R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Console help needed  (Read 2615 times)

Mark du Plessis

Console help needed
« on: May 27, 2004, 07:46:03 AM »

All,

I have owned my studio for about a year and it is time to re-invest. I have been looking to replace my beloved Clarec. The console sounds fantastic, but lacks some of the features I am looking for, like automation and tape return faders.

I have been looking at an SSL 4048E with G computer, black EQ throughout and bargraphs. I have done vast research and it seems to be at a really good price. I have also been offered a mint AMEK Galileo 56. It has never been installed and has 24 Neve modules. I have never heard the Galileo in anger, so have nothing to comapre it against.

I want to make sure I am doing the right thing with the SSL. It is such a large investment and even tho my business has flourished and I know I can make it work, this is probably the biggest single descision I have had to make as a business owner.

So, in the opinion of the learned people on this forum, which one would you prefer? AMEK Galileo or SSL 4000?

I am not asking for a business rubber stamp here, cos I have done all my plans and figures. I am just trying to get opinions.

Thanks,

Mark du Plessis
Mark du Plessis
Rain Studios
www.rainstudios.com

Erik

Re: Console help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 12:07:06 PM »

Don't know your business or clientele, but are you SURE your clients are demanding automation?

Likewise, is SSL a client demand?

--Erik
Erik Gavriluk, Bomb Factory Recording Studios
"The modern trouble is not the use of machinery, but the abuse of it." --Gustav Stickley, 1909

exit

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 12:33:42 PM »

I would be a bit cautious about buying an older SSL with the bargraphs. They can get very expensive to replace. The SSL is the only board I've worked on in that group, so I'm bias. I would say get it if the price is right and you or someone you can keep at arms length are qualified to work on it. They're good boards, but need attention just like anything else.

exit
Mark *exit* Goodchild

"The buffet plate is peaches, plums, oranges and bananas... You can have those bananas."

Mark du Plessis

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 03:05:42 PM »

I am beginning to get bigger mixes - more than 24 outs needed. I used to automate in PT/Nuendo, but most of my gear is outboard, so I can't automate reverbs,etc. Also muting is a problem. I am really buying this to move the studio up into the next league, so to speak.

With regards to the maint, I have a very good friend who is an excellent tech. Used to work at Calrec, Soundcraft and Focusrite, so knows his stuff. He keeps an eye on my present console. I have checked the board out thoroughly and it seems to have been well maintained.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark du Plessis
Rain Studios
www.rainstudios.com

drumsound

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 08:08:03 PM »

I think at this point the question becomes what is the main function of the room is.  If you're trying to attract outside engineers to come to your joint to mix, then you need the SSL because it's a standard yada yada.  If people are coming to work with you for your ears, taste etc, get the one that excites you most.

Zoesch

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 03:10:39 PM »

SSL 4000's are a bitch to maintain, parts are expensive, hard to come by and in some cases, well, completely unreliable.

Personally I'd go for the Galileo, provided of course the console is in good condition and you get access to the service logs for verification, to me AMEK's are a lot easier to work with and sound more pleasing than the 4K SSL's.

As with everything... YMMV.
It has always been Ringo's fault
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 18 queries.