R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The thread dedicated to "almost analog" plug ins.  (Read 30951 times)

burp182

Re: The thread dedicated to "almost analog" plug ins.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 04:34:58 PM »

Something very telling about the PSP 42 plug. Lexicon lets him put the Lexicon brand on it. They feel it's as close to the real thing as possible, so they're OK with it. No Lex logo on the 84, since it isn't a recreation of a physical Lex piece. I believe it has the same delay algorithms as the 42 with expanded capabilities (and 2 delay lines).
Great stuff.

jetbase

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 07:32:03 PM »

Speaking of "almost analogue" plugs, probably my most used plug in over the years has been Steinberg's Magneto. I wouldn't say that it sounds like any tape machine I've used, or that it "warms up" the sound, but what I love about it is that it brings out midrange detail in mixes in a pleasing way. On individual tracks it can add a tasteful amount of subtle overdrive. One of it's strengths is not that it sounds analogue, but that it doesn't sound digital. And it's very easy to use.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

J.J. Blair

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »

I've actually become a very big fan of the Crane Song Phoenix.  Not the same as tape, but goes a long way to de-digitize things.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Tomas Danko

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 06:35:13 AM »

jetbase wrote on Fri, 12 September 2008 00:32

Speaking of "almost analogue" plugs, probably my most used plug in over the years has been Steinberg's Magneto. I wouldn't say that it sounds like any tape machine I've used, or that it "warms up" the sound, but what I love about it is that it brings out midrange detail in mixes in a pleasing way. On individual tracks it can add a tasteful amount of subtle overdrive. One of it's strengths is not that it sounds analogue, but that it doesn't sound digital. And it's very easy to use.

I miss Magneto a lot. I wish I could buy it as a stand-alone plug-in and use in Logic.

It did something awesome to vocals. Put them way up-front and made them sound as if the singer had been working the mic a lot harder than in reality. I have never come across another plug-in that sounds the same.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 11:40:49 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 11 September 2008 22:30

I've actually become a very big fan of the Crane Song Phoenix.  Not the same as tape, but goes a long way to de-digitize things.  

Another happy user of Phoenix here. It just seems to "improve" whatever I use it on.

-Andres

Greg Thompson

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »

for doing what the Phoenix does, I find  that the Massey "Tape Head" plugin starts off where the Phoenix "Dark Essence" leaves off.  ie:  even more crunch/mush.  goes almost all the way to stomp pedal.

In case you are looking for more of that flavor.

Greg

Knastratt

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 02:26:18 AM »

The PSP Vintage warmer is great for drum buss. Adds balls. The Sonalksis suite is gentle (read - analog-like) and is great for adding a few dB's.

Some of the emulations in Focusrite Liquid Mix are usable - especially the API EQ and the SSL master comp.

Be well - P
Pär Hällquist - Trackstop Recording.
One stop track shop.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 05:39:04 PM »

Knastratt wrote on Mon, 15 September 2008 02:26

The PSP Vintage warmer is great for drum buss. Adds balls. The Sonalksis suite is gentle (read - analog-like) and is great for adding a few dB's.

Some of the emulations in Focusrite Liquid Mix are usable - especially the API EQ and the SSL master comp.

Be well - P
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Knastratt

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 03:50:30 AM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Mon, 15 September 2008 23:39

Knastratt wrote on Mon, 15 September 2008 02:26

Be well - P
Pär Hällquist - Trackstop Recording.
One stop track shop.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 06:07:25 AM »

Thanks.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Blas

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »

Another plug for the plug Magneto!  Had another Nuendo guy tell me about it and didn't really put it to play for several months after.  Big mistake...once I did use it, I found all kinds of application.  It's nice to find a good toy in the Cracker Jack box every now and then!

Blas
Conjecture and theory are all well and good...but the proof comes out of the speakers - Fletcher
He who has said the pen is mightier than the sword, has never been in a pen & sword fight!- me

CRonan

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 06:02:41 PM »

EchoBoy

Ryan Slowey

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 09:28:05 AM »

Worth checking out, is the Massey TD5 delay plugin. I've yet to find a software delay that sounds as good and is as fun to use.

Analog? I'd say it comes pretty damn close to my ears, but I don't have too much experience with hardware stuff. I have used the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo and various stompbox analogue delays, and while the Massey doesn't sound 'just like' them in, I'd say it holds its own, and you can definately hear a similar character. It has a nice tape warble in vintage mode, and it'll freakout with feedback like a tape delay if you want it to. It even adds hiss to the signal (not a problem with proper gain staging).

Driving the input knob can dirty things up nicely, if you're after a grittier, tube-drive type of sound.

It also has a "Modern" mode, which gives you a nice clean delayed signal, and eliminates the tape hiss. Much less warble too.

There's also a bit of an "EQ" in the form of a "Dark, Normal, Bright" switch, so you can make further adjustments.

I've had great success with it on just about every possible source. My favorite thing to do lately, is to take a mono sum of a drum kit, and delay it by around 30ms, add some dirt to it in vintage mode, and blend it subtly with the dry drums. Gives the effect of a distant room mic with lots of character. And.. It's spectacular on vocals.

Highly recommended.

Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

danickstr

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »

I was going to listen to the Eiosis air EQ demo but I noticed that it requires a "Syncrosoft dongle" whereas I am using the ilok dongle.  Does this mean I have to buy another dongle?
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 05:33:16 AM »

Does anyone like the Eventide 910?  plug?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up