R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What Makes People Vote Republican?  (Read 11953 times)

wwittman

Re: What Makes People Vote Republican?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 01:59:22 PM »

I DO realise it's a somewhat pointless observation, but I still think it's an ACCURATE one, and it's this:

look around the internets at what's out there in general, and I think you'll find about 100 times as many "those Democrats are all stupid, and wussy, and communists, and endangering the country, and hate america.." and on and on and on, as you will "Republicans are stupid..." variants.

the right has made an industry of it.

I think part of the problem with the way liberals have run campaigns in recent years is that they're far too willing to 'see the other side', whereas conservatives by their very nature ENJOY the dogma.

read John Dean. He's a genius.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Bill_Urick

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 02:25:07 PM »

danickstr wrote on Sun, 14 September 2008 12:44

Interesting paper.  Many of the republicans that I know are more prone to a defensive lifestyle, and that is what works for them.  I am reminded of the saying, "just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me.'

At least if we accept this premise (of the paper in question) we should be forgiving and accepting of one another's political views. Einstein was right, it's a deterministic universe, so we can't help who we vote for.

Quote:

I guess if I extend my hand to help someone, and it gets bitten off, a republican would say, "see what happened?"  That is why they do not rush to help quite like a dem.

There's a generalization for ya! If you will refer here...

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2005/11/generosity_i nde.html

It would seem that Reps are just as giving as Dems. They just prefer to do it with their own money as opposed to someone else's.

FWIW, in the post I made here, there were three of us riding in my van, one confirmed Democrat, one Republican and one independant. We all pitched in with equal fervor. So now I just don't know what to think.  Confused

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/347432/8119/?sr ch=nashville#msg_347432

Quote:

another saying goes, a coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man dies but once.

But the coward has a lot of nice meals and enjoys days of sunshine and TV in between those coward "deaths" of spirit.

Not really sure about what your saying here. But I feel good that we're talking. It appeals to my touchy-feely artistic side.

Smile
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »

wwittman wrote on Sun, 14 September 2008 13:59

I DO realise it's a somewhat pointless observation, but I still think it's an ACCURATE one, and it's this:

look around the internets at what's out there in general, and I think you'll find about 100 times as many "those Democrats are all stupid, and wussy, and communists, and endangering the country, and hate america.." and on and on and on, as you will "Republicans are stupid..." variants.

the right has made an industry of it.

I think part of the problem with the way liberals have run campaigns in recent years is that they're far too willing to 'see the other side', whereas conservatives by their very nature ENJOY the dogma.

read John Dean. He's a genius.

William you may be right. (Sorry poor choice of words...)
It would be interesting to research and document the incidence of "opposition bashing" on the left vs the right.
At least it might be interesting to read about, probably very tedious to do.

I do propose that we more readily recall incidents of denigration when they are directed toward those with whom we are sympathetic.

Although I may be biased, I do not agree that the problem with most left wing politicos is that they are not vicious enough.

Somehow I feel as though the level of dialogue here has already improved somewhat.

Carry on!
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Larrchild

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »

I think it would be a lesser country without both sides.
As long as they share the steering wheel on a regular basis.
And both sides stop demonstrating they are wrong about always being right.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

stevieeastend

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »

Bill,

your signature kills me, gonna put a copy up my console, absolutely awesome  Cool  
.. but please take care that no member of a german speaking left wing party gets to see this, it would cause you serious problems Wink

cheers
St

Bill_Urick

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »

steveeastend wrote on Sun, 14 September 2008 15:31

Bill,

your signature kills me, gonna put a copy up my console, absolutely awesome  Cool  
.. but please take care that no member of a german speaking left wing party gets to see this, it would cause you serious problems Wink

cheers
St

It's a Babel Fish translation, of course. Even funnier if you translate if back into English. For some reason it occurred to me one day that a bluegrass arrangement of Baby Got Back, sung in German might be really amusing. It's a sickness not a gift. Listened to Joe's Garage a couple a hundred times too many, I guess. Thanks for noticing.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 04:28:40 PM »

Larrchild wrote on Sun, 14 September 2008 15:14

I think it would be a lesser country without both sides.
As long as they share the steering wheel on a regular basis.
And both sides stop demonstrating they are wrong about always being right.

EXACTLY! See, if we can get past the labels there's lots of stuff reasonable people can agree on. I'm really tweaked about the VP selection cause I really wanted to vote for a Democrat this time around. I don't mind at all if Obama gets elected, but I have to vote my conscience, and Palin's just better looking than Biden and she's not a lawyer.

I do agree that the executive should be flipped every four to eight years so everyone gets a chance to play with all the big boats and planes. Also, congress should always be controlled by the opposing party, because our government works best when it doesn't work at all.

Larrchild

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2008, 04:44:09 PM »

Yes, as I mentioned in another thread, highest return on investment of the market came from a dem prez and a GOP congress.

That said, if I had any inkling that McCain would be the old maverick dude, I'd consider him. I believe he sold that to the neocon devil to get this position, and that they will populate the cabinet with the usual suspects.

That isn't the best thing right now.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

PookyNMR

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 04:56:20 PM »

mgod wrote on Sun, 14 September 2008 10:26

From a friend who identifies himself as very rightist:

SCIENCE JOURNAL
By ROBERT LEE HOTZ

The Biology of Ideology

Studies Suggest Many of Our Political Choices May Be Traced to Genetic Traits
September 4, 2008;
Nathan Rousu

PookyNMR

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »

cerberus wrote on Sun, 14 September 2008 01:54

nathan; when you say "crap on christians". it is clear to me
that haidt writes and means: "right wing christians".

While he identifies them a few times, there are other times where he mentions Christians in general.  From the overall tone, I get the distinct impression that he does not like believers in general, no matter what the type.  From this I detect I high level of bias that taints his argument.

Other parts of his argument, while he presents some evidence, I think it would only be true on a small scale.  I'd have to agree with Brad that folks vote mostly for their agreement with policy and general emotional feeling that they have about their candidates.

Nathan Rousu

mgod

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 06:13:30 PM »

I'm sorry - the 2 parties that constitute the one politic permitted in this country are NOT equal. They are NOT equal opportunity denigrators and if they ever have been, its before any of our lifetimes.

Johnson went after Goldwater hard in 64, but Nixon went after Humphrey much harder, not just with ads but with negotiations with the enemy. Treason. Nixon committed crimes againt the dems and his own office - illegal. He damaged the office. Reagan negotiated with the enemy - treason. And so on.

McCain, who I respected until recent years, and who I really believed this time when he said it would be a conversation between friends, was destroyed by his own party in 2000 for being uppity, and transformed by it. Should he win, we might see the old McCain (no great shakes but the best they have despite his record of corruption) but now that he's hired an attack dog with a vagina to shield him, hiding behind her beehive, he's shown he can't be respected. Atwater, Rove, Nixon, show me the democrat who is in this league of political terrorism, and then we can discuss the equality issue.

What's wrong with Republicans? Simple - they vote for these guys, they support the tactics of these guys. And harm themselves and the whole nation.  

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

mgod

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »

Right-wing "christians" at it again:

Conservative Political Forum Sells Racist "Obama Waffles"

AP | JOAN LOWY | September 13, 2008 at 04:14 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/conservative-forum-obama-w affles

WASHINGTON — Activists at a conservative political forum snapped up boxes of waffle mix depicting Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama as a racial stereotype on its front and wearing Arab-like headdress on its top flap.

Values Voter Summit organizers cut off sales of Obama Waffles boxes on Saturday, saying they had not realized the boxes displayed "offensive material." The summit and the exhibit hall where the boxes were sold had been open since Thursday afternoon.

The box was meant as political satire, said Mark Whitlock and Bob DeMoss, two writers from Franklin, Tenn., who created the mix. They sold it for $10 a box from a rented booth at the summit sponsored by the lobbying arm of the Family Research Council.

David Nammo, executive director of the lobbying group FRC Action, said summit organizers were told the boxes were a parody of Obama's policy positions but had not examined them closely.

Republican Party stalwarts Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney were among speakers at the forum, which officials said drew 2,100 activists from 44 states.

While Obama Waffles takes aim at Obama's politics by poking fun at his public remarks and positions on issues, it also plays off the old image of the pancake-mix icon Aunt Jemima, which has been widely criticized as a demeaning stereotype. Obama is portrayed with popping eyes and big, thick lips as he stares at a plate of waffles and smiles broadly.

Placing Obama in Arab-like headdress recalls the false rumor that he is a follower of Islam, though he is actually a Christian.

On the back of the box, Obama is depicted in stereotypical Mexican dress, including a sombrero, above a recipe for "Open Border Fiesta Waffles" that says it can serve "4 or more illegal aliens." The recipe includes a tip: "While waiting for these zesty treats to invade your home, why not learn a foreign language?"

The novelty item also takes shots at 2004 Democratic nominee John Kerry, Obama's wife, Michelle, and Obama's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

The Obama campaign declined to comment.

Wearing white chef's aprons, Whitlock and DeMoss were doing a brisk business at noon Saturday selling the waffle mix to people crowded around their booth. Two pyramids of waffle mix boxes stood several feet high on the booth's table.

"It's the ultimate political souvenir," DeMoss told a customer.

Asked if he considered the pictures of Obama on the box to be racial stereotypes, Whitlock said: "We had some people mention that to us, but you think of Newman's Own or Emeril's _ there are tons and tons of personality-branded food products on the market. So we've taken that model and, using political satire, have highlighted his policies, his position changes."

The socially conservative public policy groups American Values and Focus on the Family Action co-sponsored the summit.
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

maxim

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »

"... In the way my cat thinks I am just a larger cat."

that's what you think it thinks

just because humans anthropomorphise everything in sight, doesn't mean that cats do

do you think that your cat thinks that a pigeon is a flying cat?

the conservatives are, by their nature, more likely to use stereotypes and prejudice

the left-wingers, tied, as they are, to their humanist ideology, find it more difficult to reconcile with the idea of tarring with the same brush

but they will try, for it is human nature

i wish the cats could vote...

John Ivan

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008, 01:31:13 AM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Sat, 13 September 2008 22:21

Good work gentlemen. Religious people are stupid. People who vote Republican are evil, probably stupid too. Gee, I never heard that stuff here before....
Really original thinking.

Five years ago this kind of stuff upset me. Now it's just sadly amusing. I guess we all need someone to hate and blame. It makes us feel more at one with our selected tribe.

But I love you guys, really I do.

Now, back to the circle jerk.

Well, I guess I don't know what to say about this..

People are either dumb enough to walk out in front of an on coming train or they aren't. The republicans I know, for the most part are smart enough, until they walk into the voting booth. There, for some strange reason, they are willing to believe almost anything.. They vote on only a few issues for one thing, and they KNOW BETTER than this.

Most democrats I know do not vote on single issues. We {I guess I'm a democrat this year} really can not believe what the republican party has sold to the American people. We don't want to sound so mean, but we can't figure out what the hell could be going on in the brains of all these people who keep doing this REALLY DUMB thing, over and over again.

I don't know what else it can be called.. There are people who are now going to vote republican because Sarah Palin is on the ticket.

I'm sorry. But that is just plain old dumb. It's not my fault.

Ivan...........
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Andy Peters

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2008, 01:57:49 AM »

mcsnare wrote on Sun, 14 September 2008 08:30

I'm a hardcore liberal Democrat but my Dad, Mom, and Sister are all hardcore conservative Repubs. We talk and argue about our positions all the time. From what I understand of my familiy's position, they don't give a crap about the Repubs having embraced religous right style morality. They just don't like the Dems economic and social positions. They are the classic "I worked my ass off, played by the rules and got ahead so don't take my money and give it to the poor. It's not the government's responsibility to take care of everyone." A lot of people that are Repubs think like this and nobody's gonna change their mind about it. I should know, I've tried!

They'll change their minds the minute they get a huge hospital bill due to an unforeseen illness.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up