R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to The Acid Test!  (Read 18316 times)

bblackwood

Welcome to The Acid Test!
« on: September 03, 2008, 02:47:09 PM »

Let's all welcome J.J. Blair and Joseph Gauthier - our hosts for a new gear review forum. They will be along shortly to tell you more about themselves and what this forum will be about.

Welcome!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

JGauthier

Re: Welcome to The Acid Test!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:46:36 PM »

Great to see everyone is as interested in this new forum as we are! Please check the updated Charter and Rules. Hopefully we can keep things 100% straight and organized!

Thanks!

minkthinking

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 01:20:14 AM »

oh, snap!

Unwinder

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:48:08 AM »

Excellent idea for a forum! I think most will appreciate realistic user reviews of gear, minus the unneeded hype and conjecture.

Cheers,

D.

Bill Mueller

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:06:53 PM »

Hello moderators,

Can someone tell me what was inappropriate enough about the AKG C3000B thread to get it removed? I don't seem to understand what you're looking for here.

Best regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

George_

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 01:42:43 AM »

ohoh.. JJ. blair as moderator.

...  Very Happy

so we are only allowed to talk about vintage gear?

cheers
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

J.J. Blair

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 01:57:54 AM »

Bill, sorry.  This is the first I heard of it.  

Joseph seems to have stopped down as moderator, but what I think I understand is that the specific intention is to keep things on the track of being an archive of useful information, and not just banter about stuff.  Not having seen what was objectionable about that thread, I can't answer your question Bill.  I'm sorry.

Brad, feel free to undelete it, if you can, and I'll sort out what's going on.  

I might do some eventual Klaus'ing of some threads and try to keep things on course, especially as people get the hang of what things should look like in here.  I mean, at a minimum, Klaus would have moved any thread abot a C3000 to "Budget: We Ain't Got No Stinking Budget."

I'm actually leaving it to you guys to do the reviews, and I'm simply the mod.  However, I am going to request that when you guys review or discuss gear, it's at least more useful than your typical Electronic Musician style press release / review, or GS thread.  Don't just say, "Man, I like my Distressor.  These things are the bomb on OHs."

Also, as you guys know, I like to get inside stuff.  Please feel free to say, "I'm really impressed with the components and build quality of ..."  I mean, you've seen me rip manufacturers for using shit components.  Feel free to either approve or disapprove of these things you find.  

Let's see if we can get this thing back on track.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:58:49 AM »

myNameIsGeorge wrote on Sat, 06 September 2008 22:42

so we are only allowed to talk about vintage gear?

cheers

No.  Read the guidelines.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 01:40:56 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 06 September 2008 22:57

I'm actually leaving it to you guys to do the reviews, and I'm simply the mod.  However, I am going to request that when you guys review or discuss gear, it's at least more useful than your typical Electronic Musician style press release / review, or GS thread.  Don't just say, "Man, I like my Distressor.  These things are the bomb on OHs."

I wonder, though, if this forum is really to be a place where "music industry professionals" review gear, perhaps there should be some guidelines as to who qualifies as such.  Experience and expertise are not the same thing.  It would be for JJ to establish the definition, but in my opinion:  

- Earning a few hundred bucks on your own CD doesn't make you a music industry professional.  

- Charging your buddies to record through your M-Box doesn't make you a professional.  

- Having thousands of posts on Whatever Works doesn't make you a professional.  

No offense intended for anyone in particular; certainly not to C. Cash, who seems like a great guy.  I'm just suggesting what I think would make for a better forum.

I can go anywhere for reviews from my peers.  But imagine a resource for reviews from actual professionals without the influence of advertising.  Does such a place yet exist?  

I, for one, would rather have the professionals do the reviewing, and the rest of us can just ask questions.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 05:54:50 PM »

Robert, it's a good point, but I don't feel I should be the one to vet everybody's bonafides before they post.  But it's an interesting idea, so I am going to make it a stipulation that if you post in here, your personal information not only has your real name, but your level of involvement.
studio info

Bill Mueller

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 01:01:31 PM »

Robert Shelton wrote on Sun, 07 September 2008 13:40

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 06 September 2008 22:57

I wonder, though, if this forum is really to be a place where "music industry professionals" review gear, perhaps there should be some guidelines as to who qualifies as such.  Experience and expertise are not the same thing.  It would be for JJ to establish the definition, but in my opinion:  

- Earning a few hundred bucks on your own CD doesn't make you a music industry professional.  

- Charging your buddies to record through your M-Box doesn't make you a professional.  

- Having thousands of posts on Whatever Works doesn't make you a professional.  

No offense intended for anyone in particular; certainly not to C. Cash, who seems like a great guy.  I'm just suggesting what I think would make for a better forum.

I can go anywhere for reviews from my peers.  But imagine a resource for reviews from actual professionals without the influence of advertising.  Does such a place yet exist?  

I, for one, would rather have the professionals do the reviewing, and the rest of us can just ask questions.

Robert,

Apparently 35 years of working at a high level in the industry, 100+ major artists, 25 years of college level teaching experience and a Grammy and TEC Awards nomination does not quite make it.

Best regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

Fletcher

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »

Like JJ, I don't know the specifics of what Bill is talking about... however... a little slack.  This forum has been up for only a few days at this point and there are some bugs that will need to be worked out.

It's not always an easy thing to get a forum off the ground and gain a rythm and direction... there are always a few questions [on everybody's part from participants to moderators]... so I'd suggest y'all read the "charter" and help create a real vibe and feel for the new addition.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

JGauthier

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 05:04:49 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Fri, 05 September 2008 18:06

Hello moderators,

Can someone tell me what was inappropriate enough about the AKG C3000B thread to get it removed? I don't seem to understand what you're looking for here.

Best regards,

Bill

Bill,

That was my inexperience as a mod and I did not realize the thread could be simply moved somewhere appropriate. I apologize if that offended you in some way as it was not my intent. The original poster was fine with the delete as he realized the thread didn't fall under the charter.

Nobody is questioning your knowledge as a professional and I would hope you will take this in context. If you would like to start a thread on the C3000, please do. But again, I would hope you would not take things of this nature so personally and feel free to contribute as you see fit.

Just please no cat photos... I hate cat photos! Very Happy

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 03:42:44 AM »

Hey J  -I heard that!  mieux

-j

poundpit

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »

Hi i'am a new member,this is Good website. Razz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 19 queries.