R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: API 525  (Read 10057 times)

Andres Gonzalez

API 525
« on: September 15, 2008, 11:58:51 PM »

Anybody here use these?

With both button1 and button2 out, is the release .1 seconds? And then with both in, the release is 2.5? I do not hear much difference using these buttons.

What is the difference between Off and Bypass?  Off does not turn off the light in the meter but bypass does--a little confusing.

I have heard these are good for guitar. I am trying it now on guitars but I have not been able to find a sweet spot yet. What have you found these useful for?

-Andres

Fletcher

Re: API 525
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:52:48 AM »

The release "hear-ability" on the release is somewhat program dependent... no buttons is a .1 second release [a real 'punch getter' on percussive stuff], top button in .5 seconds [again kinda 'punchy'... bottom button engaged 2 seconds... both buttons 2.5 seconds [which I've found some use for... but not much].

The difference between "off" and "bypass" is that when the unit is "off" it is entirely out of the signal path [the input is routed directly to the output] while with "bypass" the audio runs through the amplifier... which means you get the character of the 2520 op-amp in your signal.

Also understand that the "in" and the "ceiling" are interdependent.  The "in" knob is the 'threshold' and the 'ceiling' is like a 'ratio' knob as it defines the knee of the compression... you can pretty much make it a limiter or you can go for a softer knee and use it like a compressor.  They're kind of a bitch to figure out... and while not my favorite guitar compressor [the Burgin McDaniel "Komit" gets that honor] I have found 525's absolutely stellar for a ton of vocal applications... and on some occasions, bass.

They can also be set to be exceptionally helpful when you run into a "happy foot" drummer [you know the guy... he's the one who hits the kik like a little girl during the song and then winds up and whacks the thing with all he's got on the "1" leading into the chorus].

I hope this is of assistance.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »

Very helpful Fletcher--thanks for the response.

I have only tried it on guitar and bass so far. I will try it next on vox as per your suggestion.

It is taking a bit to figure out, but I must admit that I like the Ceiling control. It is really nice to have a single control for compression that does not reduce the level correspondingly--very cool.

-Andres

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 11:15:05 PM »

bump...

Anybody else have any experience with this compressor?

thanks,

-Andres

tom eaton

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:04:20 AM »

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/333175/2571/?sr ch=225l#msg_333175
Fletcher wrote on Sun, 13 April 2008 08:22

The 225L kicks the living shit out of the 525 compressor in every sense of the word!!  It's basically a single channel compressor [which can be linked] that is 1/2 of their 2500 "stereo buss" unit.  It is remarkably versatile, great sounding, and all in all -- AWESOME --

Have you made up with the 525, Fletcher?  Paul Kochanski says hi.

tom

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 05:25:03 PM »

I recognize that one cannot believe 100% of what Marketing says, however, I still thought there would be more users of the API 525 out there. But judging by the response to this post, I guess not many people have used this compressor.

The API product sheet for the 525 compressor says that it is

"...one of the most popular API products ever."  

"The API 525 is perhaps the most successful solid state feedback compressor in history."

Wow, those are bold statements. If I were to judge by forum "chatter" then I would suspect that the 550s are the "most popular" API product--but who am I to say.

Still, I am surprised not many have use the 525.

-Andres

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 07:54:34 AM »

tom eaton wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 00:04

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/333175/2571/?sr ch=225l#msg_333175
Fletcher wrote on Sun, 13 April 2008 08:22

The 225L kicks the living shit out of the 525 compressor in every sense of the word!!  It's basically a single channel compressor [which can be linked] that is 1/2 of their 2500 "stereo buss" unit.  It is remarkably versatile, great sounding, and all in all -- AWESOME --

Have you made up with the 525, Fletcher?  Paul Kochanski says hi.

tom

We were never at odds... I just think there is a better tool in the API arsenal than the 525 [which I wish they would make into a 500 series frame format].

I'm going to guess that you mean Paul Kochanski the most excellent bass player and not Paul Kochanski the patent and trademark attorney?  The bass player is one of my favorite to record... very little is necessary other than plugging him in and letting him deliver a great sound to you... very little compression necesary!!  FWIW, last time I recorded him we were just starting to check out the "Komit"... it was on his bass track on a Jim Gambino song that I fell in love with the damn compressor!!

Peace.
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

tom eaton

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 08:03:43 AM »

Ahhh... I thought you had kicked the 525 out of the house!

Yes, Paul the bass player.  In the past two years he's become my go to for upright... nice people who are great players make my life SO much easier.  

tom

Fletcher

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »

Nahhh... 525's are always welcome when there is room... which unfortunately ain't often.

Paul is one of the better players I get to record from time to time... always a pleasure.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

rob s

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 11:58:26 AM »

i have noticed having a prference for the old big meter 525's over
the small meter ones.
i find them more usable less grabby.
dont know what the circuit difference is.
i think there are 4 different versions of the old 525's.

wwittman

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 11:38:53 AM »

the 525 has been my favourite vocal compressor for 25 years now.

In fact, I rarely like anything else.
I love the thing.

but I rarely use it on anything else

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

IntenseJim

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 11:35:06 PM »

wwittman wrote on Sun, 05 October 2008 10:38

I love the thing.

Curiuos what else you use and prefer?   Smile

If you are not playing in the snow, then you're just not playing.

Fletcher

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »

I have to say that the more I use the Burgin McDaniel "Komit" the more I like it... in many ways it's kind of a "more HiFi" version of the 525.

As always, YMMV.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

wwittman

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 11:54:26 PM »

IntenseJim wrote on Sun, 05 October 2008 23:35

wwittman wrote on Sun, 05 October 2008 10:38

I love the thing.

Curiuos what else you use and prefer?   Smile

on what?

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/22955/2122/
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.