R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you package your masters?  (Read 2245 times)

jlapointe

How do you package your masters?
« on: August 29, 2008, 04:10:21 PM »

After years of packaging master discs in DVD cases without incident, I've recently had a few come loose inside the case and get scratched in the mail.

How are you packaging your master discs for safe travel to the plant?

- J.

TotalSonic

Re: How do you package your masters?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 06:21:18 PM »

After a master disc that was sent to Australia got scratched from the CD jewel case breaking enroute I switched to using blank digipaks - http://www.discmakers.com/shop/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemID=CD-02 0-00027 - and haven't had a problem in 5 years of using them.  Nice thing with these is that the outside is cardboard so this won't break - and they have an inside pocket that you can place the cue sheet and error report into - plus it's also easy to write on the outside with a sharpie if you wish as well.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

djwaudio

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:10:26 PM »

I'm thinking about this too. I recently bought a best of the Who CD for our son. It came in an environmentally friendly digi-pack. Pretty much the same as a normal digi, but without the plastic tray. The disc is held in by a small piece of foam glued to the center.

Anyone know about these?

I like to have batches of these kinds of things printed with our logo and contact info, though I have been using jewel cases up to this point.
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

TotalSonic

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:47:12 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 22:10

I'm thinking about this too. I recently bought a best of the Who CD for our son. It came in an environmentally friendly digi-pack. Pretty much the same as a normal digi, but without the plastic tray. The disc is held in by a small piece of foam glued to the center.

Anyone know about these?

Oasis has sold these as a packaging option for years under the name "the Soft Spot".  The thing I don't like about these is that it's relatively easy for the foam thingy to fall off, or for the disc to rub against the cardboard below - although most likely this wouldn't cause any issues.

Best regards,
Steve Berson  

OTR-jkl

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:10:41 AM »

Been using these poly boxes from WMSales without known incident. I also put a little sticker across the opening so its obvious to the replicator if the box has been opened before they got it. I put the box in a cardboard sleeve (such as a Priority Mailer) and then package that and all the paperwork in a bubble envelope.

index.php/fa/9811/0/
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

mastertone

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 05:54:55 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 17:21

After a master disc that was sent to Australia got scratched from the CD jewel case breaking enroute I switched to using blank digipaks -  http://www.discmakers.com/shop/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemID=CD-02 0-00027 - and haven't had a problem in 5 years of using them.  Nice thing with these is that the outside is cardboard so this won't break - and they have an inside pocket that you can place the cue sheet and error report into - plus it's also easy to write on the outside with a sharpie if you wish as well.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Hey thats a great idea. Gonna look into it.
I usually im using a dubble or quad Dvd case, but the last batch was terrible, couldnt even close the damn things, they opened up and the disc came loose.
Digipak... I like a clean look like that. Could even print my logo on it. Thanks Steve.
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

djwaudio

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 12:36:20 PM »

Thanks Steve, the Soft Spot is it! If I can figure out a way to print additional info on them it would be a great product. Perhaps I'll hand write project titles.

I have been using pre-printed jewel case inserts. The gloss finish makes them hard to print specific project info on top of. I have to use a laser printer. It looks clean though.

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Viitalahde

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 04:09:04 PM »

I use single DVD cases, which have worked great. Especially, when I put in a Plextools report and an analyze of the disc content. Don't know if it's of any use for the plant since the same TOC is on the cover too, but at least the bunch of paper keeps the disc in place.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 05:58:17 PM »

Maxi Slim CD cases with Scotch padded mailers for domestic use and these http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_5157.asp?desc=Clam+Shell +CD+Cases along with a Scotch Padded mailer for international use. So far no probems.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.