R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Seventy Nine Dollar Converter  (Read 26562 times)

Jim Williams

Re: The Seventy Nine Dollar Converter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 11:02:08 AM »

This converter was on sale until Oct.16, it's now on sale again until Jan. 3 for $79.95.
Use source code 810A36 for the discount when ordering.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

chorga1

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 03:28:02 PM »

So I got the opamp replaced with the analog devices opamp mentioned over on gearslutz. Huge imporvement in sound! Bass is noticably tighter.

However I am having trouble finding this part you mentioned: MIT .1 uf caps (in place of the .1 ceramics)

Pardon my lack of knowledge - this is only my second mod - but when I search for MIT caps all I get is info about massachusetts institue of technology...

Also - Stanley Beresford - the guy who designed the unit - told me to replace R11 and R14 with a solder bridge. Any idea how this will affect the sound?

Thanks for any info y'all may have.

maarvold

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 09:38:55 PM »

chorga1 wrote on Fri, 28 November 2008 12:28

...I am having trouble finding this part you mentioned: MIT .1 uf caps (in place of the .1 ceramics)....

Do a search for Michael Percy Audio in Nevada City, CA.  And they're called Reliable Capacitor now.  Designed by Richard Marsh, same as MIT MultiCaps.  And brace yourself for the price.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Jim Williams

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 10:56:58 AM »

There are also a pair of 10uf tantalum coupling caps off the converter output to the filter/opamp. They are on the other side of the opamp from the output caps. I used 47 uf Panasonic FM with Wima .1 or MIT .1 uf's across them.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

danickstr

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 09:43:24 PM »

Now if someone would add a BNC word clock "kit" to it...
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Jim Williams

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 10:51:55 AM »

No need for that, all DAC's clock off the incoming data stream.
ADC's are a different situation...
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

danickstr

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 07:45:11 PM »

funny I don't care about DAC - blasphemy I know, but I look at it like a crummy walkman.  I wonder about the ADC app, but I use my Verb now, Rumour.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

johnR

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 02:39:57 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Thu, 04 December 2008 15:51

No need for that, all DAC's clock off the incoming data stream.

But you'll need something between the CS8414 and the DAC chip's clock input to remove the jitter that the 8414 can't remove (which is a lot). That would take a VCXO or a much better quality PLL than the 8414 contains. That's where most of the cost of a high end DAC comes from.

Enola

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 01:55:59 AM »

Wordclock has no benefit at all for DAC?

Jim Williams

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 10:26:12 AM »

The MCM converter is back on sale for $79.
1-800-543-4330
Use source code 902D02 for the discount.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

organica

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Sat, 20 September 2008 12:02

No budget A/D from them but another source is available for that.
BurrBrown makes a very nice A/D evaluation pcb for the PCM4222 A/D converter, their top-o-line chip. It's the PCM4222EVM.
Get one direct from TI at:
www.TI.com
Search the PCM4222EVM and it comes up. It costs $149 and requires a power supply with + - 15 volts and a single 5 volt rail. Power One/Condor makes a nice small 3 output power supply that runs around $70. You can get that from digi-key.
This converter has bested some very expensive products in the $5k price zone, so it's a serious contender. It has DSD outputs, dual s/pdif and AES outputs, digital filters, etc. all selectable via dip switches.

?;
is there any way to run this ADC via firewire or lightpipe ?  

Galil

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 11:37:23 AM »

I had followed this thread with some interest, since I have an Alesis Masterlink which works well but the A/D and D/A technology was getting a bit old and I thought that new converters might be the best way to upgrade the sound.  This past spring, I ordered the TI PCM4222EVM. It turns out that the PCM4222EVM has been back-ordered for at least four months.

The information I have gotten from TI is that they expect it to be available in the fall.  This might not be a bad time to order these if anyone else has an interest.

Galil

-

Halfway Competent

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 02:14:23 PM »

Jim,

What about an 8-channel ADC that outputs over optical?  Is this something really specialized that you're not going to find off-the-shelf?

I may just rack up this $79 DAC.  I'd been intending to procure a Wolfson DAC EVM and put it in a rackmount case...  But it's almost $300, rather than $80.

TB-AV

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »

Can someone tell me if these Eval units are still valid or is there possibly something else out there now that I might want to look at.

Also, I have searched DigiKey and Mouser and am having a lot a problem finding a decent and affordable power supply. I have searched linear power supplies and that usually ends up with something in the $150 range and perhaps on ly one of those. Anyone have a specific part number I might look for?

Thanks for any help.

Tom B.

Reference from Page 1 ----

Quote:

No budget A/D from them but another source is available for that.
BurrBrown makes a very nice A/D evaluation pcb for the PCM4222 A/D converter, their top-o-line chip. It's the PCM4222EVM.
Get one direct from TI at:
www.TI.com
Search the PCM4222EVM and it comes up. It costs $149 and requires a power supply with + - 15 volts and a single 5 volt rail. Power One/Condor makes a nice small 3 output power supply that runs around $70. You can get that from digi-key.
This converter has bested some very expensive products in the $5k price zone, so it's a serious contender. It has DSD outputs, dual s/pdif and AES outputs, digital filters, etc. all selectable via dip switches.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.