R/E/P > The Acid Test

Welcome to The Acid Test!

<< < (2/3) > >>

George_:
ohoh.. JJ. blair as moderator.

so we are only allowed to talk about vintage gear?

cheers

J.J. Blair:
Bill, sorry.  This is the first I heard of it.  

Joseph seems to have stopped down as moderator, but what I think I understand is that the specific intention is to keep things on the track of being an archive of useful information, and not just banter about stuff.  Not having seen what was objectionable about that thread, I can't answer your question Bill.  I'm sorry.

Brad, feel free to undelete it, if you can, and I'll sort out what's going on.  

I might do some eventual Klaus'ing of some threads and try to keep things on course, especially as people get the hang of what things should look like in here.  I mean, at a minimum, Klaus would have moved any thread abot a C3000 to "Budget: We Ain't Got No Stinking Budget."

I'm actually leaving it to you guys to do the reviews, and I'm simply the mod.  However, I am going to request that when you guys review or discuss gear, it's at least more useful than your typical Electronic Musician style press release / review, or GS thread.  Don't just say, "Man, I like my Distressor.  These things are the bomb on OHs."

Also, as you guys know, I like to get inside stuff.  Please feel free to say, "I'm really impressed with the components and build quality of ..."  I mean, you've seen me rip manufacturers for using shit components.  Feel free to either approve or disapprove of these things you find.  

Let's see if we can get this thing back on track.

J.J. Blair:
myNameIsGeorge wrote on Sat, 06 September 2008 22:42
so we are only allowed to talk about vintage gear?

cheers

No.  Read the guidelines.  

,:
J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 06 September 2008 22:57

I'm actually leaving it to you guys to do the reviews, and I'm simply the mod.  However, I am going to request that when you guys review or discuss gear, it's at least more useful than your typical Electronic Musician style press release / review, or GS thread.  Don't just say, "Man, I like my Distressor.  These things are the bomb on OHs."

I wonder, though, if this forum is really to be a place where "music industry professionals" review gear, perhaps there should be some guidelines as to who qualifies as such.  Experience and expertise are not the same thing.  It would be for JJ to establish the definition, but in my opinion:  

- Earning a few hundred bucks on your own CD doesn't make you a music industry professional.  

- Charging your buddies to record through your M-Box doesn't make you a professional.  

- Having thousands of posts on Whatever Works doesn't make you a professional.  

No offense intended for anyone in particular; certainly not to C. Cash, who seems like a great guy.  I'm just suggesting what I think would make for a better forum.

I can go anywhere for reviews from my peers.  But imagine a resource for reviews from actual professionals without the influence of advertising.  Does such a place yet exist?  

I, for one, would rather have the professionals do the reviewing, and the rest of us can just ask questions.

J.J. Blair:
Robert, it's a good point, but I don't feel I should be the one to vet everybody's bonafides before they post.  But it's an interesting idea, so I am going to make it a stipulation that if you post in here, your personal information not only has your real name, but your level of involvement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version