R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pearlman Tm-Le  (Read 7570 times)

itsapleasure

Pearlman Tm-Le
« on: October 14, 2008, 03:16:08 PM »

Anyone care to share their opinions of this mic?  

maarvold

Re: Pearlman Tm-Le
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 04:18:43 PM »

I really think this mic has something special.  It's got guts & power.  A couple of people have told me that it seems bright, but it doesn't really hit me that way; it is not dark, though.  It has worked great for me on both male and female singers, but there was one female singer who made it sound 'broken' on her voice.  But I've used it and been VERY happy on many singers and in many settings.  It sounded especially good on Alvin Chia--bass singer for Take 6.  Also sounds great, although not quite as 'earthy' as a U67, on sax.  On Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Bands' new cd ("Act Your Age"), all the sax solos and all of Patti Austin's vocals on "September" were recorded with this mic.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Steve Hudson

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »

I've had a pair of these for about a year. They are well-balanced tonally and cut through a mix without being hyped on the top. They have nice low end, especially since I replaced the stock EF95s with NOS Mullards. I especially like them on acoustic guitars because they do have some "weight" as well as detail. Fabulous on electric guitars and pedal steel; I recorded Kim Deschamps (Cowboy Junkies) playing PS through a blackface Vibroverb and it was so sweet. The other producer/engineers at my studio seem to use them a lot, too, so I'll solicit some comments from them as well. I have used all of Dave Pearlman's designs and the TM-LE is by far my favorite.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

danickstr

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 05:32:32 PM »

I thought it had an OTK7 tube
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Steve Hudson

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:47:38 PM »

danickstr wrote on Thu, 16 October 2008 16:32

I thought it had an OTK7 tube

From the Pearlman web site:

The microphone features ... a hand selected military spec 6AK5 (5654 or European equivalent EF95)...

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

itsapleasure

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:34:39 PM »

sounds like a must try.  

Maarvold, I think I understand where you're coming from.  Very interesting...curious if the female "broken" issue was something like what I experienced last week w/ an 87ai.  

Steve, ever directly compare it to a 67?  I'm basically looking for a 67, but can't shell out anywhere near that kinda dough.  

Steve Hudson

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 05:38:25 PM »

itsapleasure wrote on Fri, 17 October 2008 15:34

sounds like a must try.  

Maarvold, I think I understand where you're coming from.  Very interesting...curious if the female "broken" issue was something like what I experienced last week w/ an 87ai.  

Steve, ever directly compare it to a 67?  I'm basically looking for a 67, but can't shell out anywhere near that kinda dough.  

I've A/B'ed it with my M269c, which has a bit of an extended top end compared with a U67, but the TM-LE does not have the kind of forward midrange that both of those Neumanns have. On many sources I find that the rich mids of the M269 a bit too much and think the TM-LE is more balanced tonally. For the money, the TM-LE is probably the single best mic in my bag.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 10:26:32 AM »

itsapleasure wrote on Fri, 17 October 2008 13:34

I keep saying this in various threads, but the only thing that sounds like a U67 is a U67.  This mic shares the same capsule, and that's about it.  A U67 is a very complicated circuit that has lots of filtering going on, which is a good part of what gives it its tone.  Nobody is recreating that circuit, that I know of.  

As far away from a real U47 as most clones are, this is even further.  It's a very cool mic, but it's really got nothing to do with a U67 sonically.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

maarvold

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 01:19:54 AM »

J.J. is right: it's not like a 67.  I've talked to Dave about emulating the 67 circuitry, but he wasn't really interested--probably because of the transformer needed.  But I still get plenty of use out of mine and still like it a lot.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

itsapleasure

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 04:52:29 PM »

eeentereting...

yeah..JJ- I know it's not going to be a 67 clone (due to the reasons that you mentioned), but what you said helps.  

i'll spare you guys w/ any more questions and try to get a hold of one to check out.  

I'm definitely open to other suggestions, but I want to follow the forum rules and not turn this into a GS thing...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.