R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Apogee Converter thread. 16x unit care and feeding.  (Read 28012 times)

compasspnt

Re: The Apogee Converter thread. 16x unit care and feeding.
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »

Yes, I would say still the best quality option for multitrack conversion (relative to any reasonable cost).

I think Jay is sending me some of those screws, and then I will also do the jumper option.

Don't want to do it yet, because I have the DB-25 I/O cables carefully held in position with multiple tie-wraps, so they don't just "suddenly disappear."

tom eaton

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2009, 09:37:58 AM »

Agreed, I think there is a reason we all deal with the other issues.  It does finally come down to the fact that they sound great.

tom

rankus

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2009, 02:27:01 PM »

tom eaton wrote on Mon, 04 May 2009 06:37

Agreed, I think there is a reason we all deal with the other issues.  It does finally come down to the fact that they sound great.

tom

As one of the most "vocal complainers" I agree completely.  They will always be in my rack for sure.  

Just wish they would fess up about those X-Firewire cards though.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Fibes

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »

Understood, I just can't risk an upgrade to my mobile rig being a complete loss. I WANT THESE TO WORK!
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Nacho

« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2009, 11:36:17 AM »

Hello Guys,

I have been using the AD and DA 16x for a while now (maybe 2 years) with the HD card in them.  
The HD card came installed inside the AD and DA by the guys in Mercenary (thank you guys!!!!) and I haven't had much issues about them.

The only real complaint I have besides the metric screws (which I found a way, like Mr. Manning to make the DB25s "stay" in place) is that when running the Apogee's in Standard Routing (so PT sees them as one 192 so you can make hardware inserts), sometimes PT doesn't locate them properly and if its ran in the Advanced Routing, sometimes the order of the units change, meaning that PT sometimes thinks that the DA is connected first than the AD and vice versa.  But thats probably because I have the jumpers set to always on and I guess it just depends on the order the units power on.

Changing to another Apogee Converter...

I do have a complaint about the FW stuff.  A friend of mine bought one of the mini-DAC for his PC.  Even though it says it works with windows, IT DOESN'T.  The XP wasn't able to detect the FW interface of the mini-DAC.  We tried it on my mac and it worked flawlessly.  My friend had to run an M-Audio Fast Track Pro (LOL) and take the SPDIF output from it and plug it into the mini-DAC.

I do have to say, the converters on the mini-DAC sound really good!.  That's why it's worth to have the M-Audio just running the info digitally to the Apogee.  
"The act of accomplishing nothing other than wastefulness is both exhausting and debilitating to the soul." -Mixerman
www.ptystudios.com
www.myspace.com/nachomolino

J.J. Blair

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2009, 06:35:50 PM »

Nacho, is there a driver you have to download to get it to work with Windows?  that's usually the case to get ANYTHING to work with Windows.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Nacho

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2009, 10:57:30 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sun, 10 May 2009 17:35

Nacho, is there a driver you have to download to get it to work with Windows?  that's usually the case to get ANYTHING to work with Windows.  

The driver was downloaded.  The setup wizard didn't detect the firewire interface of the Mini-DAC.  
"The act of accomplishing nothing other than wastefulness is both exhausting and debilitating to the soul." -Mixerman
www.ptystudios.com
www.myspace.com/nachomolino

compasspnt

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2009, 10:07:38 PM »

Yesterday I received a nice care package from Apogee, with the metric DB-25-holding screws and some new power switches.

For the first time my AD/DA-X cables are solid and tight, and not held up by tie wraps!

Thanks Jay and Apogee guys!

Terry
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.