R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Sarah Palin is McLazarus' VP pick  (Read 36961 times)

C.O. Jones

Re: Sarah Palin is McLazarus' VP pick
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 19:42

Paul Cavins wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 17:17

I want someone to tell me why Barrack Obama has more experience to be president than Sarah Palin.

Well, let's just start with the experience of going from being an underpriviledged kid to being the head of Harvard Law Review.

She's got  the experience of going from being the daughter of two schoolteachers to being the Governor of Alaska.

Also, when asked about her opinions on the Iraq war, she said, "I haven't really put much thought into it."

She's been there and she's putting a son into it.  I'd wager she's thought about it.

Maybe she knows how to run the state of Alaska (so far), but he clearly has a better command of not only foreign policy.  He's ben on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee as well as the committee for Homeland Security, and Veterans Affairs.

For 146 days.

When he was a state senator, there he represented more people in his district than there are in the state of Alaska.

Taking courageous stands like "present".

He managed to run a campaign that vanquished the seemingly unbeatable Hillary Clinton, and got more votes in a primary than any other candidate in primary history.

Obama has run a great campaign.  But the media picked Mr. Obama, and beat Ms. Clinton for him.  Hillary's way more qualified to be the Democrat's offering for Chief Executive than Obama.

She was runner up to being Ms. Alaska, was part time mayor of a town of less than 10,000 and has 18 months under her belt as governor of the 4 least populous state in the nation.  Hey, if Ahnuld can be governor or California, I don;t know that being governor for a short period really impresses me that much.  It's a long way from Juneau to Washington.

If a "community organizer" is a proper foundation for Commander-in-Chief, Palin's at-least-as-weighty resume should be a proper grounding for veep.  I think the "expeirence" argument is one the Obama camp will stay on for, oh, 'till about dawn tomorrow.

It looks like this babe is scaring Democrats into losing all enthusiasm for breaking the "Glass Ceiling"

Jones

J.J. Blair

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 09:37:22 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 18:14

I don't doubt Barack's good personal story. Palin went from being a PTA hockey-mom to being governor. That's pretty good, isn't it?

Of ALASKA.  Like I said, if Ahnuld can run California, any PTA mom can run Alaska.

Quote:

He has done next to nothing on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

That's different than not having an understanding.  She has no foreign policy chops at all.

And the achievement of running the campaign and taking the nomination from Hillary, which nobody ever thought possible, is one of the greatest political feats of all time.  She's done nothing close to that.  

But her selection really says more about McCain.  Apparently, he only met her once.  You can't honestly tell me that this selection is nothing more than an attempt to please the religious right and try to pull in disaffected Hillary voters.  It's so transparent, it's not even funny.  If this is the type of thought he puts into matters of this gravity, it's a bad sign.  

You have a guy who is 72, four time Melanoma survivor, picking somebody with next to no political chops, and certainly zero national political chops, to be next in line.  As I said, Juneau is a long way from Washington.  Hell, it's even a long way from Springfield.  I'm from Chicago.  My dad wrote laws that still stand in Illinois.  That's a fucking cut throat place.  Not only is she unlikely capable of dealing with international affairs, I doubt she's ready negotiate with Congress.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

organica

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 09:47:20 PM »

I predict that SP will attract quite a few independent voters . They will feel like there's actually  a choice somehow . Not to mention the vpilf vote that will no doubt prefer her over Biden .

It's an interesting choice ......... I think she does have more time under her skirt as an elected official then BO does . They're both pretty close to equal there , but since BO's running for "prez" , SP's running for "VP"  , in my mind the "experience comparison" ought to be a less talked about topic  soon if BO's team and Democratic Party people in general don't want to look  stupid .

jimlongo

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 09:52:02 PM »

it's just dawned on me that McNasty has decided to pick the most inexperienced person he could possibly find in the United States (well she also had to be pro-life, NRA member, and beauty queen contestant), so that when everyone crows about her inexperience he could finally say, "see, I told you, inexperience is a bad thing, you've all just confirmed it!"

Seriously the republicans can spin this as much as they might try, but this is just a transparent hypocritical attempt to woo Hillary voters, and it is already backfiring.  This will even energize hillary supporters who might have sat it out . . . it's like a slap in the face, he actually thinks just because he puts a vagina on stage we'll vote for him.  It's pathetic.  Did you see Kay Bailey Hutchinson stammer through an interview this morning trying to put a game face on (she must be thrilled that she got passed over), finally had to say, "I really don't know her very well".

Here we have a B.A. from some small college who admits she really hasn't thought much about Iraq, I can see she'll get a lot of respect in meetings with ranking senators and congressional leaders in Washington.  

Oh wait, republicans think that cause she's governor of Alaska she's got experience dealing with the Russian and Canadian menaces on her borders.  

McCain is a high risk poker player  (just what we need in control of the nuclear arsenal).  He's crashed a bunch of jets, and got flunked out of the military for recklessness.  Unfortunately he just went all in trying to draw an inside straight, and is left with nothing.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 09:54:34 PM »

C.O. Jones wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 18:36

She's got  the experience of going from being the daughter of two schoolteachers to being the Governor of Alaska.

One more time: ALASKA.  I don't want to say that it's about as quaint a position as you can get, but it is.

Quote:

She's been there and she's putting a son into it.  I'd wager she's thought about it.

Wrong.  She was in Kuwait, not Iraq, visiting the ANG.  Whether she's thought about it or not isn't want bothers me.  It's her inability to articulate a position on it.  

Quote:

For 146 days.

Regardless, he is clearly years ahead of her on understanding foreign relations and foreign policy.  He's at least seen a dossier or two labeled "top secret."

Quote:

Taking courageous stands like "present".

I know you are from Chicago, but you don't understand how the "present" vote is used in Springfield.  It is a very common vote for lawmakers there.  It has nothing to do with a lack of courage.  

Quote:

Obama has run a great campaign.  But the media picked Mr. Obama, and beat Ms. Clinton for him.  Hillary's way more qualified to be the Democrat's offering for Chief Executive than Obama.

Not quite.  The media picked Howard Dean, and he managed to fuck it up.  they can help, but they can't do it for you.  He ran one of the best primary campaigns and organizations that there ever was.  And anybody inside the beltway will tell  that.  the media might annoint you, but in the end, you have to deal the deal on your own.

Quote:

If a "community organizer" is a proper foundation for Commander-in-Chief, Palin's at-least-as-weighty resume should be a proper grounding for veep.  I think the "expeirence" argument is one the Obama camp will stay on for, oh, 'till about dawn tomorrow.

Actually, working with people on the street level, and getting to know who is being affected by the laws being passed, and how they are, is the perfect starting point for a politician.  Oh yeah, he went to law school and has written laws, etc.  We call the folks on capitol hill "law makers" for a reason.  And if you think intelligence and education are over rated qualities for this job, you haven't been paying attention the last eight years.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Paul Cavins

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »

J.J.--

The media picked Howard Dean? I think you had a minor brain fart. Dean was in the mix the last time around.

Palin has an 18 year old son in the army, who is going to Iraq, btw. I'm sure a thought or two has run through her pretty little head.

PC

Berolzheimer

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 10:52:17 PM »

Please don't forget Obama's 8 years as a state senator.

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

C.O. Jones

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 11:01:13 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 20:54

Quote:

Wrong.  She was in Kuwait, not Iraq, visiting the ANG...

Please pardon my error.  Still the Iraq theater of operations, though, and if the ANG was in Kuwait, I suppose that would be an appropriate place for their Commander-in Chief to visit.

Fatten Palin's resume over Obama's by +1 "Commander-in-Chief" gig.

Jones

J.J. Blair

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 11:03:56 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 19:00

J.J.--

The media picked Howard Dean? I think you had a minor brain fart. Dean was in the mix the last time around.

Palin has an 18 year old son in the army, who is going to Iraq, btw. I'm sure a thought or two has run through her pretty little head.

PC

Wow.

Paul, I'm talking about 2004.  DUH!  How could you infer anything else?  I mean, really...  

Yeah, I know she has an 18 year old being shipped out on Sept. 11, as if that's  a qualification.  And, as I said already, whether or not she has "thought about it" doesn't bother me as much as the fact that she could be one heart beat away from the president can't articulate her thoughts on the war, when asked about it, only coming up with "I haven;t given it much thought."

But the fact that she's an evangelical christian should be enough to want to keep her as far from the office of president as possible.  Haven't grown up in that environment, and knowing their social and political beliefs, the worst possible thing that could ever happen to this country is to let one of them become president, dictate domestic and foreign policy, and appoint another supreme court justice.

And yes, I am prejudiced against evangelicals of her type, with sound basis.
studio info

J.J. Blair

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 11:09:57 PM »

C.O. Jones wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 20:01

Please pardon my error.  Still the Iraq theater of operations, though, and if the ANG was in Kuwait, I suppose that would be an appropriate place for their Commander-in Chief to visit.

Fatten Palin's resume over Obama's by +1 "Commander-in-Chief" gig.

Jones

Nice try, but no cigar.  First off, she is not the "commander in chief" of the ANG.  As governor, she is simply in charge of it.  Their commander in chief is the president, and the decision to deploy them on foreign soil is done at a federal level.  All she really gets to tell them to do is go wipe up oil off the beach when a tanker spills.  She has no say over combat operations, so her role is really nothing more than symbolic.  

Face it.  She's a political feather weight.  You can try to spin that as hard as you want, but it's the reality of the situation.  She's done nothing on a national level, and has never had to prove her self on the national stage.  
studio info

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 11:12:45 PM »

It is a curious choice..

I Do not think she is in the same League as Obama. And thats not the Question The question is Who is a better VP Choice?  Who Would you rather appoint Justices and have the finger on the trigger?  Who would relate to the rest of the world better Biden or Palin?

We already know Obama went to Iraq and Europe and Did ok..  

This is about VP  

It will likely be a good thing for the democrats-  Now many of the folks on the edge and something  "not normal" about this years Deomcrat offering would have shifted them into the old man category.. Perhaps Will see "something funny" about this  and it may level the playing field.  

j

fwiw No matter who wins now the game is open to women on both sides..

cerberus

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 11:47:42 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 20:17

Alright, you fucks, I'll bite. You need a little rightie spice in this discussion.

I want someone to tell me why Barrack Obama has more experience to be president than Sarah Palin.

Just tell me. She is a first term governor, meaning executive experience. He is a first term senator.

If Obama is so great and ready to be president, then why does his resume only equal (if that) Palin's?

Any assault on her experience is one on Obama's isn't it?

Rational thoughts, please.

PC
well for one thing, obama kicked the proverbial dynastic clinton machine's ass
and lives to tell about it. sorta like reagan and gorby, or jfk and kruschev...
but without without the  nukes. impressive, no?  oh, and he's got
working class roots; a self-made man, not a trust fund kid.

what else?  setting up a plan for iraq that the iraquis themselves favored,
and dragging the bush administration into it by it's hair?  just
more proof that you don't wanna mess with barak.

i would call  that a foriegn policy success. very impressive.

or did you mean, what did obama do to try and save the world this week?

well, i suppose obama went to church.  he doesn't just walk the talk;
obama actually attends a church. it isn't your church, but i'm
sure that's going to be ok with everyone. we are not all
the same religion or sect. that is how america is.

i notice that when obama recites the "pledge", he cares enough
to insert "under god";  words that were not originally in
the pledge. see, barak likes you! he shares  your
value system. he cares about you.

(and obama's a natty dresser... i dig his american flag pin.)

mclame does not belong to any institution of godly worship. i understand
that he was a p.o.w. in 'nam; and  that his bravery and heroism
during that time are respected by all.

but that was during the 1960s.  nowadays, senator
mcsame flies to barbeques on his wife's jet (she's
some kind of heiress billionaire). mclamebrain
thinks "working class" means: that your
annual income is slightly under $5mil.
if he's  your guy, then who are you?

i think that mcbillionaire's palin nomination represents an insult to women.
one may s'pose she was all he could get. christine whitman was not
going to be available... and harriet myers might be "busy".

jeff dinces

J.J. Blair

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2008, 02:40:38 AM »

http://www.crasscommerce.com/images/art/apparel/125-McCain-Nope.jpg
studio info

neilio

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2008, 06:05:04 AM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 19:17

Alright, you fucks, I'll bite. You need a little rightie spice in this discussion.

Just tell me. She is a first term governor, meaning executive experience. He is a first term senator.

If Obama is so great and ready to be president, then why does his resume only equal (if that) Palin's?

Any assault on her experience is one on Obama's isn't it?

Rational thoughts, please.

PC

very easy,unwealthy mixed race man, gets into harvard, becomes editor of said review, majors in constitutional law, at said college...

now i know that righties could care less about the constitution, namely because it does not give one the right to be a wealthy robber-baron, but really the jackasses who founded the damn country placed a hefty importance on the document...

Bill_Urick

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2008, 07:55:53 AM »

Interesting points. From reading this thread the biggest impression I have, as always, is the the level of venom coming from the left side of the console.  Smile  

JJ, as an enlightened liberal who stands for equality and dignity for all mankind, don't you think your remarks are a little sexist?

I would expect more rejoicing over a gaff of the magnitude "ya'll" seem to think McCain has committed.

Instead I sense anger and outrage.

The important point here is how the VP selection effects the electability of each presidential candidate.

From this standpoint, Obama has erred and McCain has enhanced his position. More later, have to work today.  
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.