R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming music and what it means  (Read 2064 times)

Tricklecharge

Streaming music and what it means
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »

Hey, I don't know if anyone has noticed the new Myspace music options for bands(mainstream artists mostly it seems).  
Bands can now upload their entire catalog of music for people to stream for free.  And it made me think, even with a theoretical perfect copyright protection embedded in MP3s for sale, it seems that streaming music (Myspace, etc) is an extremely easy way to get whatever music you want, especially with playlisting.  

So.. With the new age where every person will have internet access in their phones, cars, etc.  Why is streaming "legal"? Confused

-Eric
"-Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work-"
 ..Gustave Flaubert..

compasspnt

Re: Streaming music and what it means
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »

Why are radio stations legal?

Streaming is a modern version of the radio station, with the ability to choose the programming.

Hopefully all are paying performance royalties (BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, PRS, etc.), but any other royalties would indeed be welcomed.

grantis

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »

[quote title=compasspnt wrote on Thu, 02 October 2008 15:39

Hopefully all are paying performance royalties (BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, PRS, etc.), but any other royalties would indeed be welcomed.
[/quote]

I've never gotten a penny of royalty from myspace, purevolume, numberonemusic, or any other countless sites.  

They assume they're doing small time bands a FAVOR by ALLOWING us to put our music on their high traffic sites.  I feel the end is near for the passivity of indie artists though.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Tricklecharge

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 02:34:04 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 02 October 2008 15:39

Streaming is a modern version of the radio station, with the ability to choose the programming.

Isn't that the reason for buying an album in the first place?  The right to choose when and where you want to play it?

Search for some of your favorite artists on myspace right now and you'll see that they've uploaded their ENTIRE catalog, U2 has 32 albums you can stream every song.  The Cure has 25.

I'm seriously in awe.  Anyone with an iPhone now has a mobile catalog of millions of dollars of songs, categorized, with artwork!

Am I the only one seeing this being a bad thing?
"-Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work-"
 ..Gustave Flaubert..

Tricklecharge

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 05:36:22 PM »

Wow nobody gives a shit?  Shocked
 ..Gustave Flaubert..

Chad Sims

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 06:15:44 PM »

Its there music let them do what they want.  If they start to see a decline in sales they will take the songs down.  It would be a problem if Myspace was allowing other people to post copyrighted material.  

Tricklecharge

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 02:17:20 AM »

True, I suppose ultimately its up the the artist.  
 ..Gustave Flaubert..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.