R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: The thread dedicated to "almost analog" plug ins.  (Read 30950 times)

Nick Sevilla

Re: The thread dedicated to "almost analog" plug ins.
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2009, 06:39:38 PM »

seedyunderbelly.com wrote on Sun, 19 July 2009 20:03

Great digital is better than broken analog

Amen to that!

I use the Waves Classic Collection because of that very problem.

I can mix and remix all day, and not worry about two things :

Broken gear.

High temperatures in the control room.

Cheers,

Nick
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

zmix

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2009, 12:50:57 AM »

Glenn Bucci wrote on Mon, 20 July 2009 20:34

When I interviewed Waves when I did the Waves SSL review for EQ, they told me that they are getting better results with modeling over convolution when it came to EQ's and compressors.

I don't think this quote is accurate.  I measured 35 dB of null between my SSL hardware and the Waves SSL, but about 89dB of null between my hardware and a convolved IR of it.

I am certain that the "better" results they are referring to are only quantified in sales figures...

Kendrix

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »

The UAD stuff has been mentioned many times.

In the way of EQ their 1073 always amazed me for its faithfullness to the target sound.

I just spent some time auditioning the new trident A-range EQ.
The HW unit employs inductors rather than caps to shape the frequency response.  The Great River EQ does the same and produces some of the same character: very solid and smooth.  
No woofiness.

The Trident is just a bit edgy/forward in a good way (somewhat API-ish).
I've never even seen a trident console in person (although we've all heard some of the classic releases produced on it).
However, the smoothness and tone of this one has got me singing the praises of UAD once again (analog-like or not).
Ken Favata

Kendrix

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2009, 10:04:01 AM »

Kendrix wrote on Mon, 30 November 2009 15:59

The UAD stuff has been mentioned many times.

In the way of EQ their 1073 always amazed me for its faithfullness to the target sound.

I just spent some time auditioning the new trident A-range EQ.
The HW unit employs inductors rather than caps to shape the frequency response.  The Great River EQ does the same and produces some of the same character: very solid and smooth.  
No woofiness.

The Trident is just a bit edgy/forward in a good way (somewhat API-ish).
I've never even seen a trident console in person (although we've all heard some of the classic releases produced on it).
However, the smoothness and tone of this one has got me singing the praises of UAD once again (analog-like or not).

To build on the above.. i spent some time last night really critically listening and comparing the Trident to other EQ/Channel strip plugs including various UAD neves and the pultec.

The Trident smokes em all in many areas.

Hard consonants:  These were neither accentuated nor smothered/smeared.
They came through clearly and naturally.  No other insert did this as well as the trident. (Input was male vox via a U195 through a GR NV)

High end: Cymbals:  Cymbals can be hard to de-digitize.  The Trident did this best of all.  It produces a clear, natural full & pleasant crash & a smooth tail.  It was neither dark nor bright.  Even when I boosted the highs it didn't make me wince.

Bass: solid but not at all boomy.  No low/mid haze at all.
Adding a bit of 60hz gave me some of the 1073 low-down flavor and still didn't become woofy/boomy. I got the bass to sit in the mix easily.  

Snare: The 1073 can do to a snare what nothing else does.  However, that Neve bite is certainly not in the input signal to that extent.  OTOH the trident was more natural and EQ boosts were much more pleasant sounding.  This is a case of "whatever works".

Toms: The ringing tails came though very naturally.  I could clearly hear what sounded like a drum skin flexing.  None of the other plugs sounded nearly as clear or natural.  It seems that the frequency and phase relationships come through in tact and maintain their integrity throughout the tail. The trident was a real standout in this regard.  

El guitar: The subtle harmonics of a classic overdriven tone using single coils/class A amp really came through with the Trident in a way none of the other plugs could reproduce.  I heard pleasant details I never heard before.  Nice depth.  On a solo lead the LP filter at 10 or 12K made me smile.

Male vox:  The problematic low-mids were easily dealt with via the HP filter and a slight scoop at 250 leaving a smooth and just slightly forward sound.    Im tempted to say it was API-ish.  Testing the high end boost on vox gave the same results as on cymbals.  It was smooth and not at all harsh or digital sounding.

Inserting a trident an all channels of a mix made my day.
Depth was improved  (in a tranny sort of way).  
No low-mid build up or other artifacts arose.
It may not be analog but it sure didn't sound digital.
The trident adds just enough character / mojo to impart a sonic signature.  It ain't boring.  However, it isn't particularly colored either.  It walks a very fine line in that regard.

I've thought about it and I've got nothing bad to say about this plug.  I am clearly infatuated.  However, I think  this relationship will be long term.

Ken Favata

Fibes

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2009, 02:24:44 PM »

Ken,

I bought the plug, used it on a mix yesterday and found it to be a worthwhie addition to the stable (although I primarily use the Sonalksis, Uad Pultec and select URS plugs ITB).

It appears to act more like an analog eq in the sense that you don't have to add twice as much to get the same results.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2009, 07:44:20 AM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Fri, 12 September 2008 11:35

jetbase wrote on Fri, 12 September 2008 00:32

Speaking of "almost analogue" plugs, probably my most used plug in over the years has been Steinberg's Magneto. I wouldn't say that it sounds like any tape machine I've used, or that it "warms up" the sound, but what I love about it is that it brings out midrange detail in mixes in a pleasing way. On individual tracks it can add a tasteful amount of subtle overdrive. One of it's strengths is not that it sounds analogue, but that it doesn't sound digital. And it's very easy to use.

I miss Magneto a lot. I wish I could buy it as a stand-alone plug-in and use in Logic.

It did something awesome to vocals. Put them way up-front and made them sound as if the singer had been working the mic a lot harder than in reality. I have never come across another plug-in that sounds the same.

I like it too. We track to analog, but if I have to mix a location recording I'll throw it on the kick and snare. Makes a great transient smoother. It also does cool things to acoustic guitars. I believe it's old Spectral Design code, they made some of the only plug-ins that still stand up after 10 years, like Q-Metric. The old standalone version still works on PC but probably not on Mac. There's a more refined version with additional controls but it's only availabe for the AudioCube mastering platform, requires some kind of special internal dongle. Sad
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.