R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a PSU  (Read 2189 times)

Big Bodum

I need a PSU
« on: September 02, 2008, 01:47:09 AM »

For a DDA Series 5 24/8/2. Recently aquired at a Govt. surplus auction. It needs 18v to the rails(4-5 amps)and 300ma for the phantom. It's about as clean as they come.

The closest cheapest new box I can currently find is the Mackie 8-buss psu. But it comes up short on the current(it's close)for the rails and the phantom.

Isn't it better to overspec the requirements for a psu? I'm under the impression that a strained psu would run hot and also could affect the console's headroom.

What about the rating for the phantom...is it ok to have more ma's than spec'd? I'm thinking the 18v is a must have requirement.

Would a place like Power Up be a good alternative?

Any info would be appreciated,as I need to get this board into the system and out of the living room...

And thank you for supporting the technically challenged.

Ian O'Donnell

Jim Williams

Re: I need a PSU
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:19:43 AM »

18 volts is pushing the rails up against the absolute maximum ratings for the 36 volt opamps used inside. Internal fusing resistors will typically drop it another volt. A pair of 24 volt Power One supplies trimmed down to 17 volts is a good option. Or, you can use a couple of 9 amp 15 volt supplies and trim them up to 16.5 volts. They make a small 1/2 amp 48 volt supply for the phantom power.
Digi Key and Mouser have them.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Big Bodum

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 08:00:29 AM »

Thank you Jim for the reply and info.

Would this model be appropriate adjusted down to 17?

http://www.acopian.com/store/9-(7).aspx?min=18&max=25

Model A18MT650.

mshilarious

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:53:43 AM »

That box is single output; you need +18V and -18V.  And be careful about trimming a PSU further than it is designed; the difference has to be shed as heat in the PSU; 5A * 2V is 10W extra, which could be quite a lot and potentially a problem if the PSU isn't spec'ed for that.

brian

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 07:41:01 PM »

try international power
http://www.internationalpower.com/
under powering your board will cause you to lose headroom, make bass loose and mids undefined/foggy you were right. The board will only draw as much power as it needs. You can get any power supply that is the right requirements and change the plugs either on the board or the supply and use it.
I'm not buying another damn thing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 17 queries.