R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thompson on McCain  (Read 3217 times)

Andy Peters

Thompson on McCain
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:41:13 PM »

So Thompson rattled off McCain's entire war history, including, in excruciating detail, the time he spent, and how he spent it, in the NV prison camp. In other words, he told how McCain was tortured.

Which is all well and good, but imagine how he could have concluded the speech if McCain had gone down into the well of the Senate and stated flatly, "WE DO NOT TORTURE," and then introduced bills that extended the criminal laws against torture.

But no, McCain did no such thing, so the speech ended with the usual "Obama is the most liberal ..." claptrap. Another "woulda coulda shoulda."

I am also struck by the militaristic tone of the whole thing, especially considering that the Current Occupant has no military experience, and in fact ran away when others chose to serve.

And the convention center looks half empty.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Bill_Urick

Re: Thompson on McCain
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »

So, don't you get Cartoon Network?
Didn't watch the first guys, not gonna watch these guys.
Lois Griffin totally floats my boat.
Hottest cartoon chick on the planet.
WHERE ARE YOUR PRIORITIES DUDE!!!

Smile
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 10:54:35 PM »

Better than Jessica Rabbit?

Where are your priorities, dude?

C.O. Jones

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 11:03:11 PM »

So... reflexive bashing aside... some production value:  I'm wondering why the incessant throat-clearing and why whoever is doing the great impression of  John Boyle-as-Frankenstein's constant bellowing of "eayeeeeeeaoowh" is coming through the audio feed so well.

Jones

Andy Peters

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:44:16 PM »

C.O. Jones wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 20:03

So... reflexive bashing aside... some production value:  I'm wondering why the incessant throat-clearing and why whoever is doing the great impression of  John Boyle-as-Frankenstein's constant bellowing of "eayeeeeeeaoowh" is coming through the audio feed so well.

I cannot let your egregious error stand, Sir!

It was the late PETER Boyle who so famously played the Monster in Mel Brooks' genius "Young Frankenstein."

-a

C.O. Jones

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 12:10:18 AM »

Andy Peters wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 22:44

C.O. Jones wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 20:03

I cannot let your egregious error stand, Sir!

It was the late PETER Boyle who so famously played the Monster in Mel Brooks' genius "Young Frankenstein."

-a

Crap.  You're right.  John Boyle owns a furniture store or something...  Thanks for correcting my error.

Jones

John Ivan

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:13:08 AM »

Yep..

The whole convention will be:

"We are good republicans that will gladly die for nothing, all ya have to do is ask, well, except for the draft dodgers in our ranks.. At least we're not tax and spend liberals!!"

That's their entire argument.. oh, and the Phrase "WIN IN IRAQ".. which is very telling.. The idea that these ass holes frame this mess as a "win-Lose" deal..

Pretty sad stuff.

Ivan....................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Edvaard

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »

If you want to know what is even more sad, that would be the decades-long unholy crap that the "two party system" has dumped upon us for seemingly interminable eons.

Clinton sucked.

Sorry, no two ways about it.

Just because 'they' come up with some unholy mess that is even worse, viz, some idiot-faced jester-for-president, to cover up for Cheney and Rumsfeldt, doesn't mean that it got any substationally worse or better, politically speaking.

I don't like politics.

Wonder why.

Hillary and Kerry held their inkpad out for the rubber stamping of the IraQ war, for Bush (i.e. Cheyney and Rumsfelt) to dip the stamp into.

That is, they voted for approval, ALL of them allowing themselves to be subjected to the "one question" kindergarten routine in the senate, as for determination of hundreds of thousands of human lives.

As long as democrats and republicans hold sway here: to use a movie title as a term; "There Will Be Blood".

Congratulate yourselves on your "ideals" all you like.

OH!, and let's not forget, the term "politics" allows us to avoid anything resembling substance, and just "get to the point", i.e. personal attacks, fodder for good jokes, making one or two guys a good living on the television, etc., as civilization takes a dive.

Sorry, don't let me get in the way of any "Zappa said it, I believe it, that settles it; I'm just as puerile and crude and crass and callous as he ever was, but I look up to his "genius" " acolytes here.

This is where we are going, folks.

Quit complaining, you're having too much fun.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:01:16 AM »

WTF was Fred doing bringing up that McCain dated a stripper while at the Naval Academy?  Seriously?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

C.O. Jones

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 02:16:19 AM »

Edvaard wrote on Wed, 03 September 2008 00:24

...I don't like politics.

Wonder why....

You make excellent points.

But I love politics.  Here's why:

From Cyrus, to M.L. King, and an impressive roster of  towering, pivotal visionaries in-between, the cause of human rights and decent living is advanced by these ideological debates.  Sure, politics is always infused with losers hysterically championing their desire to live at others' expense.  They're barnacles on the hull, slowing, but not stopping those with eyes on the horizon.

Don't disengage.

Jones

Edvaard

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 02:23:55 AM »

So, McCain, in the midst of academy, mistook "naval academy" for "navel academy".

It happens.

So funny.

So "ha , ha, ha, ...."

And all this political crap brings back to life, how many kids, now?

Congratulations Jon Stewart and Frank Zappa!!!!!

Bill_Urick

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 07:42:51 AM »

Could we please get this thread back off topic?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

mgod

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 10:12:01 AM »

C.O. Jones wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 23:16

Sure, politics is always infused with losers hysterically championing their desire to live at others' expense.  They're barnacles on the hull, slowing, but not stopping those with eyes on the horizon.

I agree - its filled with far too many fat-cat greedheads looking for an easy ride on the sweat of those struggling to survive, and the knee-jerk reactionaries who protect the greedy under the rubric of "limited government"; limited until you want it to do something for you, like giving away our airwaves, or allowing you to charge anything you want for medicines designed at publicly funded R&D facilities, or deregulate construction requirements in basic infrastructure. Too many free-market capitalists wanting to ride on streets they don't want to pay for, so they can invest in personal stock portfliios and stash their profits overseas.

I agree completely. We've all had enough of these losers living at our expense.

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Steve Hudson

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 12:54:28 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 03 September 2008 01:01

WTF was Fred doing bringing up that McCain dated a stripper while at the Naval Academy?  Seriously?

And touting McCain's poor discipline record at Annapolis...does all this make him sound more human? Maybe Fred should have also mentioned in his comments Sarah Palin's pot-smoking past (though after her selection I asked myself what McCain had been smoking).
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Andy Peters

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 01:32:31 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 23:01

WTF was Fred doing bringing up that McCain dated a stripper while at the Naval Academy?  Seriously

He's trying to say to a group of old white guys that Johnny Cakes was just bein' a Good Ol' Boy, sowing his oats.

Or something like that.

-a
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 16 queries.