R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where the Hell Are We?  (Read 1927 times)

hargerst

Where the Hell Are We?
« on: June 09, 2004, 09:01:24 PM »

From December, 2003:

Amazing.  According to this week's Billboard magazine, the number one album in America is Britney Spears, In The Zone, and it's only been out for one week.  After her, comes G-Unit, Blink-182, Jay-Z, The Beatles, Josh Groban, Tupac, Toby Keith, OutKast, Sarah McLachlan, Sheryl Crow, and Michael Jackson.

Korn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 112, Linkin Park, Pink, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Limp Bizkit, and Coldplay are on the list, but further down. For the most part, it's dominated by albums from the Eagles, Norah Jones, Cyndi Lauper, Michael McDonald, Sting, American Idol, and Rod Stewart, singing old songs.  

So how relevent is metal music in today's world?  Is Rap taking over as the sole voice of discontent with the status quo?  I remember when Metal was an angry form of music.  Don't we care enough to get worked up about the way things are, or are we just not gonna talk about it?

mp3.com is going away (today, December 2nd) as I write this. I don't know what will take its place as a showcase for new talent.  A conglomerate just bought the music division of Time/Warner/AOL for several billion dollars.

So, as we end 2003 and start 2004, is everything doom and gloom in the music industry?  No, I don't think so.  A lot of these kids who bought Britney Spears albums are growing up, and their tastes are changing.  What was important to them when they were 12 years old is a lot less important when they reach 18, or 21.  They're gonna find that life ain't all that perfect, and they're gonna look for music that reflects that.

That's where you (or your younger brothers and sisters) come in.  These kids are gonna discover the music they passed over has a lot of relevance in their older life, and new groups will be speaking to these new needs.

Groups have a responsibility to come up with new music on a steady basis to keep fans interested in coming out to hear them live.  After you've heard the same songs 3 or 4 times at different clubs, even a hard core fan may not want to see the next show, if it's all gonna be the same old stuff.

In the musical toys world, they're coming out with some incredible toys for musicians that will make all sorts of great sounds available, but it's still hard to beat the sound of an old Les Paul, or a Strat, played thru an old Marshall stack.  Winter weather can play hell with the sound and intonation of a guitar.  Now's a good time to take it in and have a setup done on the neck and tuning. It'll play faster and easier, and you'll finally be in tune, so I won't hafta kill you when you come in to record.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Stavross

Re: Where the Hell Are We?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 04:38:24 PM »

Well a quick look at the billboard rock chart gives no signs of improvement, even though I kinda like the Velvet Revolver song it is surrounded in a sea of BLAHHHH.

And as for metal, trust me there is no shortage of angry metal people. They keep my studio in business. Metal is a strange  genre in a strange industry. Often once you reach any kind of success many of your core fans abandon you for some thing that is more obscure. That and the very definition of the genre is rather muddy at best. Is metal any kind angry music, by that definition eminem is metal. Or is it characterized as music with screams for vocals, that would make Alanis metal, and I can assure you that is not true. Death metal, power metal, speed metal, grindcore, scream core, stoner metal, industrial metal, goth metal, melodic metal, there are more branches of metal than there are kinds of mental disorders.

Right now Metal's problem when you look at the charts, or listen to the radio there is/are no band, or bands that are carrying the torch so to say for metal. I for one don't necessarily see this as a bad thing.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning". - Rich Cook

Zoesch

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 07:54:13 AM »

Being that my livelyhood in music was provided by metal and industrial bands, I have to say, thank goodness the charts don't reflect them, because as soon as they do, as Stavross said, the band dies a horrible death (Unless they have reached cult status and even then, they struggle... just ask Iommi)

But the underground hadn't been this exciting since 1989, there's a ton of stuff and metal is finally diversifying away from just faster louder harder.

The few bands I've worked with lately have wanted different approaches to recording and production (Not to mention songwriting) which aren't the norm in metal, thanks to the likes of Entombed, Neurosis or D.E.P there's variety in styles, in tempos, in rythms and in approaches.

For me that is both challenging and rewarding... much better than say 1994 when I had too many bands which were clones of other more stablished bands.

The kids are angry still, it's just that the real angry ones go underground, the others voice their anger in more mall-approved metal styles
It has always been Ringo's fault

Rautio

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 09:26:03 AM »

I think metal is still going strong although it doesn't show on billboard... Just as Zoesch pointed out, the underground is extremely interesting these days, with more and more QUALITY music surfacing. And hey, I guess Finland is the only country in Europe where no 1 on top40 can be a band like Children of Bodom...

The thing that feeds metal in general is the punkish DIY movement. 90% of all the metalheads I've met are actively involved in the genre, either as players, or part a fanzine or webzine. Fuck BillBoard, I say.

P.S. As an afterthought... I do think that a lot of the anger has gone from metal, metal has perhaps matured? Or norwegians ran out of churches to burn and Ozzy doesn't feel for bat-heads anymore? I personally don't see LinkinPark, Korn, or LimbMember as angry at all. Of all the bandfrom this wave (Korn precedes it by far though) , I do respect Slipknow the most, some of their songs have Soooo much hate it oozes though my speakers. Feels almost as good as Raining Blood on full blast =)
Sami Rautio
"Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner."
-Douglas Adams

http://www.myshameful.com

Zoesch

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 09:43:21 AM »

Nu-metal is what I classify as mall-anger... funny about Norwegians running out of churches to burn, you just reminded me that I should give Lords of Chaos another read Very Happy (PS: Semi-related, I hadn't heard such an honestly angry song like Entombed's-Young&Dead in ages)

Nothing like the blast of social discontent that was Napalm Death for example... or the pounding thought metal of Death or Sepultura... people never realized how thought inspiring anger can be, if channeled correctly.

Although some look at my metal/industrial past (And present) with scorn... I feel proud about it.

We need a headbanger icon, but in the meantime

\m/ Twisted Evil \m/
It has always been Ringo's fault

Rautio

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 10:02:28 AM »

I don't need to Read the Lords of Chaos, I need to buy a new one... I think I've used it up already, it's coming apart  Very Happy  

But yeah... these hippettyhoppetty Yo-bangers have no true hate in them. Just a bunch of suburb sissies to whom th worst thing is when you run out of crack  Evil or Very Mad  

When I get off work today, it's time for some Emperor (In the nightside eclipse) and Darkthrone (Under a funeral moon).

Ah, I remember when I bought Sepulturas Arise on vinyl  Twisted Evil  My parents went nuts during the following week...
Sami Rautio
"Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner."
-Douglas Adams

http://www.myshameful.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.