R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could do with some absorption positioning advice please?  (Read 2144 times)

recall

Could do with some absorption positioning advice please?
« on: September 27, 2008, 05:34:29 PM »

Hi Guys,

Over the last couple of days I have built 4 absorbers consiting of two pieces of 100mm Rocksil RS60 per panel, backed with a frame and covered with fabric from IKEA (total depth over 8"inches)
I have just lugged them up the stairs to my studio and am conflicted as to where to put them.

I know that 1 in each corner would be recommended.

My room is 20 foot long
My monitors are 8ft from the door
These fire down the rest of the room which is 12 foot

Do I need to put the aborbers in thee corners by the door? This is the main thing I can't decide on, because my speakers are pointing away from these corners.

I considered putting them behind the speakers a couple of feet instead. I believe they are definitely needed in the corners behind my head (all four are in one corner in the photos below)

I would like to place them at the first reflection points but the due to the sloping roof, and my 3 sets of monitors I don't think I'd be able to get past them to get to my mix position!

So my main options I think are:

a)1 in each corner
b)2 behind the mix position, 2 placed behind the monitors

BTW this is the first step of my treatment plan.

Next, is hopefully a cloud above my head, a thinner panel attached to the sloping roof behind the mix position and some diffusion on the right hand side to match that of the window on the left.

I'd like to thank everybody so far who has contributed to threads on here and inspired me (with extremely limited DIY knowledge) to give it a go.
The hardest thing was trying to find the insulation company's HQ without Sat Nav!

Would very much appreciate your thoughts and suggestions,

Iwan
Iwan Morgan
Producer/Engineer
www.westwalesgothic.co.uk

recall

Re: Could do with some absorption positioning advice please?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 05:36:13 PM »

other direction from mix position, note the narrowness of the room.
Iwan Morgan
Producer/Engineer

Ethan Winer

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 02:18:06 PM »

recall wrote on Sat, 27 September 2008 17:34

Do I need to put the aborbers in thee corners by the door? This is the main thing I can't decide on, because my speakers are pointing away from these corners.

Bass builds up in all corners, and this is unrelated to which way the speakers are pointing because "pointing" relates only to mid and high frequencies. Further, even if speakers were directional at low frequencies, waves from the other end of the room come back to the front and continue to bounce around. So in the large picture all corners are good. Your four traps are barely a start in a room that size. Very Happy

Quote:

Next, is hopefully a cloud above my head, a thinner panel attached to the sloping roof behind the mix position and some diffusion on the right hand side to match that of the window on the left.

An angled ceiling like that is another candidate for bass traps, as shown in the photo below.

--Ethan

http://www.realtraps.com/ceiling_traps.jpg

recall

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 03:15:06 PM »

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for your reply,

I have just placed the traps in each corner.  You are right that they are barely a start!

As for the ceiling, I was thinking of making traps that are half the thickness of the ones in the corner, so 100mm Rocksilk RS60.

Also, as you can probably tell from the pics from the mix position on my left is a large velux window, would it be advisable to hang some kind of diffusor on my right to try to match the reflection I'm getting on my left?

Thanks for your help.  I feel I am at the start of a winding road to sort my acoustic issues out!
Iwan Morgan
Producer/Engineer

Ethan Winer

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:46:31 PM »

recall wrote on Sun, 28 September 2008 15:15

would it be advisable to hang some kind of diffusor on my right to try to match the reflection I'm getting on my left?

I greatly prefer absorption at reflection points. So figure out a way to get absorption that's the same - and thick - on both sides. Put panels on stands or hang from the ceiling etc if needed.

--Ethan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.