R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: help j.hall with PT.....  (Read 16242 times)

redelephant

Re: help j.hall with PT.....
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2004, 02:07:15 PM »

Zoesch wrote on Sat, 19 June 2004 10:02

I just passed on getting a PT rig for another month and invested in more outboard instead... I do that every month Laughing

ditto

drew

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2004, 04:04:57 PM »

you guys are funny. why not do both?

j.hall

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2004, 12:58:25 PM »

if apple doesn't ship this computer (i already have the monitor) i'll be hosed...........

everything is set in motion at this point

the timing (as of now) is working out perfectly, and the whole thing will be completed at the same time, ready for me to move in and wire up in 2 weeks

if that computer doesn't get here.......i'll be installing PT and interfacing it into my room later, and that will suck

i'd rather have stuff all over the place slowly getting assembled into it's permanent home, then trying to interface gear a piece at a time....

oh well

i'm already cursing the PT rig, and i haven't even received it yet.

Zoesch

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2004, 09:23:10 PM »

drew wrote on Sun, 20 June 2004 06:04

you guys are funny. why not do both?

Because I already have a system that is sonically superior (To my ears) and fits my workflow perfectly...

We're not discouraging J. Hell he already spent the money and I personally wish him the best.
It has always been Ringo's fault

drew

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2004, 09:34:21 AM »

If you're a pro, making a living at this, you buy what you need. If that's PT, all the outboard you need, and/or Nuendo/Samplitude, whatever, you do it. That's all I'm saying. If you're a hobbyist then yea, you need to pick your tools more carefully.
drew

j.hall

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2004, 09:40:09 AM »

i sort of see both sides

drew is totally right, at some point, you have to just go for it.....get all the tools you need, and dive in the deep end

until you do that, you're just playing in niche markets like i was only catering to the 25% (2" 24 track market)

at the end of the day, i can always sell this PT rig and pay myself back a large portion of the money.  what i can't do is say that i tried if i never had bought the thing.

on the other hand.....i just acquired overhead for the first time in my career.  up until now, i've never owed a dime on anything i had.  granted, the PT is technically paid for but i'm treating it as a loan and paying myself a small amount of interest for "book keeping"

either way you look at it, it's a risk....i simply chose the risk that pays out the higher reward....

honestly, i saw this as simply, "the cost of doing business"

Zoesch

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2004, 09:32:01 PM »

drew wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 23:34

If you're a pro, making a living at this, you buy what you need. If that's PT, all the outboard you need, and/or Nuendo/Samplitude, whatever, you do it. That's all I'm saying. If you're a hobbyist then yea, you need to pick your tools more carefully.
drew

Oh that's fine, I thought you had misinterpreted me as saying that I bought the outboard instead of PT, I bought the outboard because I'm NEVER (Or at least for the forseeable, time-limited approaching infinite future) buying PT Wink

I have zero overheads although I own a trackload of stuff, just by not playing the tracking room and microphone game. That's a god $70K worth of capital expenditure I haven't done... and thankfully I've been able to record everywhere I've wanted to without much fuss.

redelephant

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2004, 11:24:54 PM »

Zoesch wrote on Wed, 23 June 2004 02:32

drew wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 23:34

drew

Oh that's fine, I thought you had misinterpreted me as saying that I bought the outboard instead of PT, I bought the outboard because I'm NEVER (Or at least for the forseeable, time-limited approaching infinite future) buying PT Wink

Just curious, which DAW do you use? Or do you use tape?

Zoesch

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2004, 12:44:43 AM »

I'm a Nuendo user (Would that make me a NoUndah? NoEntiendo? Nintendo?  Laughing ) and I'm more than happy with it!

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2004, 09:33:51 AM »

It's funny how we either justify what we do and are doing or have to defend it.

Pro tools schmoo tools, nuendo pooendo , analog schmnanlog
whatever........

Either you are working and happy with yourself and your setup or you are not working, on the fringe and need an in to the game.

I believe there really is very little to differentiate all the formats in the end except with the user himself and his clientele.
I happen to work equally in my studio and the outside world. The outside world now being primarily a Pro Tools environment. This dictates for me, to be inside Pro Tools at home so when I leave my door, I am compatible with my outside world. End of Story.....no more, no less ..... for today that is ....

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

j.hall

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2004, 09:52:02 AM »

that's why i bought it......

Zoesch

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2004, 06:23:31 AM »

Well, I am compatible with the outside world through BWF and OMF (And AES3.1 but few people do it these days outside of post houses)... so I don't worry about it either.

A DAW is a tool, you pick the one that does the job the way you like and move on, but... OTOH you also need a dose of good humor around it, keeps us human and real Wink

judah

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2004, 09:14:09 AM »

lord wrote on Mon, 14 June 2004 21:53

No playback off firewire drives. It's just asking for trouble. Maybe if you set your buffer size to half an hour.

what sorry? I'm mixing right now a project in DP4.0. LaCie 80Gb FW external drive. 56 tracks per song. Lots of plugins. No problem at all. BTW, my machine is a G4/400 running 9.2.2.
My 2 eurocents.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 17 queries.