R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diffusion problems?  (Read 2282 times)

OTR-jkl

Diffusion problems?
« on: September 25, 2008, 12:05:03 AM »

Hello; this is my first post in this part of REP. I usually frequent Brad's Mastering forum as that is what I do. I know basically nothing about acoustics so hope this is not a dumb question...

I recently moved my gear into a new (to me) room and have been getting great results so far. I can hear much better in this room than where I was before. It is a Russ Berger designed room and is about 12'w x 17'l.

When I got everything set up and first started listening, I noticed that it seemed darker than what I was used to but I attributed that to the fact that I had a fairly large null in my previous room between about 80-160Hz. So, now that I can hear the bass, it sounds darker than what I had gotten used to.

The room has absorptive panels covering the front wall behind the monitors, on the side walls back to about 2/3 of the way back (~12') except for the left wall which is the typical Russ Berger window wall and then again on the back wall behind the listening position. Imbedded in the absorptive panels on the back wall are 8 2sq ft diffusor panels. The monitors are about 8' or so apart and toe in to the listening position which is just toward the back from the center of the room. The monitor axis points to the back wall just inside the opposite rear corners to a spot which is outside the coverage of the diffusion panels.

Anyway, I have noticed that when I cup my hands behind my ears, I hear a noticeable increase in the higher freqs.

Is this normal? or should I hear no difference in a properly treated room? Should the monitors point at the diffusors? I think the room needs some trapping so could this be caused by some bottom end issues? I'm able to turn out good masters pretty quickly so the room translates pretty well but I'd like to really tweak it in.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

Ethan Winer

Re: Diffusion problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 11:59:57 AM »

Do you have any bass traps? If not, it's a given that you need that. As for pointing at the diffusors, I don't understand the question. The speakers are at one end and point toward the rear wall at the other end, yes?

--Ethan

OTR-jkl

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 03:51:47 PM »

Ethan Winer wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 10:59

Do you have any bass traps? If not, it's a given that you need that. As for pointing at the diffusors, I don't understand the question. The speakers are at one end and point toward the rear wall at the other end, yes?

--Ethan

Thanks for respoinding.

Bass traps - no. I know these are needed but the translation is quite good even w/o them. However, I can tell/feel at the listening position when the bottom end is tight but I have to get up and move toward one of the rear corners to actually hear what's happening down around 40Hz and below...

About the toe-in - what I mean is that the axis of the monitors point to a location on the back wall almost in the corner which is outside of the actual position of the diffusor panels. IOW, the room is about 12' wide and the diffusors cover 8' of that and are centered on the wall so there is 2' or so of bare wall (absorptive paneling) on either side of the diffusors near the corners. The monitors point to that (bare) portion of the wall. They also point directly to the listening position so we're talking about an X pattern as viewed from the top. Should they not be toed-in that much so that they actually point at the diffusor panels (more of a V pattern) or does it even matter? They are B&W N805s; I don't know the specs of how wide the hi-freq coverage angle is.

Hope that clears it up enough for you...
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

avare

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 08:12:48 PM »

Everything you are describing is of a properly designed room, including the toe in.  

As far as cupping your ears, that will have the same effect outdoors!  You are blocking high frequencies from the back and reflecting to you ears more high frequencies from the front.

With regards to bass absorption, that is probably handled by appropriate design of the walls.  You don't realize it, but it is there.  You will have a change in low frequency response as you approach boundaries in any room.  If you have problems with the current acoustics, check with RBDG.  It is a professionally designed SYSTEM.  Picking and choosing what to describe is pointless.

Andre

Ethan Winer

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »

You're in good hands with Andre, but I can add to this:

OTR-jkl wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 15:51

the axis of the monitors point to a location on the back wall almost in the corner which is outside of the actual position of the diffusor panels.

Sound radiates from loudspeakers in an arc, so by the time it gets to the back wall it's most likely hitting the entire wall.

--Ethan

franman

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 01:58:05 PM »

I agree.. Talk with Russ. He's a professional and will do everything he can to make sure you're satisfied and comfortable with the experience in your room...

(ps) sorry I've been MIA guys.. just been tooooo busy the past couple of months.. Trying to catch up now.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.