R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: B15 models  (Read 24023 times)

Jeff Roberts

Re: B15 models
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 04:04:31 PM »

I have a '68 SVT here [with fresh tubes!!

and the original cabinet [the SVT cabinet before they added wheels!!... with recently reconed drivers]... and it is frankly amazing.  

I thought that 1969 was year one for the SVT. We should compare serial numbers.
Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
LatchLake@aol.com

"When it all hits the fan, the only things left will be cockroaches and Latch Lake mic stands."
Reese Boisse

C.Cash

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 07:55:36 AM »

My old ugly wonderful B-18n;
Rescued with a couple other items from an out of business nightclub for $300.00 Very Happy This is an old photo, she looks allot better now.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9538/ampeghead2gt4.jpg

Here she is with the new Fliptops cabinet and Jess Oliver speaker. I couldn't salvage the original cabinet the termites had had their way with it for years;

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3199/ampegjazzug1.jpg
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2008, 10:54:26 AM »

That B-18 looks sweet. My cabinet is a little larger and has a vent bottom right and side right. Makes me think I have an odd duck cab cause I can't find one like it in any Ampeg lit. The orig speaker works, but I put a reissue Eminence in it and love how it sounds. I'll post a pic when I get back to Canada.

I am fortunate enough to own a B-12N, and a B-15N both with orig cabs all from 1961. They all sound pretty much the same. All have been restored by Anthony at Capsule Music (for you Toronto guys, he IS the man). The B-12 is sounds fab for clean guitar as well as bass. It also loves my cello which is equipped with a David Gage p/u. The B-18 head is permanently installed in our control room and I move the cab around depending on the session. Everyone who uses it wants to buy it. I should use the B-15 more but we have enough bass amps so it lives in my loft.

I have to admit that I have been using an Ampeg SVTDI as well as the amp and am surprised how much it sounds like an Ampeg amp.
Those DIs have been discussed around here before.
If you find one buy it, they are great for just about anything.

As for SVT's, once again the insouciance of youth caused me to sell a beautiful Blueline SVT with the orig rectanguler box.
I think those cabs sound very different and much better then the later ones. One Ampeg cab people rarely mention in V6-B 2x15 cab. Those sound fab with an SVT or V4/V4B but you don't see them much.
Leonardo Valvassori

C.Cash

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 11:05:45 AM »

Ive looked everywhere for a couple SVTDI, no luck. Even e-bay never has them. Too bad they stopped making them.

slyfichapel

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 11:45:14 PM »

I own a 70s B-15N that I LOVE - it's better than the last 60's one I recorded.  I will never part with it.  But I recently did some sessions where I had the reissue B-15R next to it, and yes it was different, but equally cool in a different way... so, if anyone has or knows of a reissue B-15R for sale, I'm interested!!!  Seriously!!  

Brent

Deuce 225

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »

I am hoping to revive this thread as I just picked up an Ampeg B15-N today.  I know this isn't Gearslutz but I was hoping someone may help me date it. It sounds really good with the existing tubes, but I thought I might check into some NOS.  Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Tim Cochran

Deuce 225

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2008, 05:42:10 PM »

Another pic to help with dating.
Best,

Tim Cochran

Jeff Roberts

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 11:42:55 AM »

Leonardo Valvassori wrote on Thu, 16 October 2008 09:54

One Ampeg cab people rarely mention in V6-B 2x15 cab. Those sound fab with an SVT or V4/V4B but you don't see them much.

I just bought a V6-B w. JBL's, used it on a session driven by a B-15N.

Orgasmic.
Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
LatchLake@aol.com

"When it all hits the fan, the only things left will be cockroaches and Latch Lake mic stands."
Reese Boisse

Fig

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2008, 12:31:36 PM »

UPDATE:  found the new link:

http://www.unofficialampeg.com/ampeg.html

Scroll down to the "amplifiers" link at the bottom of the home page.  Click on Porta-Flex Amps for details regarding all models.  The link to "Dating Your Ampeg Amplifier" seems to go nowhere, still.

Deuce 225 wrote on Sun, 07 December 2008 16:42

Another pic to help with dating.

Need to see the front of the head, too.

I was gonna post the link to the "unofficial Ampeg page", which had a comprehensive timeline based on materials used in manufacturing for both B-15 and V4-Bs.

The link is also on the first page of this thread - but the URL seems to be broken by AOL.  Luckily, I printed out the article on "Dating your Ampeg" - I just don't have it handy.

From memory, AFAIK, the checkerboard tolex is indicative of an early model. As is the non-sparkly grille-cloth.  If it has the black chicken-head knobs (along with the white-lined stencil across the silver front) - congrats yours is from the 60's.  Most of the photos in this thread show these early versions.

Does yours say B-15N or B-15?  It may be an original.

If the lettering on the front of the head is blue and there are toneshaping switches that are white (instead of originally black or none at all) and non-chicken-head knobs - its a later model and will certainly carry the "N" distinction.

Lets see a photo of the front panel!

My B-15N is in this second category, but I still love it dearly.  The one I learned on was an original.  I still think that even the worst one from those days is way better than a lot of what you can buy new today.

I'd like to see the cone in your cab, too if you don't mind.  Is the magnet square or round?

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Deuce 225

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 10:10:59 PM »

Mine definitely is a B15-N.  But it has the chicken head knobs. My speaker is a replacement JBL with a round speaker.  I have also noticed if I turn the amp up close to 10:00 the cabinet rattles a bit too much for recording.  At 9:00 it's perfect for Motown.  At 10:00 it sounds like the distorted bass on Rod Stewarts I'm  Losing You. I think Ronnie Lane played bass on that song. I am going to need to give the amp some TLC to be able to record more with it.
Best,

Tim Cochran

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 03:57:57 PM »

Jeff Roberts wrote on Mon, 08 December 2008 11:42

Leonardo Valvassori wrote on Thu, 16 October 2008 09:54

One Ampeg cab people rarely mention in V6-B 2x15 cab. Those sound fab with an SVT or V4/V4B but you don't see them much.

I just bought a V6-B w. JBL's, used it on a session driven by a B-15N.

Orgasmic.

Bella Nice!

BTW, all my fliptops are factory dated on the INSIDE of the amp chassis. You have to take the bottom off;--if you are lucky, a schematic may still be afixed to it.

the ones in the foto look pre 1962.
Leonardo Valvassori

C.Cash

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2009, 04:16:18 PM »

Deuce 225 wrote on Mon, 15 December 2008 21:10

Mine definitely is a B15-N.  But it has the chicken head knobs. My speaker is a replacement JBL with a round speaker.  I have also noticed if I turn the amp up close to 10:00 the cabinet rattles a bit too much for recording.  At 9:00 it's perfect for Motown.  At 10:00 it sounds like the distorted bass on Rod Stewarts I'm  Losing You. I think Ronnie Lane played bass on that song. I am going to need to give the amp some TLC to be able to record more with it.

My B-18 is the same, its great for recording at low volume but distorts pretty fast after about 3/4. I have a few rattles also.
I cannot imagine trying to gig with one of these in anything but a really small venue.
 But what a lovely tone.

GREGL

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »

Anyone ever compared a B-25 head against a B-15 through the same speaker(s)?

Galil

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 09:33:50 PM »

GREGL wrote:

Anyone ever compared a B-25 head against a B-15 through the same speaker(s)?

I would expect that the B-25 and the B-15/18s would sound fairly similar. I have an early 70s B-18 and an early 70s B-25B.  Both use a 7199 tube driving a pair of 7027s (very much like 6L6s).  I think the first preamp tubes might be different in my models.

FWIW - the B-25B is currently driving a pair of Trace Elliot cabinets (2 x 10 and 1 x 15 in series) in my live rig which is used for moderate volumes in a semi-live ~ 4500 sq foot room.  Works great, fills the room.  Cabs sound modern,amp sounds vintage.  Right where I like living as a bass player.  If I regularly played a bigger venue,I'd need another solution.

The B-18 is being used for recording.  Love how the bass tracks recorded off the amp, sit in the mix.  I'd never consider going bass direct with access to this amp.

I've never thought of A/B'ing the two since they both sound great where I'm using them and they seem to use basically the same components.

Galil

Jeff Roberts

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 03:45:32 PM »

Temptation is rearing it's head in my direction.

I stumbled on a B-18N in a shop for $1,000. The cabinet and vinyl look pretty good.

The speaker is a question mark to me. Don't know the brand, but it's a die-cast frame, and the magnet assembly is round, tapering to a smaller diameter in the rear.

What speaker should be in there as stock, and what is the Ampeg recommended upgrade speaker?
Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
LatchLake@aol.com

Reese Boisse
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 19 queries.