R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Primera ink cartridge compatibility...  (Read 40349 times)

Taproot

Primera ink cartridge compatibility...
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:58:07 AM »

I guess this is the right forum for this. So I got a Primera Bravo II CD DVD robot. Does anyone know what consumer ink cartridge the Primera cartridges are compatible with? Surely they're not exclusive to Primera. I want to start re-filling the black cartridges, but I have to have reference. Thanks.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

TotalSonic

Re: Primera ink cartridge compatibility...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »

Taproot wrote on Fri, 05 September 2008 09:58

I guess this is the right forum for this. So I got a Primera Bravo II CD DVD robot. Does anyone know what consumer ink cartridge the Primera cartridges are compatible with? Surely they're not exclusive to Primera. I want to start re-filling the black cartridges, but I have to have reference. Thanks.

Standard Lexmark cartridges (forget the numbers) used to work in the old Primera Signature I & II printers - but since I think the Signature IV on up to the present models afaik Primera has added a proprietary chip into their ink cartridge that if not present will not allow the cartridge to be used in their printers!  So unfortunately us Primera printer users are stuck buying their relatively expensive ink cartridges.  

After previously struggling with some poorly designed or built CD printers (i.e. various models from EZCD and XLNT Idea) got to say that I've had very reliable performance and quality prints from my Primera Z6 - so the extra cost of the ink doesn't really bother me relative to the cost of having to replace printers at annoyingly short frequency.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 06:50:18 PM »

Microboards has the same thing. You cannot use the MUCH cheaper HP cartridges and you have to use the Microboards ink with a built in chip. There has to be a way to fool the machine so you can use the cheaper inks. I can get two HP cartridges for what I pay for one Microboards ink cartridge. The older Microboard models would work with the normal HP ink cartridges but they built in the need for the "special" cartridges when the newer machines came out. Bummer.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 07:57:44 AM »

I'm sure you can refill those cartridges if you want.

With all the discs I print on my Primera I still only replace them maybe twice/year.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Taproot

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 01:58:28 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 07 September 2008 05:57

With all the discs I print on my Primera I still only replace them maybe twice/year.

I'm really happy with mine and the ink usage is very pleasing.

My question is, what cartridge are they compatible with? I don't actually need/want to buy the consumer cartridge. To refill them, I was told they need a compatible cartridge #. I can refill them for $10 vs. $30+ and I don't have to wait on shipping if I'm in a bind.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

bblackwood

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 03:22:43 PM »

Taproot wrote on Sun, 07 September 2008 12:58

My question is, what cartridge are they compatible with?

I have no idea.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

TotalSonic

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 06:54:41 PM »

Taproot wrote on Sun, 07 September 2008 13:58

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 07 September 2008 05:57

I'm really happy with mine and the ink usage is very pleasing.

My question is, what cartridge are they compatible with? I don't actually need/want to buy the consumer cartridge. To refill them, I was told they need a compatible cartridge #. I can refill them for $10 vs. $30+ and I don't have to wait on shipping if I'm in a bind.

Not 100% positive - but I believe the color cartridge for the Bravo is the Lexmark 35.  

Doing a Google came up with this site of someone selling instructions for converting Lexmark cartridges for use in Primera's - I have no idea whether this works or not but you can check it out at - http://www.primera-secrets.com/

Got to mention that my experience using refill kits for other types of ink cartridges has often been fairly negative.  Hopefully ymmv.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Taproot

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 03:31:53 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Sun, 07 September 2008 16:54

Not 100% positive - but I believe the color cartridge for the Bravo is the Lexmark 35.  

Doing a Google came up with this site of someone selling instructions for converting Lexmark cartridges for use in Primera's - I have no idea whether this works or not but you can check it out at - http://www.primera-secrets.com/

Got to mention that my experience using refill kits for other types of ink cartridges has often been fairly negative.  Hopefully ymmv.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I went down to the local office supply co. and checked out cartridges. For what I have(Bravo II), it's Lexmark 16 for black and Lexmark 26 for color. I'm gonna try to refill the cartridge at Walgreen's first and then buy a generic 16 and see if either work. I'll post results.

BTW, I've good results refilling black cartridges, but for some reason, the color ones just don't work.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

Taproot

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:54:35 AM »

FYI, I ran out of ink yesterday. I took the cartridge to Walgreen's and asked them to refill it as a Lexmark 16. On the first try, she said the machine told her that it did not fill. The second try, it told her the cartridge was defective. She gave it back to me, at no charge, but I could tell it had been refilled. I went back and installed it and it worked flawlessly, other than a couple of minor streaks on the 5th or 6th disc.

I'm wondering if the alleged evil chip caused the refill errors? I guess the next step is to try a generic Lex 16. Has anyone tried this or is the proprietary chip an urban legend? Just curious. This is more of a fun experiment for me, but it's good to know that I can run down and refill in a pinch. And for free!  Very Happy

P.S.- Just kidding about that last statement. If I continue to refill, I'll alert them to what's happening.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

brettportzer

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 11:37:57 PM »

I have an older Bravo, and that is right about the Lexmark 16 and 26 cartridges.

I have had good luck getting the refilled at the local island inkjets.

They say you can only refill a couple of times though.

However, I think the key to the whole thing is just the bar code on the primera cartridges.

There is a little right light that scans the bottom of the cartridge, if you notice, and I am certain this is what it is looking for...  because, I heated the sticker up slightly and transferred it to Lexmark cartridges, and it still works.

Might be different on the older ones, I think mine is just a Bravo, it's CD only, etc...

Taproot

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 05:53:49 PM »

brettportzer wrote on Thu, 11 September 2008 21:37

I have an older Bravo, and that is right about the Lexmark 16 and 26 cartridges.

I have had good luck getting the refilled at the local island inkjets.

They say you can only refill a couple of times though.

However, I think the key to the whole thing is just the bar code on the primera cartridges.

There is a little right light that scans the bottom of the cartridge, if you notice, and I am certain this is what it is looking for...  because, I heated the sticker up slightly and transferred it to Lexmark cartridges, and it still works.

Might be different on the older ones, I think mine is just a Bravo, it's CD only, etc...

Maybe twice for black and once for color cartridges. I think you're right about the bar code (color code). In this mass-production world, there's no way, IMO, that they would increase costs by inserting a chip to make a few "exclusive" bucks. I'll try the bar code (color code) on a generic cartridge and report back later.

As a side note, I actually liked the refill black ink better than the Primera. Lighter, more detail. Almost like a color, sepia print. JMO
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

redavdp

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 10:26:01 AM »

I tested it!
It works great!

The Primera Bravo (I use the older Bravo 1) is 100% compatible with the Lexmark 16 and 26.

Just peel off the color barcode and clue it together (I used plastic tape) on the lexmark model.

Primera cartridge compatible with lexmark

Garrett H

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 01:46:03 PM »

If it's a proprietary ink cartridge here's what I can tell you:

1. The chip will give ink refill stores (Walgreens) trouble, telling the tech the cartridge is defective or can not be refilled.

2. You will be able to re fill the cartridge if you're willing to tear it open, get the appropriate ink and syringe.  There is some weird pressurizing thing that has to go on, so they often must sit 24 hours before use.  

3. You'll only get 1 or 2 refills before the cartridge will stop printing correctly.  Then, you'll have to buy a new proprietary cartridge.

4. The companies will argue until the End of Days that there is a difference between their product and the standard (and much more affordable) cartridges out there. The problem is there is no real way to sort out if what they contend is true or not.  

5. It is my opinion that there only difference is the money the companies spend to have the proprietary micro chip embedded and the labeling and packaging of the cartridge.  Again, its my opinion that the ink and cartridge are otherwise the same as the general ones.

6. I challenge any manufacturer to prove substantive differences.  

7. Without going into an Adam Smith tirade, the general public is usually resentful of paying for goods and services that are artificially imposed upon them.  This, in my opinion, is one of those situations.  In the long run, companies that commit these types of market choices usually fail.
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

Taproot

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 10:45:15 AM »

I forgot to update. As redavdp stated it does work. And as I expected, there is no "chip". If you watch, after you change a cartridge, there is a red light (laser?) that illuminates under the cartridge to detect the color band.

I've refilled a black cartridge twice at Walgreen's. It was rejected and I told them that it was fine and perfectly usable, but they wouldn't allow me to pay for it, AGAIN. Works flawlessly.

Save your color bands!  Cool
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

Taproot

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 10:48:18 AM »

I FINALLY CRACKED THE CODE!!!

I found that the color bands cannot be removed without disintegrating. When I ran out of ink the last time, I took a small craft saw and cut off the section of the cartridge around the color bands. I then took the pieces to a local print shop and had them do a high res scan of each one. I then had the graphics guy size them up, just like the original. I then had  him copy and paste a few hundred of each and print them out w/ a laser printer on glossy sticker paper.

It is bullshit to have buy those Primera cartridges online, then pay $12 for shipping (UPS ground) on an already expensive cartridge and then have to wait for them to arrive. It never fails to put me in a bind. Anyway, if any of you want a PDF of the color band file, email or PM me and I'll be glad to email it to you and you can print your own.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

bblackwood

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 10:53:02 AM »

Wow, what dedication!

I just buy the 5-packs and keep extras on hand.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Taproot

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 11:01:58 AM »

That's what I normally do, but it NEVER fails, one cartridge runs out of ink or a cartridge goes bad (happens frequently), it always, always, always, leaves me in a bind. It never happens at a convenient time. Plus, it's always nice to "stick it to the man" sometimes.  Twisted Evil

Now, I can "buy local" by running down to the mom-n-pop office supply and carry on with no problems.

Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »

I think it is lexmark 16 and and it's comparable 26 for Black and Color.  I will double check when I have a minute.
You can also refill.

Just realized this is an old thread......

TW

Taproot

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »

Waltz Mastering wrote on Mon, 16 February 2009 10:46

I think it is lexmark 16 and and it's comparable 26 for Black and Color.  I will double check when I have a minute.

It is the Lex 16 and 26, but they will not work w/o the color bands.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »

True.  I remember now.  We used to photo copy the ones from primivera and scotch tape them on.  (photoshop)

TW

mw07421

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »

My company has 2 Signature Pros. Anyone know what cartridges will work in those? I have tons of old empties to get a barcode off of if I just knew which Lexmark's would work.

Taproot

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 08:00:13 AM »

Take them to an ink refill station and they can probably tell you.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

castor1337

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 11:08:41 AM »

The cartridges for the Primera III/IV/Pro/Z6 printers are the Lexmark 12A1980 (aka 80) for color (Primera 53318) and 12A1970 (aka 70) for black (Primera 53319).  I've tested the color one and verified it worked.  Could someone please scan their black colorbar and send it to me?  I don't own a Primera black cartridge, and would like to avoid buying one.

E-mail me with any questions.  castor1350 -at- gmail.com

Thanks!

Taproot

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »

BUMP.

Just keeping this topic relevant for search engines. I've been getting tons of emails from all over the globe wanting the PDF for the bar codes and I'm glad to accommodate.  Cool
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 12:16:22 PM »

Jeff,

I'll email about the bar code for the color 53330 if that's what you have.  I   could use that.  Also if if someone has any used  color 53330 cartridges please pm me.  I could use them also. (4 for $20)+ postage.

Best.

bblackwood

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 12:35:03 PM »

Taproot wrote on Thu, 18 June 2009 10:19

BUMP.

Just keeping this topic relevant for search engines. I've been getting tons of emails from all over the globe wanting the PDF for the bar codes and I'm glad to accommodate.  Cool

You can probably post it here as an attachment if you wish to save yourself some trouble...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

brewhaus

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 09:17:58 AM »

We run a Primera LX810.  Is anyone familiar with this printer (ie. does it use the same method for validating cartridges?  Which Lexmark cartridges are compatible?)?  We have been refilling, but this is only a semi-satisfactory option.

Xanth

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 06:13:27 PM »

While we're at it, anyone know what works with the Bravo SE?

The info I've read says that they're identical to the Lexmark 34 & 35 cartridges, but, no surprise, those won't work out of the box.  Anyone know if Bravo SE uses the same barcode system as the Bravo I & II?

Thanks

brewhaus

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 10:58:27 PM »

For our LX810 I tried removing the bar code on a used cartridge and the printer still recognized it and remembered the ink level, so I don't think that it uses the barcode to check cartridges.

bblackwood

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 03:30:41 PM »

Update:
Jeffrey sent me the .pdf to host for you guys along with this note:
Quote:

The bars on the left are Black & White. The bars on the right are Color. The orientation is as if the cartridge is on it's back with the ink jets facing away from you.

http://www.euphonicmasters.com/misc/PrimeraStickers.pdf
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ed Littman

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 10:30:59 PM »

castor1337 wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 11:08

The cartridges for the Primera III/IV/Pro/Z6 printers are the Lexmark 12A1980 (aka 80) for color (Primera 53318) and 12A1970 (aka 70) for black (Primera 53319).  I've tested the color one and verified it worked.  Could someone please scan their black colorbar and send it to me?  I don't own a Primera black cartridge, and would like to avoid buying one.

E-mail me with any questions.  castor1350 -at- gmail.com

Thanks!

Does the Lexmark 80 interchange with Primera 53321 for the Z6 as well? If not, does anyone know what does?

I'm now in the market to get some new ones as my cartridges are not printing correctly. I have to wipe them before any print or the black wont come out...pita

Ed

Unfadeable

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 11:33:52 PM »

I wish i would have stumbled across this sooner but im having trouble getting the color bars i affixed to the lexmark cartridges to read consistently... Any tips?

Quote:

Update:
Jeffrey sent me the .pdf to host for you guys along with this note:
Quote:

The bars on the left are Black & White. The bars on the right are Color. The orientation is as if the cartridge is on it's back with the ink jets facing away from you.

http://www.euphonicmasters.com/misc/PrimeraStickers.pdf

^Does anybody know if these will work with the 53319 and 53321? They look alot better them my scans ill give these and try and see if the LED reads them better!

davey

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »

brewhaus wrote on Wed, 21 October 2009 21:58

For our LX810 I tried removing the bar code on a used cartridge and the printer still recognized it and remembered the ink level, so I don't think that it uses the barcode to check cartridges.

After a trying to modify a ciss, my PRIMERA LX180 printer now doesn't recognize the colour cartridge. But the black is still detectable.

Anyone have any idea how on this printer. It has been driving me nuts...
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 19 queries.