R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The purpose of this forum and forum rules. (READ BEFORE YOU POST.)  (Read 10136 times)

bblackwood

The purpose of this forum and forum rules. (READ BEFORE YOU POST.)
« on: September 03, 2008, 04:50:34 PM »

Charter/Purpose:

To provide a solid database of professional knowledge in regards to recording equipment by application, performance, quality (sonic and build), and overall value. We also hope to eliminate "gear hype", "dealer hype", and "inexperienced user hype". More specifically a dialogue of music industry professionals about real world application of the products discussed. There have been many wonderful forums destroyed by misinformation, inexperienced users, and dealer/manufacturer hype. Hopefully we can create a place where professionals can exchange ideas, real world scenarios and offer each other direction in such a large and diverse marketplace. We all need quality tools and this will be the place to find out how they stand up in the studio, stage and set, while being applied in a context relative to the working professional.

As of now, we approve of both hardware and software reviews especially plug-ins and DAW formats.

Rules and Guidelines- VERY IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

1. Stay on topic 100%. Anything else will be deleted.
2. If you dont USE it, don't post other than questions to those who DO.
3. If you use it but have no experience to compare it to, don't post other than questions to those who DO.
4. Please don't forget that the sound is as important as the technical specs.
5. If you SELL it, don't post. Period.  (If you are a dealer commenting on a product that you do not carry, please make this clear in your post, to avoid accidental deletions.)
6. ZERO tolerance for gear pimping. Google is an amazing tool. If someone wants to buy something they can use it and find a dealer.
7. Prices should only be discussed as a reference point. We all work on budgets so its an important factor to consider, but keep it generalized.
8. Show respect at all times. Heated debates and opinions are welcome- belittling and berating are not.
9. Never quote or paraphrase ANYONE. If you want to reference something, post a link to the ACTUAL statement from the speaker- or even better ask them to come post! Semantics and context can easily go bad.
10. Please no "what compressor for 2 grand" posts. Specific threads about specific gear in specific applications. Is that specific enough...
11. Gear reviews not gear validation. If you bought one, we're not surprised you like it. We need to know WHY and WHAT else you compared it to.
12. If you post audio you MUST post the chain. Period. Samples mean nothing without context. Include the ROOM type please.
13. Please reference the gear in question in the thread title!
14. Please have your real name listed in your profile, as well as information about your level and  involvement in recording.  (See mine, for an example if you need clarification.)
15. Most of all, enjoy the forum, enjoy the gear and participate. We have a chance to create an organized data base of applicable knowledge!

Your Moderators-

J.J. Blair

J.J. was declared a borderline genius, by no less than his mother!  He is a producer, engineer, musician and amateur tech, who occasional has things blow up in his face.  He lives in Hollywood, and owns and operates Fox Force Five Recorders.  He's also a Libra.  Engineering and producing has been his main professional vocation for 14 years.  

Joseph Gauthier

New found untwisted panties mod extraordinaire. Producer, session musician, engineer and VO for 11 years. Owner of WPG productions in Costa Mesa. My dream, and Im not joking, is to announce monster truck ralleys.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

PaulyD

Re: The purpose of this forum...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 01:39:40 AM »

Are users allowed to post questions regarding software as well, such as DAW software, plug-ins, sample editors, etc?

Great idea for a forum, btw. Also, congrats and thanks to both J.J. and Joseph on their roles as PSW moderators.

Thanks,

Paul

JGauthier

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 02:12:16 AM »

PaulyD wrote on Wed, 03 September 2008 22:39

Are users allowed to post questions regarding software as well, such as DAW software, plug-ins, sample editors, etc?

Great idea for a forum, btw. Also, congrats and thanks to both J.J. and Joseph on their roles as PSW moderators.

Thanks,

Paul

As far as J.J. and I are concerned, we are totally cool with software reviews especially plug ins and DAW formats!

Fig

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:03:54 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 03 September 2008 15:50

Charter/Purpose:

To provide a solid database of professional knowledge in regards to recording equipment by application, performance, quality (sonic and build), and overall value.

Does this "equipment" include instruments - like comparing basses or snare drum prefs?

Just curious where the "gear" chain begins, is all.

Looking forward with great anticipation what this forum might become.

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

JGauthier

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:31:51 PM »

Fig wrote on Thu, 04 September 2008 10:03

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 03 September 2008 15:50

Charter/Purpose:

To provide a solid database of professional knowledge in regards to recording equipment by application, performance, quality (sonic and build), and overall value.

Does this "equipment" include instruments - like comparing basses or snare drum prefs?

Just curious where the "gear" chain begins, is all.

Looking forward with great anticipation what this forum might become.

Fig

I would say no to instruments as that may get too convoluted. But I also won't be deleting any threads that have something to offer! Hows that for on the fence!

J.J. Blair

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 05:01:04 PM »

I'm also going to second the "no" on instrument or even soft instrument reviews.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Fig

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 08:20:42 PM »

JGauthier wrote on Thu, 04 September 2008 15:31

as that may get too convoluted.

Ya mean like those fake 'verbs? Evil or Very Mad

Quote:

But I also won't be deleting any threads that have something to offer! Hows that for on the fence!

Teetering, sir.

I always thought a good sound starts with a good source.

What good is the room information or the signal chain (rule/guideline #12 above) if we're recording a lemon source?

No matter.  Just thinking out loud, I guess.  Nevermind.

The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Fletcher

Re: The purpose of this forum and forum rules. (READ BEFORE YOU POST.)
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 06:35:09 AM »

Yeah... a good sound definitely "starts at the source"... but the instrument itself doesn't make the sound, it's a vehicle for the player.

The player/instrument combination is considered the sound source... we're talking about the hardware employed that will capture/transmit/store that source for final storage.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

imdrecordings

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »

I have a quick question.

Are we not allowed to edit our own post?
I was going to edit my post, to make for a more detailed review, but the (EDIT) button is not there.
-Scott S

bblackwood

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:32:14 PM »

imdrecordings wrote on Mon, 08 September 2008 12:24

I have a quick question.

Are we not allowed to edit our own post?
I was going to edit my post, to make for a more detailed review, but the (EDIT) button is not there.

Due to some folks going back and editing/deleting old posts (ruining threads in the process), we've set all forums to a 24-hour edit limit. After that you can either reply to your own post, or, assuming there is a big error that needs editing, contact your moderator.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.