R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK, I'll take the plunge...converters RME ADI-8 Pro  (Read 11450 times)

grantis

OK, I'll take the plunge...converters RME ADI-8 Pro
« on: September 03, 2008, 03:31:24 PM »

Anybody able to write a review on this converter?

RME ADI-8 Pro

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

pete andrews

Re: OK, I'll take the plunge...converters
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »

i have been using one of these units for years and i can say it sounds wonderful to me. I had an apogee trak-2 along side it and i couldn't hear a difference between the 2 (for whatever that's worth). the last full length i finished was mastered by alan douches and he told me he thought the mixes sounded great and asked what converters we had - maybe he was just trying to drum up return business but maybe he heard something there...

-pete

mshilarious

Re: OK, I'll take the plunge...converters
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:31:36 AM »

I have the ADI-8 DS.  I don't use the double speed rates (88.2/96) a whole lot though.  The D/A side is more important to me than the A/D, which I don't use every day.

I like the unit quite well; sometimes I think the analog front-end could be better.  I had the box open once; I forget exactly which opamp it was, but something generic and uninspiring.  I would have liked to see them spend a few more bits there because the actual conversion seems very nice.  I thought about modding that, but while I'm OK with SMT work, rework is a different issue . . . plus I need this box working in the rack, not sitting on my bench.

This replaced an old Alesis AI3 a few years ago; it's waaaay better than that, and better than the conversion in my HD24 (not XR version) too.  I mean night and day with the AI3; that's the kind of comparison that makes one believe in the quality of conversion.  How much better does it get?  Well, there are lower noise units in the higher end, and I suspect if I did more 88.2/96 work, I'd see more of the shortcomings of the RME, provided I could hear that high . . . but the RME's behavior up to 20kHz seems well controlled.

I wish the box could be controlled via software as I don't like getting up to press a bunch of buttons to change rates and clocking and levels.  But that's true of many things, I guess.  I don't know how that could be implemented though; maybe for users of RME cards there could be some sort of secret handshake?

So anyway, the RME is going strong three years on; used a few hours daily.

grantis

Re: OK, I'll take the plunge...converters RME ADI-8 Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:02:51 AM »

I too would agree that RME's converters work well and sound great.  If you want software control, try the Fireface 800.  I think would actually prefer the knobs and buttons, so I'm happy to learn that the ADI-8 is not software controlled. Smile.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

mshilarious

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »

grant richard wrote on Thu, 04 September 2008 10:02

I too would agree that RME's converters work well and sound great.  If you want software control, try the Fireface 800.  I think would actually prefer the knobs and buttons, so I'm happy to learn that the ADI-8 is not software controlled. Smile.

No knobs, just buttons!  Which I imagine digitally control the parameters, directly rather than remotely.

The Fireface has a bunch of stuff I didn't need-preamps, can amp, MIDI, etc.  I already had an ADAT card in my box, no need to rip that out and replace with a firewire card.

It's odd how the dynamic range specs are opposite for the ADI and the Fireface--117dB vs 112dB A/D, but 112dB vs 119dB D/A.  You wouldn't figure they would use anything that different?

IntenseJim

RME ADI-8 Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:27:28 AM »

I am an amateur. I have had one since about 2001.

I run the ADI-8 PRO via lightpipe into a Mac runing Protools LE 5.1 (yep, old but is stable) bypassing a Digi001. I can see people on this board scrambling for the floatation devices & emergency exits now.

I think it sounds good; the only time I question it is when I'm layering multiple harmonically rich tracks: like 5 tracks of overdriven guitars (rhythm and solo),drums, bass, etc.  I think it may be a weak DA.

Lately I'm getting pops and clicks more than I used too. I'll contact RME tech support this week.

Lynx Aurora 8 is a unit I'm strongly considering upgrading too this fall; I'd try it sooner but some major expenses are coming.
If you are not playing in the snow, then you're just not playing.

grantis

Re: RME ADI-8 Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 11:10:21 AM »

IntenseJim wrote on Sat, 20 September 2008 10:27

Lynx Aurora 8 is a unit I'm strongly considering upgrading too this fall; I'd try it sooner but some major expenses are coming.

Hi Jim-Please advise as to why you would consider the Aurora 8 an upgrade as opposed to a cross-grade.

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

IntenseJim

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 11:47:46 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean.

Are you implying the ADI-8 PRO would be equivalent to the Lynx Aurora 8 and would sound different and not better?

They sound good to my ears but I would think that this unit, being about 8 -9 years old, would allow for some improvement and evolution over the course of time for better converters. Bang for the buck I'd subjectively say the ADI-8 PRO is exceptional.

grantis

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 12:16:20 AM »

That's exactly what I meant...or more like...was asking your opinion.  Have you compared the two personally?  I've considered both boxes and was curious if you thought the Aurora 8 would really be and upgrade from the ADI-8 or a cross-grade with a "different" sound.

I hadn't looked much at prices on the ADI-8, but I was under the impression they were roughly $1500, and a new Aurora 8 can be had for $1800.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

IntenseJim

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 02:48:48 PM »

I don't know if they still seel the PRO; I thought only the DS etc but I've not looked into this.

I have never heard the Lynx.

Sam Lord

New ADI-8 QS
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 02:55:18 PM »

Note, the new ADI-8 QS is a totally different beast than the DS or earlier PRO, and has very improved audio circuits.  The TRS analog I/O (instead of flimsy Dsub) and optional MADI are appealing also.  Sorry haven't heard it yet.  FYI No affiliation whatsoever with company here.

IntenseJim

Re: New ADI-8 QS
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 03:36:25 PM »

/\ /\

Thanks, Sam. That what I ass/u/med.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.