R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gordon Instruments Model 5 Microphone Preamplifier  (Read 27783 times)

wwittman

Re: Gordon Instruments Model 5 Microphone Preamplifier
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 10:29:47 AM »

I just think it's inherently shaky ground when one gets into the " this is accurate" "this is coloured" "this is neutral" areas

Much more defensible to say " I like this", or not

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Barry Hufker

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 11:17:26 AM »

I agree the ground is a little more unsteady, but "this is more neutral" can be objectively supported by measuring frequency response, distortion, etc.  "I like this" is irrefutable, as everyone is allowed his opinion, but the conversation might just be a wandering in the desert.

I am confident however should you give Grant a call to audition a unit, you'll end up saying "I like this".

Larrchild

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 11:48:54 PM »

Trust the Gordon Fisherman.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Barry Hufker

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 12:29:10 AM »

hmmmm.... no...

Usually it's genius Larry but not today...

Have another go.

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 11:08:16 AM »

I would like to suggest a simplified version of the Model 5, with less gain settings. With nowadays 24 bit resolution 3 to 5 gain settings would do the job. I assume if every gain setting is compensated the way Mr. Carpenter does, a simplified version would cost probably less, and also be less bulky.

Was there not an old German broadcast preamp, which only had one gain setting of 40 dB? People seemed to have worked around that too.

Schallfeldnebel

Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

marcel

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 11:25:18 AM »

Schallfeldnebel wrote on Fri, 28 November 2008 08:08

Was there not an old German broadcast preamp, which only had one gain setting of 40 dB? People seemed to have worked around that too.

Yes, but was it not also common to use a passive attenuator after this preamp to control its output level?  Not that I disagree with your suggestion of simplified gain control, but when preamps are not in a desk, the parameters are a little different.
Best, Marcel

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2008, 12:57:11 PM »

NOTHING had variable gain settings before the late '60s!

Bodoc

Re: Gordon, Forssell, Millennia
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2009, 09:52:36 AM »

As a string player who is called upon to do overdubs, I have heard about (but never experienced) the Gordon pre.  A friend (a fellow fiddler) was blown away by what he termed the "third dimensional depth" of the Gordon.  Personally, I have noticed (but enjoyed) sessions using the Millennia because of what I experience as a nicely flat,  2-D gloss it lends to the sound.  So, I'd really like to experience the Gordon.

In my experience, the informational feedback that certain mic/preamp chains gives this individual acoustic player when I hear the initial take's playback changes the approach I use when under the gun -- both consciously and unconsciously. If I am hearing a lot of detail, it leads me to go in a deep, focused direction.  If there is something of a haze (even if flattering) it leads me into another (don't throw pearls before swine:  just go for energy, not on subtle nuance or touch).

Which brings me to a question for you experts:  any controlled A/B of the Gordon and Forssell smp-2?  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.