R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: advice on setup  (Read 9889 times)

iCombs

Re: advice on setup
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »

Getting at the in-house guitars angle...I know someone mentioned the new American Standard basses and I gotta agree with that 1000% [note: NOT A TYPO].

They are HANDS DOWN the best basses Fender has made in the last 10 years (at that price point).  I've played a few and they've all been consistently good.

As far as attacking the Les Paul angle...I'm a BIG fan of Tokai...the bummer is they're illegal to retail in the states, but you can buy them for fairly cheap off eBay.  If you get one of the Japanese-made Love Rock models...you'll get a guitar that is built as well as a Gibson for like...1/3 the price of a new LP standard.  Toss some shit hot rockin' pickups in it and get some good pots and caps in it and you'll have something that will walk on most any stock LP.

Also...just got a PRS SE Soapbar II Maple the other day...and I gotta say that it's a totally decent guitar for the price.  Perhaps one of the PRS SE Singlecuts with some upgraded electronics would also fill that sort of gap without breaking the bank.  I've gotta play some more of them, but those SE's seem to be a hell of an instrument at the price point.

Just a thought.  Or two.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

j.hall

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 09:31:31 PM »

iCombs wrote on Thu, 11 September 2008 09:01

but it sounded like j.'s issue wasn't one of space, but rather time.  anyone feel free to correct me on this if i've misread something.

exactly.  i have space for cabs and amps, but, as a hard rock guitar player, i'm well aware of how loud my own personal amp runs for me to feel good about it's tone.  that level, shakes my house.

i work with some bands that have day jobs and want to keep their vacation time for holidays.  they also are asking me to track guitars.  after hours just doesn't work here.

so isolation is key.

marcel, honestly, i can get the grendel for 350, i can see me building one for much cheaper.  i love to build things, and i'm moderately good at it.  i just can't see how that much material and my time will equate to much less.

i want to hear more about converters and synths.  ANYONE with experience in this PLEASE post.

i need to make bass guitars synthie and cool.  i need to turn any instrument into a cool synth pad/patch.

i need to get my "take the tracks home and overdub" clients to deliver better tracks.  i LOVE, LOVE!!!!  API gear.  but i want to hear what else you guys have used.

forget budget.  just tell me what you dig and why.

grantis

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 10:35:29 PM »

If you want to send clients mics for guitar overdubbing, send them a pair of e906 sennheisers.  Those have always sounded good on any guitar I've put them on, and they're pretty tough little mics, good for bouncing around the country (no pun intended).

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

j.hall

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 11:05:32 AM »

i'm thinking more about vocals.

does anyone know what jeremy ward (deceased member of mars volta) used on De-Loused.... to manipulate the vocals?

marcel

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 01:49:49 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 11 September 2008 18:31

marcel, honestly, i can get the grendel for 350, i can see me building one for much cheaper.  i love to build things, and i'm moderately good at it.  i just can't see how that much material and my time will equate to much less.

I think you're probably right at that price...
Quote:

i want to hear more about converters and synths.  ANYONE with experience in this PLEASE post.

i need to make bass guitars synthie and cool.  i need to turn any instrument into a cool synth pad/patch.
I use that Electro Harmonix Micro Bass Synth, and it works well with some tweaking.  I've heard that the Akai Deep Impact is cool, but have never had a chance to try one.  I'm also a heavy Kaoss Pad (V2) user, sounds cheesy, but I often find the right 'special FX' patch in there to create interest in a mix. For all-round mangling, it's pretty versatile.
Quote:

i need to get my "take the tracks home and overdub" clients to deliver better tracks.  i LOVE, LOVE!!!!  API gear.  but i want to hear what else you guys have used.

forget budget.  just tell me what you dig and why.

I dunno, I think stuff sounds good primarily because of the people who are using it.  Think of how many things go thru your head when you put up a mic, even something simple that you've done lots of times.  'Does this sound like before?'  'Is this right for the track?'  'Do I need to roll off the bass on that guitar amp?' etc, etc, etc.

I still think the quality of this stuff is going to be a crapshoot, no matter what you give them.

Maybe you need to get a part-time second engineer who can handle the remotes?  I would have jumped at that when I was a young guy...
Best, Marcel

j.hall

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 03:04:18 PM »

marcel wrote on Fri, 12 September 2008 12:49

Maybe you need to get a part-time second engineer who can handle the remotes?  I would have jumped at that when I was a young guy...

problem there is travel budget.

i'd be sending a guy to chicago, upstate new york, texas, st. louis, etc....

the whole point is to cut budget.  sending some one churns away airfare, room and board and a day rate.

Fig

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 03:47:45 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 11 September 2008 20:31

Hi J,

I like to use Line6 ModPro and FilterPro for these kinds of effects.  They are discontinued, unfortunately - as they are very cool.

If you can find one or the other - get 'em.  The EchoPro is cool, too - but doesn't do what you are talking about.

Another neat box is the MFC-42 from Akai.  A MIDI controllable/syncable, multi-pole analog filter.  Actually, its a stereo filter and a mono filter - sounds really cool on basses, IMO.

Of course everyone has mentioned the Sherman, already.

Also consider, something simple like a Korg MS-2000 or MicroKORG which has a vocoder path.  You can run stereo audio through these things, too.

Can't comment on Reason - you know why <wink>

Hope this helps,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

j.hall

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 04:01:46 PM »

Fig, what are your thoughts on the sherman.  i know very little and need to collect more opinions.

is the akai a stomp box?

Fig

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 06:11:41 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 12 September 2008 15:01

Fig, what are your thoughts on the sherman.  i know very little and need to collect more opinions.

Well...  I've only used one, I do not own one ($$$).

It is the ultimate mangler and when used subtley, can be really cool, too.

Quote:

is the akai a stomp box?

Nope:

http://www.akaipro.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/1754/tt /5

Two rack spaces - a dedicated stereo filter and a dedicated mono filter (3 inputs) mixed to a stereo output (2 outputs).

Syncs to MIDI for time-related sweeps of the built-in LFO, envelope and trigger modes.  Sends MIDI data, too.  Its pretty cool.  Only thing missing is an input level meter (duh!)

Originally manufactured to link to MPC devices, but works great as a standalone analog filter set, too.

Also, look at some of the recent MoogMusic pedals:

http://www.moogmusic.com/moogerfooger/

simple one-trick ponies, when ganged together can make just about any sound unrecognizable from its true origin.

$0.02,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Firefly

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 06:27:36 PM »

I'm not meaning to hijack this thread, but there seem to be some ardent fans of re-amping here. Whats your guys preferred method (of dealing with the impedance mismatch from your soundcard to the amp)?

Gabriel F

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 12:22:41 AM »

Jeremy Ward used a kaos pad among lots of stompboxes to process vocals and instruments in mars volta. and you cant go wrong with a nord lead to do pads and synth sounds. some used analog kawai synth ,they are pretty nice.
and for tracking an sm7 and a good pre should be good enough and you eliminate a good part of the room with that mic.

Gabriel Fonts.

NelsonL

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 06:09:21 AM »

For easy ITB pad creation I get a lot of mileage out of this chain--

Pitchshift (Melodyne) > FX/Sound design IR's (TL Space) >  long delay (Massey TD5) > Verb or short delay.

Plus, those are all very useful plugins on their own.

rankus

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 01:05:33 PM »

Firefly wrote on Fri, 12 September 2008 15:27

I'm not meaning to hijack this thread, but there seem to be some ardent fans of re-amping here. Whats your guys preferred method (of dealing with the impedance mismatch from your soundcard to the amp)?

Well there are dedicated boxes that are made for this... but:

I like to use two DI boxes.  One active and one passive. Run the line out from your board (or daw) into the active DI's input then use a female to female xlr adapter to connect the output of the active DI to the output of the passive one.. This effectively drives the passive DI in reverse.  You take the 1/4" "input" of the passive DI and run that to your amp.

Sounds like a hassle but it's quick to setup, and the bonus over buying a dedicated re-amp box is that you now have two DI's that come in handy all the time.

I use Radial JDV for the active and a Radial JDI for the passive... all those Jensen transformers in the path don't hurt!

PS:  Make sure you start with all your faders DOWN and bring em up slowly... less "surprises"

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Firefly

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 10:40:11 AM »

Cool thanks for that, some good lateral thinking there. Now i just have to get my hands on an active DI to try it...

(Although something that just occurred to me, wouldn't the effect work just as well without the active DI in the chain?)

marcel

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 02:16:30 PM »

I just take a balanced, line level bus out into the 'output' of a Radial JDI, and go from its 'input' to the amp.  Don't know why Rick uses the (active) first box..(?)

I usually engage the 15dB pad on the DI box, and then bring the bus fader up slowly, as Rick says, to avoid explosion.
Best, Marcel
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.