only the center section and four buckets.  When the console was commissioned, the factory tech carefully balanced the two sets of supply voltages so they would share the load more or less equally.  I forget his exact technique, but I was planning to adjust each supply while it was running the center section and three buckets.  Does this sound like it could work?

GTD

amorris

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:00:45 AM »

Quote:

the power supplies are in a different room from the console (probably not an uncommon scenario). Does anyone have tips for accomplishing this?

an assistant with a cell phone?

Geoff Doane

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 02:03:56 PM »

amorris wrote on Thu, 02 October 2008 12:00

Quote:

the power supplies are in a different room from the console (probably not an uncommon scenario). Does anyone have tips for accomplishing this?

an assistant with a cell phone?

That had occurred to me, but I think I'd miss the more immediate visual feedback.  I was thinking more along the lines of short circuit protecting the voltage lines, adapting them to an XLR and trunking them into the equipment room.  With the 10MΩ input resistance of the DVM, I figured all that extra wire wouldn't matter, but I'm open to suggestions.

GTD

Dave Hecht

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 03:00:52 PM »

Definitely an assistant with a cell phone. I just have someone read the voltages to me - not just "up" & "down" - it actually works quite well.

As for the calibration, it should be done, one supply at a time, with 40 channels ( 5 buckets) and the center section powered up. Set the 20v (18v) rails to +/- 18.6v by reading between each rail and ground, and the 7 v rails to 6.5v by reading between the +18v and 11v rails. Also, be careful inside the supply - the trims are on the motherboard. You have to reach down with a long screwdriver. Either insulate the blade with shrink tubing, or use a fiberglass blade.

Dave Hecht

Geoff Doane

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 09:16:49 AM »

Thanks Dave.  I don't remember the factory tech using someone else to help with the adjustments, but it's been more than 10 years.  Embarassed I assumed he had some trick or another for doing this.

My recollection is that one supply won't run 40 channels without tripping an overcurrent device somewhere, but maybe my memory is fuzzy on that too.

What has precipitated this is one of the regulator cards failing.  The little transformer is only putting out about half the voltage it should.  For a long screwdriver, I still have my long insulated tweaker for adjusting the MCI plasma meters.

GTD

ssltech

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 10:11:27 PM »

The SL611 calibration adjustment instructions which I have are what I use on the SL612 test jig, but they can also be done in the console. -And no, they were never included as part of the standard manual so far as I know, but they were written as a specification/standard for in-house testing/calibration, and were shared/leaked fairly generously over the years.

For center-section calibrating of the PSUs, either walkie-talkie or cellphone/intercom an assistant...

...OR...

Run a 6-conductor cable from a panel in the machine room to the console center section, and tap it to "sniff" the rails. -For a one-off calibration it gan be temporarily tacked-in at the console end, and run through doorways; -in a better-planned installation, this can be made permanent, and available on the wall to maybe a pair of probe sockets and a 5-way switch, with +18, -18, +13 +48 and +250(x10) on it... with a 9-meg resistance in series with the +250 line. -Plugging a 1mΩ input impedance fluke meter in to this socket for example -just like a scope- will cause +263 volts to read 26.3V.

This can be used to measure AND read from the machine room... on a panel next to the power supply changeover unit for example.

When setting these up, I like to power off approximately HALF of the buckets for a 2-PSU setup. That way each respective PSU inder test is supplying approx. 50% of the total load, which will reflect its anticipated load once both supplies are on. For a 3-PSU setup, popwer off two-thirds of the console, and so forth.

If you REALLY want to make things super-fly, you can build in a digital panel meter properly accommodated, next to the rotary switch. -I have an LCD unit here which I've been MEANING to get round to doing that with...

...-one of these days... (sigh!)

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Dave Hecht

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 07:06:48 PM »

Geoff Doane wrote on Fri, 03 October 2008 06:16

Thanks Dave.  I don't remember the factory tech using someone else to help with the adjustments, but it's been more than 10 years.  Embarassed I assumed he had some trick or another for doing this.

My recollection is that one supply won't run 40 channels without tripping an overcurrent device somewhere, but maybe my memory is fuzzy on that too.

What has precipitated this is one of the regulator cards failing.  The little transformer is only putting out about half the voltage it should.  For a long screwdriver, I still have my long insulated tweaker for adjusting the MCI plasma meters.

GTD

I just finished installing & calibrating a G+ a month ago, used the 40 channel + center section method to set up the supplies - worked fine.

As I recall from some old SSL literature, one supply can handle 40 channels, center section + bargraphs.

Dave Hecht

ssltech

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 05:45:14 PM »

A 40 channel console is about the biggest that I'd run with a single supply, but back in the 1980s SSL was supplying 48-channel consoles from new with a SINGLE supply... over time I've come to regard this as 'optimistic', and a local 40-loaded studio has TWO supplies and a changeover unit which was retrofitted here in Florida... Owing to a MAJOR flame-out in the original PSU, one supply feeds only
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Dave Hecht

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 06:29:34 PM »

Completely agree. Years ago I had a 40 ch 6K that ran on one supply with no problems. Anything bigger than that requires an additional supply. The ideal setups I've seen had 1 more supply than needed to run comfortably - a 72 ch w 3 supplies and a 96 ch w 4 supplies. In the event of a failure in one supply, the console can continue to run with no problem.

Dave Hecht

John Monforte

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 10:55:45 PM »

You can do it by yourself. Here's how.

Measure the voltage at the console end with one supply on. Figure out the difference between where you are and where you need to be. Measure the voltage at the output of the switchover unit. Change it by the amount you figured in the previous step.

Now, to share the load as much as possible, turn on the second supply. Measure the difference voltage across the outputs of the supplies (or the inputs to the changeover unit) and set the second supply for 0v difference.

From conception to posterity through invisible technology.

meteo

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 11:15:46 AM »

hi guys, can someone tell me wich trimmer have i to move on the psu to align the +20 v? i've seen under the regulator cards that ther are more than one. so wich one is it correct?
i have an ssl 400e.
Thanks a lot.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 16 queries.