R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundtracs topaz 24x8  (Read 21773 times)

hargerst

Re: Soundtracs topaz 24x8
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2004, 10:12:26 PM »

meverylame wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 15:45

I just bought a 32x8 board. I have a new problem. I need to get it to me. What the best most economical way of doing so?

I might be able to help out - part way at least.  I may be going out to Las Vegas next week to see an old friend. I can get the Topaz and at least get it 1,400 miles closer to you.  The trip from Georgia to Dallas isn't too bad.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

meverylame

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2004, 06:36:24 PM »

Really? That would be incredible Harvey. As for Dallas my Dad lives in Waco, so I'm rather familiar with the drive. Let me contact the seller and talk to him about that, and get back with you. Thanks so much.

Jason
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

Zoesch

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2004, 09:52:51 PM »

Rocc wrote on Thu, 08 July 2004 09:30

Would anyone know where I could find a meter bridge for my Topaz 32. I really would like to find one.

"Rocc"

I'd give Tim Jones at Studio Systems a call as he might have one around.
It has always been Ringo's fault

meverylame

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2004, 08:39:35 PM »

Zoesch wrote on Sat, 12 June 2004 21:45

... those who know about them and about modding them never let go of them.

I called Jim Williams at audio upgrades about modding the master section. I know J. Hall had this done on his Amek. Anyone have any experience with actually modding this board? He's wanting 250 to do this. Worth while venture?
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

Zoesch

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2004, 09:00:56 PM »

meverylame wrote on Fri, 16 July 2004 10:39

Zoesch wrote on Sat, 12 June 2004 21:45

... those who know about them and about modding them never let go of them.

I called Jim Williams at audio upgrades about modding the master section. I know J. Hall had this done on his Amek. Anyone have any experience with actually modding this board? He's wanting 250 to do this. Worth while venture?

For which board?

The Tascam mods are worth it as far as I know, if you are knowledgeable you could do them yourself as they basically involve modding the opamps (Replacing all the crappy TL072's with NE5532's and all the recapping and resistor changes needed for that to work)... I did that to my old M3700 myself (I did all the input modules and group modules as well) and the difference was like night and day.

tom eaton

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2004, 11:35:44 PM »

Jim Williams does NOT replace TLO72s with 55 series opamps.  His mod to my Amek Angela helped the master section tremendously.  He uses video opamps and careful selection of cap / ferrite / filtering to extend the bandwidth of the module.  A regular producer who works here commented out of the blue about how much better the board sounded after the mod.  He didn't even know that the mod had been done.

His work is very clean, and EXTREMELY reasonable for the results.  A local (good) tech here quoted me $1000 to overhaul my master section; Jim did it for $250 or something like that.

He knows his stuff.

http://www.audioupgrades.com/

A satisfied customer...

Zoesch

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2004, 06:49:07 AM »

Ter, I never said Jim used NE5532's... I said I did

Bandwidth isn't so much an issue with most opamps, it's the power coupling, the current drivers and the slew rate that really makes a difference.

I can vouch for Jim's work BTW, I've heard is mods on the Alesis HD24 and AMEK 2500 and they sounded great.

meverylame

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2004, 01:02:31 PM »

I was talking about my soundtracs topaz. I called and he said he's familiar with the board and can mod it. Any one hear said mod?
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

theo mack

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2004, 10:31:47 PM »

I had a MRX 32 x 8 soundtracs desk for years.

I was really ok.  the eq's were very nice, not api nice but better than mackie. pres were nice too.

If fact the desk is still being used. A friend has it in a studio in palm springs. The only bad things I remember were:
The group outs were unbalanced, as were the input line ins. the group outs were a bit noisy. and the 2 bus master section would die about every 2 years. The control room solo relay would die from time to time too.  I bet the topaz with the audio upgrades mods in the master section would be sweet.
At $250 it's a steal for that kind of mod.

theo mack
Freelance Audio Guy

Las Vegas, NV.

meverylame

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2004, 02:53:38 PM »

Hi Harvey,
        I've got a real big problem. I bought that soundtracs 32x8 board about a month and some change ago, and I still can't get it shipped. I had arranged to have a freighter to get the board immediately. Long story short the freighter messed about and still hasn't gotten it. The guy that owns it is pissed because he spends 6 grand a month and wants it out. And the real kick in the nuts is he reccomended the freighter, and now its "Its not problem, he's not my guy". He's leaving town on friday for a month. Do you know anyone that can do the job? I'm really in a bind. Any help or advice would be awesome.
Jason
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

hargerst

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2004, 04:22:56 PM »

Rats. I never heard back from you, so I canceled my trip.  Go to http://www.Baxglobal.com and check with them about boxing and shipping it.  They're cheap, reliable, and fast - way cheaper than UPS.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Brendan

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2004, 02:58:43 AM »

I recently sold a 32x8 Topaz. Needed money for other gear.

It was a great mixer for the money--I'd say the best in it's price range. I liked the EQ in small doses.

The pres were acceptable. I was able to get some good drum sounds with them but I never once tracked a guitar sound that I was happy with through that board.

I'd still buy another one just to have, seeing how cheap they're selling.

It could be good board for mixing if supplimented with some outboard pres during tracking.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 22 queries.