R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Quad Eight EQ 712 -large panel graphic eqs  (Read 13837 times)

Silvertone

Re: Quad Eight EQ 712 -large panel graphic eqs
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 07:43:57 AM »

JGauthier wrote on Fri, 24 October 2008 16:34

Silvertone wrote on Fri, 24 October 2008 04:41

btw I own four of the original channels from the old Warner console as it was Danny at Requisite Audio who bought the console and parted it out 20 years ago. He kept 4 modules and sold them to me 6 years ago and got me started down this whole path...

So the Warner board did have 10 of these large panel graphic eqs? I have #1 and #10 and they don't say ANYTHING on the outside- no Q8 or Edyne. Only the soldered name "quad eight eq 712" on the back so I would agree that they were not built by q8. Which numbers do you have then Larry? Or did you mean the pre/eq modules.

Regardless of how similar the build was, I would never call them motown EQs cause they really aren't. And I doubt anybody seriously in the market for the infamous "motown eqs" would consider these the same regardless of sonics.

I have the M310 modules from the console (mic pre/EQ's).

Now as far as the 712 graphics go, correct me if I'm wrong but if they are the same inductors with the same op-amp make-up gain how different can they sound?  I have Q8, Edynes and Melcors (3 different op-amps for gain make up) yet I bet just about anybody on the forum could NOT tell which was which as they sound almost exactly alike.

So my question is, can the inductors themselves sound different?  I know the transformers and op-amps can but can the inductors?

Only the Motown EQ's can be called the Motown EQ's, period end of story. However, don't think they were the only studio with those EQ's or that sound...
(unless they were built or modded by Motowns in house engineers).
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

JGauthier

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 02:21:26 PM »

The only importance of the term "motown eq" for me, is the value/collectors aspect. Ive never compared the two so I wouldn't make any assumptions at all- nor have I ever used the infamous "motown eq" so...

Don't get me wrong Larry, I love my EQ 712 and MM61s and Im not saying they are inferior- this title stuff is just collectability semantics! I paid quite a bit for the four of them (Q8s), But as far as the marketplace goes, the Q8 stuff just doesn't move like Neve or API. I would never compare a Q8 piece to a 1073 moneywise- but I also would NEVER pay what the going rate is for a vintage 1073. Pricing is as you know always relative on this stuff and the 1073 has reached sasquatch status- more myth than reality...

So Im glad I think 650 a channel was expensive for my MM61s and lets do our best to KEEP IT THAT WAY! Christ, could you imagine dropping 3 to 4 grand on a single channel of MM61s... I'd rather not!

Sadly, my quad eight fetish is complete. Or so I keep telling myself...

And if the 712 is the same as the motown eq but without the hype and cost... I won't be complaining anytime soon. Very Happy

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 07:44:47 PM »

FWIW the motown/langevin graphic frequencies were:

50, 130, 320, 800, 2000, 5000 and 12500 Hz.

Gold

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 08:23:34 PM »

Silvertone wrote on Fri, 24 October 2008 04:41

Now as far as the 712 graphics go, correct me if I'm wrong but if they are the same inductors with the same op-amp make-up gain how different can they sound?  

The 712's have single coils per band since they are all available at once. The 310's have tapped coils for the different frequencies. The 712's also have two gain stages in series as opposed to the single gain stage of the 310. Man those things sound good. I bet Cinemag has the original construction documents. A future project of mine is to play around with making a single opamp EQ using the Cinemag/Reichenbach/QE coils.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

JGauthier

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 09:10:19 PM »

Thanks for the freqs Bob! Its always good to hear from you on this stuff, considering you were there... Very Happy You can never post enough!

And Gold, thanks for the clarification on the build. I really like how these sound and they have been sitting on my mastering bus since the 2nd week. I wouldn't do that if they didn't sound awesome- I have other options!

I hope we can get more specific info on these since even in  this thread, there have been a lot of different perspectives.

I do think we can now say without a doubt that these are not the "motown eqs"- just based of freq alone! That would greatly affect every aspect of their sound! And I don't think its worth debating which is better- apples and oranges...

I'd still love to know if there were really 10 of these things at Warner Bros? That would be an awesome picture... 70 bands of HUGE graphic eqs!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.