R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New player?  (Read 2853 times)

bblackwood

New player?
« on: June 09, 2004, 10:17:15 AM »

Looks like Merging has released Pyramix Native - will it become new player in the world of mastering?

I've thought for a while that the days of host based machines were coming to an end. When we see companies like merging release Pyramix and Magix releasing Samp/Sequoia (which have already made decent headway in the mastering market), I wonder if we are seeing the beginning of the end for host-based systems (ala Sonic/Sadie) for mastering, where large amounts of DSP aren't required...

Whaddya think?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Gold

Re: New player?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 03:02:37 PM »

I agree that host based systems are on their way out. The Pyramix native wouldn't work for me because it's only 2 in/out. I need at least 4 in/out.

I like samplitude but Sadie is better in many respects. It's an integrated product. The integration of software to hardware is not very good in samp.  Or wavelab when I tried it. I use a lynx2 which is a pretty safe choice. Most sequencers have better integration. I hate having to go to the lynx mixer for some but not other routing functions. I have never been able to get the monitor switching to work as I like. I'm not alone according to the forum. A real PITA and dangerous for feedback loops. Really dangerous if you're feeding a cutterhead... I like to stick to one app for everything I need. I don't think sadie is worth 3x the price of a samp rig but it's still nicer. Samp would benifit from a tighter relationship with lynx and RME.

Jay mentioned he thought a Sonic native would be a big seller. I agree. I've never used Sonic on a daily basis but I would jump ship instantly if it was available and did what I need.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

bblackwood

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 03:09:41 PM »

FWIW, we may have different working needs, but I've never had a single issue with the RME card and Samp. In fact, I'd pay more for a Samp rig than Sadie now...

Call me crazy.

Anyone else?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

jfrigo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 05:32:21 PM »

Quote:

FWIW, we may have different working needs, but I've never had a single issue with the RME card and Samp. In fact, I'd pay more for a Samp rig than Sadie now...

Call me crazy.

Anyone else?

OK, you're crazy... but not for this. Because I'm a 4 point guy I'd substitute Sequoia for Samp, but I have to admit these new tools are quite compelling. As for Sonic (per Paul's post), it now seems less certain that they'll do a native version, though perhaps with Pyramix making exactly the same move we've been suggesting to Sonic for some time, they may be more motivated to move it from a back burner a little closer to the front... Either way, it will probably be a while as they have a couple things ahead of it. I hope it's not too late for them. Adapt or die.

OTR-jkl

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 05:49:03 PM »

Never used Sonic or Sadie so I can't comment on them. I have seen Sonic in action before and, from what I remember, its not a world ahead of Samp in function. It does have cool internal routing of some sort that seemed useful. Really, there's only a handful of things I wish I could do with Samp that I can't now. Other than that, its by far the best app I've ever used...

As far as Seq goes, is 4-pt editing the only real advantage it has over Samp (for mastering purposes)? Also, are they really the same app - sonically? Samp sounds awesome to me. Could Seq be even better...?

Quote:

In fact, I'd pay more for a Samp rig than Sadie now...

Glad I had my copy b4 you said that...
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

mcsnare

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 07:49:09 PM »

I am curious about any new player in the mastering software wars. I like Samp ok, but I have not been able to get it to switch modes on the Lynx mixer sortware automatically. I almost always have to go to the Lynx mixer and change the status to get the desired monitoring. This sucks, big time. I like some things about the editing model, not others. I like the super integrated aproach of Sadie and Sonic, something that is a bit lacking in the native systems I've used, but not worth the extra cost IMHO. Maybe Audio Cube addresses these issues. I wish someone would write something with a great edit model, system integration, and for Mac.
Dave McNair

bblackwood

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 08:49:58 PM »

In all seriousness, the RME works flawlessly, no need to ever open anything else outside of Samp. I have it set to monitor input unless I'm playing back and it works great. Lynx probably needs to work on their drivers more, but the RMEs work perfectly here.

As to the diff between Samp/Sequoia, n V8 they will start to differentiate a little more, but for now it the 4 point editing model, built in DDP, and access to the hi-res plugs like Nova.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.