R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: help j.hall with PT.....  (Read 16300 times)

bblackwood

Re: help j.hall with PT.....
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2004, 10:20:49 PM »

To be honest, I've been pounding on j to get a PT rig from day one. In this business you have top conform to standards sometimes. I think it's a smart move.

And as long as you aren't getting a procontrol, HD is great. Master lots of records from HD rigs nowadays and they often sound awesome.

Though I do like Samp...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2004, 06:46:27 AM »

J
HD3 accel all the way ..... don't bother with mix+ .... a waste of investment... HD2 might not be powerful enough but you need to check that out for yourself.
the hd plug-ins rule over mix+ ......no matter  what anybody says ...
the new neve/api eq's are cool...the massenburg eq is great ...the MCDSP and UA audio plugs rock ...Impact is like an SSL ... phase mistress is like a great old phaser.....filter freak is insane ....
the delay compensation is worth every penny for us pro tools users
no matter what anybody says .....
What I really do think you should think twice about is the G5.
Only 3 PCI  slots.. and the dual processor 1.25 are super stable.
These have come way down in price and I still like my SCSI card which you can't have in HD3 accel with a G5.
Pro Tools is here. It is my/our format now.
yes it has the market share and I am a professional at what I do. This is not hobby. We need to stay current relevant and in step. If the industry was still in tape and you were in ADAT, you would not be considered a professional. Don't fight it. Just rock it cuz anything you tend to resist tends to persist....
Pro Tools HD accel ...    

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 09:28:50 AM »

the G5 thing is the biggest unknown for me

on one hand the dual 2.5 brand spankin new G5 will last me years.....

it will be a computer i can have and use for a very long time which means a lot in the computer world

then again, it's brand new, apple just rolled it out and they aren't even shipping yet.  how i'm getting one.....don't ask, i know people....muw ha ha ha

anyway
i keep thinking i could save a thousand bucks on the computer and still end up with something really good

ross, are you running OSX?  are you on a G5, or a G4?

i think HD2 will suit my needs, i'll be mixing on my console and using PT minimally, at least at first.

bblackwood

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 09:41:00 AM »

It's a no brainer, get the G5. Whether or not the dual 2.5 is what you need is the debatable point. If you can score a good price on a G5, do it now...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Fibes

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2004, 10:24:51 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 14 June 2004 09:41

It's a no brainer, get the G5. Whether or not the dual 2.5 is what you need is the debatable point. If you can score a good price on a G5, do it now...

Brad, with all due respect, i've heard of some issues with G-5s and HD/PT systems. The new updates may have fixed it on Apples end but it may not be the most stable scenario at this point. I'm pretty sure that's what Ross was getting at. I'm talking total hard drive crashes, superbad boot issues and a host of other REAL problems, not just bugginess. I think a few more actual users opinions may help out on this front. Having done some research myself, the warning flags were shown to me, yes it's secondhand, but my sources are pretty clear it ain't a total solution right now.

For me, i'm going to go HD2accell and get as much hardcore conversion i can. Unfortunately i track as much as i mix. I'd need a minimum of 16 in and 16-24 outs to start. Any suggestions on a config better than the HD192?
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

bblackwood

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2004, 10:48:50 AM »

HAHAHAHA, what due respect?

hehe

I don't use the rigs, but do have several good friends using PTHD/G5 rigs and they have had no problems at all (I asked before recommending it to j)...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 11:07:26 AM »

Again, the G5's have issues. Trust me or not ... The Dual 1.25's are rocking solid.BUT not the 1,4's ........
Weird but the guys at digi DO NOT recommend the 1.4
I DO use this and I DO own a rig ...RESPECTFULLY .....
Pro Tools does not take advantage of the G5 processor yet and by that time that it actually does you'll probably be into a G6 or G7 .....
And again, I do like my ability to have the extra slot for whatever especially SCSI.
I am absolutely running OSX 10.3.2 NOT 10.3.4 !!!
DO NOT GO UP TO THE LATEST VERSION OF PANTHER
stay at 10.3.2 for now
there are issues with the last 2 upgrades 10.3.3 and 10.3.4
make sure you get an accel card though, you will not be unhappy you did.
The new software uses more DSP and you will find your self happy you have the xtra horse power under your hood

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

j.hall

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 11:07:40 AM »

to clarify from my end

a G4 isn't really my direction

what i was asking ross specifically is if the earlier G5's had more card slots

i've fallen off the apple map and simply don't know about the hardware anymore

i've spoken with MANY users.....i'm not an uneducated buyer here

i've got a direct line to apple, and a friend that works there is telling me to just bite the bullet and buy the dual 2.5

this is a guy that works as an AE and simply has a day gig at apple

i'm not spending all this cash just so i can spend more in a year.....

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 11:12:52 AM »

No the G5's, all the G5's have one less slot then the G4.....
If you do not ever use SCSI and don't ever see using it anymore and only use firewire then the G5 is ok ....not yet rocking solid but ok

www.hoaxproductions.com

Fibes

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2004, 11:36:58 AM »

I'm an old SCSI lover but i'm curious how the new firewire 800 is working for audio. Is it close to the robustness of SCSI whilst editing? I don't do the high track count stuff, 32 is a big project for me as of late thanks to making decisions early, so track count isn't as much of an issue. Lately in DP Firewire 400 or the internal Ide at 7200 has been fine. just curious if the 800 is a bump that gets into SCSIland.
Fibes
The Studio

j.hall

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2004, 12:00:42 PM »

i've spoken with many G5 PT HD users that are serious power users

i've asked B-rad to contact some of his friends that are in the same boat and using PT HD HEAVILY.....probably more so then my contacts

i haven't heard one bad thing about the G5 yet.

in fact, i'm hearing that it's rock solid.....

and for the price i can get a dual 2.5gig G5, it's silly to not go for it and prepare for the future

i just don't see myself losing work with this rig......and if i keep booking sessions at the rate i am (and i'm not even open for business yet) i'll have little time to interface a new computer let alone eat lunch......

the time is now, i have to get the best i can

and if the mix room fails, i'll be selling a kick ass rig to some one.......

hahahahaha

floodstage

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2004, 12:37:39 PM »

PT/HD?

And you said you were over budget on your room.

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

(Had to laugh even though I really do understand why you have decided to do this.)

One piece of advice
(remember, my advice is worth exactly what it cost you)

Better raise your rates!

Zoesch

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 12:58:47 PM »

Fibes wrote on Tue, 15 June 2004 01:36

I'm an old SCSI lover but i'm curious how the new firewire 800 is working for audio. Is it close to the robustness of SCSI whilst editing? I don't do the high track count stuff, 32 is a big project for me as of late thanks to making decisions early, so track count isn't as much of an issue. Lately in DP Firewire 400 or the internal Ide at 7200 has been fine. just curious if the 800 is a bump that gets into SCSIland.

Close, but no cigar... my DAW is SCSI-320 (Although my drives are still SCSI-160) and I also have FW800 cards with two attached drives... no comparison, however watch SAS closely (Serially Attached SCSI) as it will be the high throughput standard of the future with the flexibility and no-hassle connectivity of SATA and FW.
It has always been Ringo's fault

j.hall

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2004, 02:41:37 PM »

well, i'm hours, if not minutes away from confirming my PT order

and i have no mac yet
hahahahahahaha

anyway, the dealer wanted what i thought to be too much money for drives

my question is this.....

what is the deal with the firewire debate

should i not do firewire drives?

i have a 10k rpm seagate cheatah from back in my old PT days (only 9gig) and it was awesome

is scsi still superior?

i don't think the new G5 will even support scsi

hook me up, as this is now a reality.

Fibes

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2004, 03:23:39 PM »

I'm betting that FW-800 will be fine for you as long as your track counts stay below 64. I'd like to hear what the pros/hardcore users have to say. Scsi is great but the older stuff doesn't always act nice around the newer systems.

Zoesch?
Fibes
The Studio

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.