R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please listen to this  (Read 2449 times)

OTR-jkl

Please listen to this
« on: June 16, 2004, 02:10:36 PM »

If you guys would, please go here [http://jeremycourtney.com/music.php] and check out the tunes under the "Things She Said..." title. You just click on a song title and it will download/play an mp3.

I recently mastered this project. The band is from Waco, Tx. They recorded and mixed it at an apartment with Nuendo. You can't hear any of the "before" but believe me, it sounded nowhere near as good as it does now. It was very muddy and had no punch at all. This was one of those cases where the Mastering was a major part of the sound.

Feel free to comment - good or bad - on the sound (my work). The mp3s are kinda quiet (not sure why). I hope the d/l will work for you as I am having trouble getting it to work lately (I keep getting the QuickTime broken link icon...).

Thanks.
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

OTR-jkl

Re: Please listen to this
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 02:55:28 PM »

No comments...? Is the d/l working?
J Lowes · OTR Mastering

jfrigo

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 04:21:19 PM »

OTR-jkl wrote on Fri, 18 June 2004 11:55

No comments...? Is the d/l working?

Well, I'm not at the studio so I can only offer rough comments from listening on headphones that I'm familiar with, so take these comments within the limitations under which they are offered.

In general it sounds pretty good. The first one may be a little tubby in the low end, the second one has a little distortion in a synth part especially noticeable on the left, and as I listened to the next few, there were little things here and there, but no major problems - maybe another that's just a little tubby. Musically it's reasonably good, with just a few spots the performances could be a bit tighter. The general impression I come away with is that the mixer likes ambiences and reverb, and the mastering engineer likes bass (though you do mention it was muddy when you got it). Again, these are quick first impressions from a headphone listen, so this could all be nonsense. I just wanted to say something since you seemed anxious for comments and were getting none. Maybe this will prime the pump a little.

OTR-jkl

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 05:07:42 PM »

Thanks, Jay. I'm interested to hear what you think when/if you can listen to it in your room...
J Lowes · OTR Mastering

Ed Littman

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 01:36:53 PM »

I listed to the second song. I thought overall it sounded good. The vocals were a bit harsh in the ch's & s's & when the chorus came in it sounded like 3k was way over the top. for this style the compression works well but for my tase in some spots i felt it restricted the dynamics to much. the bass sounds good on my system.
Ed

jfrigo

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 04:32:12 PM »

Ed Littman wrote on Sat, 19 June 2004 10:36

I listed to the second song.
(snip)
the bass sounds good on my system.
Ed

The bass thing, or mid bass really, I noticed more on the first song, and maybe the fourth of fifth - I forget which now. The second didn't seem bassy. I'll try to listen at the studio if I get a chance and see if it changes my first impressions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.