R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Quad Eight MM61 pre/eq modules  (Read 25712 times)

iCombs

Re: Quad Eight MM61 pre/eq modules
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 02:26:18 PM »

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/2774825668_f9e968ff88.jpg     http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2773977105_04f7f7f0ed.jpg    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/2774831690_e7324b6efd.jpg    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/2774827632_03d32e6b72.jpg

I figured I'd throw in these new ones...a pair of MM310B's that I just got back from Orphan Audio/Quad Eight Electronics.

Now I just gotta find the $$ to get the other ten channels done up like these...
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

Steve Hudson

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 02:33:14 PM »

NelsonL wrote on Sun, 07 September 2008 05:19

Steve Hudson wrote on Fri, 05 September 2008 12:46

NelsonL wrote on Fri, 05 September 2008 05:14

I have a pair of AM10 based QE pres that are excellent. I believe they're essentially  the Pacifica pre.  Lots of headroom with a certain amount of character that never gets in the way.

According to Peter Montessi at A-Designs, their P-1 500 form factor preamp is closer in tone to an original QE preamp. Their Pacifica preamp has an extended high end. I bought a pair of P-1s to do overdubs of sessions I tracked on a QE Coronado and compared the P-1 tracks with overdubs using A-Designs' Pacifica preamps and confirmed Peter's guidance. FWIW I think they're both great preamps.

I should have been clearer as I was refering to the console-- the A designs pre wasn't out yet when I bought these, so the Pacifica console has always been my personal reference point.

D-oh!
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Brian Kehew

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 12:54:17 AM »

Having one myself - it's the console I'm most familiar with; yes, the original Pacifica IS a bit darker than most preamps. At least, when running through the channel strips. Racked individually, it may give the brighter character you found on the A-Designs version - that is true for almost any pre racked - slightly cleaner and less colored.

Those modules look great racked like that... and I know they sound even better.
Relax and float downstream...

iCombs

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 02:39:18 AM »

I was running one of my MM310's today on a voiceover session...it was a screamin' loud car spot that i attenuated down at the output gain (not at the mic input) and realized about halfway through the take that I was obviously running the input in the red, as the waveform was...well...obviously clipping (note: no compressor on this VO as this client prefers their own)...but when I went in and looked at the sections that were leveled out...they weren't even close to square...and what little distortion i heard was pretty gentle to the ear...it almost sounded as if the voice was just straining a little harder and not like the gear went "SPLAT."

The more and more I use these things, the more and more I'm impressed by them.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

Silvertone

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »

iCombs wrote on Wed, 10 September 2008 01:39

I was running one of my MM310's today on a voiceover session...it was a screamin' loud car spot that i attenuated down at the output gain (not at the mic input) and realized about halfway through the take that I was obviously running the input in the red, as the waveform was...well...obviously clipping (note: no compressor on this VO as this client prefers their own)...but when I went in and looked at the sections that were leveled out...they weren't even close to square...and what little distortion i heard was pretty gentle to the ear...it almost sounded as if the voice was just straining a little harder and not like the gear went "SPLAT."

Hi Ian,

Nice units. Did Ken supply the vertical face plates?

Same thing happened to me when Danny (McKinney from Requisite Audio) sent me the first 4 Warner Brothers MM310 modules.

I couldn't believe what they sounded like and then once I started using the EQ section... forgettaboutit!!!

I like the "build up" of these on tracks much better then my 1073's. Way less cloudy and way less of a fight in the end when mixing. Eventually I stopped cutting drums though the 1073's and started using these and Electrodyne modules (edyne are my faves for kick and snare).

Now I'm not putting down 1073's at all, I love the sound of them but throughout my life I never wanted to have the same sound as everybody else.  I just came up in a time when bands sounded different from one another and studios sounded different from one another. I've come full circle now... So I have "the best" 1960's studio I can afford. 15x4 Electrodyne console and 12x2 Langevin (built by Electrodyne) tube console and scadds of vintage outboard gear and mics.... now back on track since I'm not suppose to deviate from the subject...

Enjoy those MM310's! They will be getting quite a bit of use I'm sure.
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

iCombs

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 11:14:22 AM »

Silvertone wrote on Wed, 10 September 2008 08:04

iCombs wrote on Wed, 10 September 2008 01:39

Hi Ian,

Nice units. Did Ken supply the vertical face plates?

Same thing happened to me when Danny (McKinney from Requisite Audio) sent me the first 4 Warner Brothers MM310 modules.

I couldn't believe what they sounded like and then once I started using the EQ section... forgettaboutit!!!

I like the "build up" of these on tracks much better then my 1073's. Way less cloudy and way less of a fight in the end when mixing. Eventually I stopped cutting drums though the 1073's and started using these and Electrodyne modules (edyne are my faves for kick and snare).

Now I'm not putting down 1073's at all, I love the sound of them but throughout my life I never wanted to have the same sound as everybody else.  I just came up in a time when bands sounded different from one another and studios sounded different from one another. I've come full circle now... So I have "the best" 1960's studio I can afford. 15x4 Electrodyne console and 12x2 Langevin (built by Electrodyne) tube console and scadds of vintage outboard gear and mics.... now back on track since I'm not suppose to deviate from the subject...

Enjoy those MM310's! They will be getting quite a bit of use I'm sure.

yes, Ken did the new faceplates.  Apparently Ken plans on doing way more 310's and I got some of the first few of the new faceplates.

I don't know if y'all have heard the story, but I got the console these strips came out of for free.  Zip.  Nada.  It came out of a post house that was liquidating due to the owner's very sudden (and really sad) death and had been sitting in storage for almost 20 years.  All I had to do was toss it in a truck (all...puh...me and a buddy did it...coulda used an extra couple guys...that console was HUGE) and drive it home.

Aside from the 12 MM310's, I also culled 13 CA-127's from the console...which, with a little help again from Ken and the crew at Orphan/Q8, will also become mic preamps.  Granted...they won't have these EQ's on them...which is a pity as these are friggin' amazing EQ's, but will still be high in iron...good for a growing boy such as myself.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

rob s

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 08:25:18 PM »

whatever happened to the orel roberts console?
man that thing is beautiful.
did it get cut up and parted out?

Silvertone

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 07:31:08 AM »

rob s wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 19:25

whatever happened to the orel roberts console?
man that thing is beautiful.
did it get cut up and parted out?

I believe it did since I have two of the AM2B compressors from that console (there were 8 total in that console).  She sure was beautiful and the largest Q8 ever built.  I have a picture of it somewhere (the guy who sold me the AM2B's sent me the picture).
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

rob s

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »

that is very sad.

well i got my 16x4 edyne up and rockin.
its been doin sessions all summer.
love that EQ.
crankin up the hi eq is sweet.
modded two of the busses with modern faster stuff.
responded nicely.
vintage or modern take a pick.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »

FWIW that board from WHR studio A had an API 550a normaled into every single channel insert which was the eq. most of us used in that room.

L Ron

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »

I've got a guy here in LA offering 2 m-310 bl modules (not racked) for $600 per module. Is this reasonable? Also, what can I expect to spend in getting them racked up? Thanks!

-Louie

thedoc

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 10:27:46 PM »

In the wooden rack that Silvertone showes in his picture, the pumpkin modules are EXACTLY like the ones that were used to dub many BIG (Oscars for best sound) feature films at Goldwyn Sound in the 80's, even down to the Gliss faders with the red knobs.  I decommisioned that console in 84 and don't really know what became of it.  Those modules could very well be from that console.  

IDENTICAL!
Doc

Silvertone

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »

thedoc wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 21:27

In the wooden rack that Silvertone showes in his picture, the pumpkin modules are EXACTLY like the ones that were used to dub many BIG (Oscars for best sound) feature films at Goldwyn Sound in the 80's, even down to the Gliss faders with the red knobs.  I decommisioned that console in 84 and don't really know what became of it.  Those modules could very well be from that console.  

IDENTICAL!

Hi Doc,

Those are actually part of the Warner Brothers console that I bought off Danny McKinney from Requisite Audio 10 years ago... he is guy responsible for all this Q8 nonsense that has ensued since then in my life... great console, great modules.

Above those are the Bearsville modules, those have the Bearsville name engraved at the top of them by Q8 (pretty cool).

Many of these consoles (both Q8 and Electrodyne) were used in a lot of the classic films.  Also for live on air broadcast, radio and concert sound.

Care to mention any films you worked on with this console?

best regards,
Larry
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582

thedoc

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2008, 02:18:46 PM »

Well, hmmm, Back then Goldwyn Sound was part of Warner Hollywood Studios, so I think those modules came from that board.  Every Q8 back in those days had a ton of custom modules and layouts and were not stamped out like in later years.  Below every three modules was a rotary pot that worked as a sub for those three faders.  No automation.
The mixers who used the console were:
Bill Varney
Steve Maslow
Gregg Landaker
you can IMDB those guys to get an idea of the movies that I refer to and they won two awards in a row...

I was the maintenance tech.  In the picture, taken during the mix of The Jazz Singer, you can see the back of the Q8 with a Trident set in front of it that was used for music.  That was a temp set-up and we used a ton of 24 track machines as well as 35mm Mag.
Oh yeah, that is me with my arms outstretched.index.php/fa/10267/0/
Doc

minister

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »

Awesome photo.  So late 70's/early 80's.

I spy the Dolby Cat 43 in the lower left corner on the salad bar.

tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.