R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: advice on setup  (Read 9890 times)

Fibes

Re: advice on setup
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 05:20:05 PM »

marcel wrote on Sun, 14 September 2008 14:16

I just take a balanced, line level bus out into the 'output' of a Radial JDI, and go from its 'input' to the amp.  Don't know why Rick uses the (active) first box..(?)

I usually engage the 15dB pad on the DI box, and then bring the bus fader up slowly, as Rick says, to avoid explosion.

I've done the same.

My headphone system works for this much of the time now...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

rankus

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »

marcel wrote on Sun, 14 September 2008 11:16

Don't know why Rick uses the (active) first box..(?)

Hmm.  I do it this way as it is the way I was taught.. It never occurred to me to try without the active DI to be honest!

In my defense the Radial literature shows this same method as I use.  I think it is to ensure that the passive DI sees the correct impedance at it's input..

I should also note that the JDV (active DI) has a "drag control" to vary the impedance which I make use of while in re-amp mode as well.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Fig

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »

Firefly wrote on Fri, 12 September 2008 17:27

Whats your guys preferred method (of dealing with the impedance mismatch from your soundcard to the amp)?

What's a soundcard?

Any passive DI in reverse will do what you ask.

Make sure you have an attenuator (aux send or fader) in front the DI (like for sending to a reverb or something) and that you do, indeed, start with it all the way down!

$0.02,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 07:59:16 AM »

I love the Sherman, and would love to own one. I've tried it quite a lot though. It is very harsh and nasty to the point of buzzy and broken sounding. In a very good way.

But it's not a swiss army tool.

That Akai filter is more towards a classic analog synth filter box, sounds OK but it's rather limited.

A very good way to get any track to sound like a synth, is to run it through a synth. Smile

Something like a big modular thing with audio inputs.

I have an EMS VCS-3 for that, as do some others. There are plenty of new and old options out there.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

ATOR

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 05:55:31 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Tue, 16 September 2008 13:59

I love the Sherman, and would love to own one. I've tried it quite a lot though. It is very harsh and nasty to the point of buzzy and broken sounding. In a very good way.

That Akai filter is more towards a classic analog synth filter box, sounds OK but it's rather limited.

A very good way to get any track to sound like a synth, is to run it through a synth. Smile

I have an EMS VCS-3 for that, as do some others. There are plenty of new and old options out there.

The VCS-3 is great. I'd love to have one of those one day, they are truly mesmerizing.

I'm using a KORG MS-20 to mangle sound. It's a great synth with a hipass and a lopass filter, an LFO, two envelopes and it's pseudo modular meaning you can patch the envelopes, LFO and external audio to where you want.

You can run external audio through the filters but you can also use external audio to control the filter cutoff and the oscillator pitch. So you can run a boring synthpad through the filters and have a percussionpart control the cutoff and end up with an out of this world electronic percussive part.
Or run a guitargroove through the lopass filter and set the envelope to trigger on every attack and let the envelope control the filter cutoff.

The filters are selfoscillating so they'll do plenty of weird bleep and bloop shit.

You can even plug in a (bass-)guitar and have the oscillators track the guitar pitch if the part is clean and not too fast.

It's the most inspiring sound machine I have. And hey, you can even use it as a synth. It screams and cuts through a mix like no other.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

Tomas Danko

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 06:35:54 AM »

ATOR wrote on Wed, 17 September 2008 22:55

Tomas Danko wrote on Tue, 16 September 2008 13:59

The VCS-3 is great. I'd love to have one of those one day, they are truly mesmerizing.

I'm using a KORG MS-20 to mangle sound. It's a great synth with a hipass and a lopass filter, an LFO, two envelopes and it's pseudo modular meaning you can patch the envelopes, LFO and external audio to where you want.

You can run external audio through the filters but you can also use external audio to control the filter cutoff and the oscillator pitch. So you can run a boring synthpad through the filters and have a percussionpart control the cutoff and end up with an out of this world electronic percussive part.
Or run a guitargroove through the lopass filter and set the envelope to trigger on every attack and let the envelope control the filter cutoff.

The filters are selfoscillating so they'll do plenty of weird bleep and bloop shit.

You can even plug in a (bass-)guitar and have the oscillators track the guitar pitch if the part is clean and not too fast.

It's the most inspiring sound machine I have. And hey, you can even use it as a synth. It screams and cuts through a mix like no other.

The nifty thing with the Korg MS20 is that the LFO goes way up into the audible band. That calls for some great modulation akin' to ringmodesque sounds but different. The MS20 is very fierce and aggressive, great sound.

One could perhaps start out with a virtual modular such as something from Arturia or the likes. But somehow, when it comes to messing up audio tracks the analog hardware versions makes more of a difference.

One fairly inexpensive alternative is the Doepfer A100 modular system.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

j.hall

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »

indigo is working nicely for actual pads and such.  it was free with PT and i've never used it.

i do what a sherman filter bank for straight out mangle, but i'll play with indigo first, as it might be able to hang.

T. Mueller

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 11 September 2008 20:31

i need to make bass guitars synthie and cool.  i need to turn any instrument into a cool synth pad/patch.

forget budget.  just tell me what you dig and why.

J., when you come over this week, remind me to show you my pedal rack.  There's definitely synth/pad stuff on there.  Some of it's crap and will be removed in the next two weeks; some of it's cheap and not bad.  Some of it is ridiculously ethereally kick-you-in-the-teeth.  Ironic juxtaposition intended.

garret

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2008, 09:58:37 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 23 September 2008 15:23

indigo is working nicely for actual pads and such.  it was free with PT and i've never used it.

i do what a sherman filter bank for straight out mangle, but i'll play with indigo first, as it might be able to hang.

Also check out FreeAlpha3.   It's a freeware, stripped down version of Alpha3 from Linplug, which is a very nice synth.

http://www.linplug.com/Download/download.htm

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.