R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget Compression  (Read 11350 times)

Invisible Member

Budget Compression
« on: June 11, 2004, 12:22:18 PM »

Hi Harvey,

I was looking for some new budget compressors that were distinguishable but not trash. I already have ones from FMR, DBX166 and a 3630 left over from my live rig. I decided to gon onto ebay and look. There seems to be a glut of cheap compressor there and I'd like to know if there are any worth stick along side the one I already have. Mind you I can't justify a high dollar one quite yet so in you experiences what are some of the workable budget compressors you've used?

Ive seen models from Fostex, Alto, Aphex, Tascam, DBX's, Yamaha, Boss, Presonus, etc...

Thanks,
Dennis

MASSIVE Mastering

Re: Budget Compression
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 12:51:26 PM »

I'm a big fan of the Art Pro VLA...  Not the greatest for everything, but wonderful for a lot of stuff.
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

Invisible Member

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »

Thanks John, I knew you were going to mention the VLA.  Have you tried it on guitar? Primarily superstrats into a jcm800? Do you feel it bridges the gap to the more spendy units?

Peace,
Dennis

hargerst

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 04:32:45 PM »

We use the RNC's for most compression tasks with the DBX166 running a strong, but darker second choice. Also consider the Ashly SC50 or CL50, and the original Behringer Autocom as some low cost comps to add.

I wouldn't use the Alesis 3630 for any task in our studio.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

covert

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 08:39:56 AM »

This gets into that dreaded area where one is reluctant to mention anything they don't already have sufficient of.  Symmetrix 501 are still pretty inexpensive.  Search rec.audo.pro for information on the various models.  Aphex compellors, getting less cheap.  JBL/Urei 7110 are getting quite a bit more expensive.  

bloodstone

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 11:05:54 AM »

I'm pretty picky about sonic quality and gear performance and have some "high end" comps (Drawmer, Avalon, Empirical Labs).  I have found the Presonus Blue Max useful a number of times, mainly at mixdown.  On guitars, pedal steel, keyboards, backup vox and even the 2-Buss recently when everything else I had was patched somewhere else.  It can be finicky if you're in a balanced world with balanced patch bays.  I've had to use insert cables direct to the mixing board to get it to function correctly.  

drumsound

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 01:07:40 AM »

Joe Meek Not right for everything, but when they are on the right source it's a very good sound.  SC2.2 can be had for around $400 used.  They are really cool and colorful.  I just did a record where I used it for gtr sub and it was wonderful.  Drum sub for mid tempo is cool, some vocals.  

I'll also second the ART VLA.  The one I have came from the place I used to work when they first came out.  It's great tool.

Beezoboy

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 12:59:32 PM »

I use my 2 black sc-50's for guitar subs with about 7:1 compression and fast attck, medium relase, and input gain up a couple db. They sound awesome.

I have used the ART Pro VLA on 2- buss and it can do some cool stuff if you turn the Threshold up. I often times turn it up to +6 and it really tightens up the sound.

I am a big fan of the DBX 163x too. I use them for kick and bass subs quite a bit.  

Beez

John Ivan

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 01:18:25 PM »

I like my DBX 163 X's also. I have two DBX 1066's and if you stay away from the Peak Stop Limiting, they sound really good on guitars. I have a cheap Aphex easy rider that's a little noisy but sounds great on the over heads. There are lot's of cheap comps that sound good in the right place. The 3630 sits in the closet and the composer sits in the rack. I keep trying to find a use for it but, have a hard time.

I also like my Altec opto limiters on some stuff. They were pretty cheap and nothing sounds quite like one. Great on bass guitar.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Incognito

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 12:07:18 AM »

Peavey makes a good cheap unit (shares many parts with the mid level dbx units. I think it's a CEL-2. Why not just go RNC, though?

Invisible Member

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 11:02:19 AM »

Incognito wrote on Wed, 18 August 2004 21:07

Peavey makes a good cheap unit (shares many parts with the mid level dbx units. I think it's a CEL-2. Why not just go RNC, though?

I already have RNC's and was looking for different flavors in the budget realm. Thanks for the Peavey suggestion.

It think the VLA and the Altec opto lims are the ones I'll track down first.

Thanks all..
Peace,
Dennis

Incognito

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 10:37:40 PM »

Oops, I should have caught the FMR line in your original post.

Warhead

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 10:51:33 PM »

Are you looking for clean or colored compression?

War
Warren Dent
Owner: ZenPro Audio
www.ZenProAudio.com

j-unplugged

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 02:07:08 AM »

Hi Harvey and All,

I'm new here, but not everywhere.

Is the dbx166XL close enough to the dbx166 and by darker, is it a darker second place, or a darker sound?

I'll also look into the RNC, seems like a good deal.

How important is it to have a de-esser and should it be in the compressor?  Does it really work well?

asylumdigital

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 04:24:20 PM »

The ART ProVLA is @ MF right now for $239...
The Symetrix CL150 & 501 are pretty cool...
The Ashly SC50's are cool...
peace!
Scott Slagle
Asylum Digital Recording Studios
http://www.asylumdigital.com

MYSPACE @
http://www.myspace.com/scottsatasylumdigital

hargerst

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 04:37:06 PM »

I haven't A/B'ed the 166XL to the 166 yet.

Trumpetman2

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 08:57:25 AM »

I have a Symetrix CL-50....FANTASTIC if u like a particular fat, vintage sound!  It really adds "balls" to my trumpet sound!!!  I would pick that over the FMR eunuch ANY DAY! Laughing  

Dave Martin

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 09:07:32 AM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 07:57

I have a Symetrix CL-50....FANTASTIC if u like a particular fat, vintage sound!  It really adds "balls" to my trumpet sound!!!  I would pick that over the FMR eunuch ANY DAY! Laughing  

Umm, that's on trumpet. And to your taste...

I have a CL 50; it has at least as much coloration as an Alesis 3630 - a different (and to my ears, much better) coloration, but for my tastes, it's more of an 'effects box' than a compressor....

Ryan Slowey

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 08:48:40 PM »

the DBX 160x (or A, or XT) would be worth taking a look at. you can find them used for $200 and they're super useful for lots of things. i use mine most frequently on ac. guitar and bass, but have also had great luck on vocals and various percussion instruments.

the FMR RNLA is nice too. i've never used an RNC, so i can't compare them, but i enjoy the RNLA on various things.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

hargerst

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 10:28:51 PM »

Also look at the Behringer AutoComp; the old one ain't too bad.

And the old Ashlys are good too.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 12:48:27 PM »

The old dbx 118/119 series dynamics processors can add some cool vibe. Hard to find a clean one that doesn't need recapping but it's an easy DIY job.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Fibes

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 01:47:01 PM »

I used to use my DBX 900 series on a bunch of stuff. It's the poor man's 160a.

I'm also a big fan (in the FX dept) of the MXR Mini Limiters which can be had on Fleabay from time to time cheap but you gotta make a PSU.

Good luck bro.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

compasspnt

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 03:15:29 PM »

There will be a new Chameleon Labs stereo tube compressor in a couple of months.

Will be interested to see price and quality.

PookyNMR

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 11:36:18 AM »

Or here's a thought that will surely catch me some flak:

Why not buy a plug-in emulation of a top quality compressor?  Emulations may not be perfect, but 90% of an API 2500 is better than 100% of a Behringer Composer Pro.

Just a thought...
Nathan Rousu

ShakesTheClown

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 12:06:23 PM »

jdier

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 03:36:09 PM »

Ryan Slowey wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 19:48

the DBX 160x (or A, or XT) would be worth taking a look at. you can find them used for $200 and they're super useful for lots of things. i use mine most frequently on ac. guitar and bass, but have also had great luck on vocals and various percussion instruments.

the FMR RNLA is nice too. i've never used an RNC, so i can't compare them, but i enjoy the RNLA on various things.

-ryan

I have both the RNC and the RNLA.  I would say that the RNLA can impart more of a sound on the source.  I really like it on my dynamic mics when recording vocals.  I know it sounds weird, but I went from wondering if my SM7 was a good buy (without the RNLA) to absolutely loving it (with the RNLA) on male vocals.  I have really not used it for much beyond male vocals and some trombone work, but I love the RNLA.
jdier - Home recordist

(currently selling one of my dual Great River preamps)

Trumpetman2

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 10:40:42 AM »

Dave Martin wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 09:07

Trumpetman2 wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 07:57

Umm, that's on trumpet. And to your taste...

I have a CL 50; it has at least as much coloration as an Alesis 3630 - a different (and to my ears, much better) coloration, but for my tastes, it's more of an 'effects box' than a compressor....

Dave:  After having lived w/these comps for a longer while....You are right...the CL-50 is a bit "over the top," have you tried that new RNLA?  Maybe that would be somewhat in between the RNC and the CL-50? Very Happy
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 19 queries.