R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Bock '5-Zero-7' Microphone  (Read 26536 times)

Ryan Slowey

New Bock '5-Zero-7' Microphone
« on: September 17, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »

Hello everyone. I came across this over at Gearslutz and thought some of you would be interested.

http://www.transaudioelite.com/trlanewelboa.html

I'd love to hear more about the "elliptical large capsule design".

Best,
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

skemp

Re: New Bock 5-Zero-7 mic...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:44:03 PM »

If the production model is the same as the prototype, I believe this mic will be a major player in the vocal recording arena. Its been awhile since I've had it, but it showed very well against an elite field of classics including a U47, M49, and a C12. This was only on male voice, my own, and was not a comprehensive evaluation. Having said that, my reaction to this mic was, "Holy S--t," get this mic into production. Great balance, clarity, dimension, and a general feeling of well being!

maarvold

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:57:25 AM »

This TransAudio Group's description of this mic sounds interesting.  Anyone know what tube?  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Barry Hufker

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:35:34 AM »

I'm excited to see Mr. Bock do this.  Not only do we have another fine vocal mic (based on what I'm reading), but it lifts Bock squarely out of the "clone" manufacturers into the category of "innovative microphone manufacturers."  That's an amazing accomplishment, assuming the microphone is everything that is being said about it.

recordinghacks

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »

I had the privilege to hear the new Bock 507 recently, and I spoke to Mr. Bock about the mic's history and design. I've collected quite a bit of info about it on RecordingHacks:

David Bock's new elliptical-capsule microphone

More specs and detail, and comments from George Cardas, can be found in the microphone database:

Bock Audio 507

In brief, the elliptical capsule was conceived and patented by George Cardas, but developed and perfected in collaboration with David Bock. The 507 has two diaphragms, but only the front is wired.

The mic's amplifier circuit is based on the U47. The tube is an EF814 or EF814k, which David said "has a lot of similarity to the VF14 without being a metal jacket." This is not a common tube, AFAICT; David suggested he had stockpiled these for his own use in his products. I believe he also used this tube in the Soundelux E47C.

The articles above link to the Cardas patent, if you're interested in reading more about that. I also dug up some info on the EL308, which was to be the first elliptical-capsule mic, and which may be reintroduced in the future as a multipattern version of the 507 (which is cardioid-only).

I think this is one of the most exciting mics I've seen in a long time.
matthew mcglynn - proprietor, http://recordinghacks.com/ - "Organizing the world's microphones"

J.J. Blair

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 02:32:08 PM »

I was visiting David yesterday, and we talked about the general concept of choosing tubes for his products.  He is a big believer in making sure he uses a tube that can be available for some time.  We talked bout the 5670 he uses in the 251, for instance, where he's using 5 star GE versions.  He felt that the life of a 6072 was longer, but he was more concerned with being able to have replacements available for his customers for a long time to come.  I appreciate this kind of forethought.

David might be making the best mics available right now.  He's very thoughtful about his components and construction, and is using Haun capsules, which might be the best capsules made right now.  He's even using Hovland Musicaps in the transformer coupling position.  He's making each mic himself, letting them burn in, and then putting them through tests that I don't think any of the other boutique US makers are doing.  

He showed me the copper foil coupling cap that will be going in the 507.  Heavy, and expensive to have made.  But that's the type of detail and standard he has for his product.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Eric H.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 09:02:16 PM »

Has anyone recorded with this 5-zero-7 yet?
It would be good to have some kind of review, maybe in the acid test forum?
eric harizanos

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 10:49:29 AM »

I have the review half written. I'm on vacation right now. I may or may not get to it while I'm here.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Schallfeldnebel

Re: New Bock '5-Zero-7' Microphone
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 11:35:38 AM »

The idea of an elliptical capsule is maybe not so groundbreaking as it may seem, because the Pearl and Milab rectangular capsules are by approximation also elliptical. A rectangular capsule has a less steep resonance frequency, the same reason why David Bock designed the elliptical capsule.

A side effect of the rectangular capsule is different polar patterns for horizontal and vertical angles. I assume the elliptical capsule will show a more subtle change from the horizontal to the vertical plane than the rectangular capsule. Probably the differences between the horizontal and vertical plane will be larger with the rectangular capsule, espescially the new dubbel version ELM, Pearl is making.

http://www.pearl.se/kondens_mono/elm/elm.htm

SFN
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Tomas Danko

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »

And then there's the Ehrlund Triangle microphone capsule:
http://www.jamshop.se/html/ehrlund_triangle.htm
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Barry Hufker

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 11:44:16 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sun, 14 June 2009 09:49

I have the review half written. I'm on vacation right now. I may or may not get to it while I'm here.  

One would like to think that because you're on vacation you definitely won't get to it...

Barry

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 12:53:21 PM »

The Ehrland triangular microphone is still round on the outside, I expect no difference in the horizontal and vertical plane.
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

David Bock

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 01:47:39 PM »

Quote:

rectangular capsules are by approximation also elliptical
I assume by "also" I could substitute the the term "equivalent". In what way is a rectangle equivalent to an ellipse? PS:don't answer "area"!
Quote:

A rectangular capsule has a less steep resonance frequency
Less steep than what? Please elaborate.

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 03:03:42 PM »

I meant to say "rectangular capsules are by approximation also elliptical in their behaviour"

Rectangular capsules have different polar patterns for the horizontal and vertical plane, I expect the elliptical capsule by approximation will have similar behaviour.

I learned from the maker of the Pearl rectangular capsules, a rectangular capsule has not one strong resonance as a round capsule. I expect similarities with the elliptical capsule.

Probably the elliptical capsule is the best of two worlds.

gwailoh

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 01:04:52 PM »

Eric H. wrote on Sat, 13 June 2009 18:02

Has anyone recorded with this 5-zero-7 yet?
It would be good to have some kind of review, maybe in the acid test forum?

Bumping this thread to echo Eric's sentiments.  Would be interested to learn of users' experiences.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.