R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do you analyse tracks except for spectrum analysis?  (Read 4283 times)

Roman Younger

how do you analyse tracks except for spectrum analysis?
« on: August 24, 2008, 06:45:39 AM »

Hello, I wonder are there anything how you usually analyse your tracks as well as others?
I mean not just looking at spectrum and RMS, but maybe anything else concerning sound ?
Regards

Viitalahde

Re: how do you analyse tracks except for spectrum analysis?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 07:06:52 AM »

Well, I usually hit play and listen to see if I like it or not. A foot tapping is good, a nodding head is pretty good, too. Both together are really good.

I don't really look at any meters, to tell you the truth..
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

tom eaton

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 07:26:05 AM »

Hairs standing up is very good, though rare.

The only meters I use religiously are two Dorroughs, just level.

tom

Roman Younger

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 07:54:31 AM »

Well, I understood your points of view, sure me too use ears but not eyes hehe, but also it needs to be checked at spectrum.., so looking forward to read exactly about work in that field.

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:56:16 AM »

younger wrote on Sun, 24 August 2008 06:54

Well, I understood your points of view, sure me too use ears but not eyes hehe, but also it needs to be checked at spectrum.., so looking forward to read exactly about work in that field.

You'll find that most experienced mastering engineers use only their ears - I can't readily think of a mastering engineer whose work I've heard that uses anything other than his speakers (and maybe some basic L/R metering).
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Patrik T

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:58:58 AM »

I analyze by ear and fear.

Occasionally I glance at some VU meters in the analogue chain.

The AD input meters are located close to my eq so I can see them flash around in the corner of my eye but I don't care what they actually are trying to show me.

Best Regards
Patrik

Mark Wilder

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 10:50:36 AM »

Most engineers that I know have great confidence in their monitors, their rooms and their processes, so it's easier than it sounds to make good decisions, consistently.

There are a few things that I do to get a consistent album.  As I start my day, I will often put on some music to listen to.  As I set up the room and check my email, I will play something that I've worked on in the past, maybe a similar style of music or previous albums I've done with the same artist.  This is a casual listen only.  I always listen at the same level when I'm mastering.  The only time I change the monitor level is when I am sequencing, since I feel I get a better flow of the music that way.  As I'm working, I will often compare to the songs I've EQ'd before, switching back and forth to have a more consistant sound in the album.  I like to get my levels correct, whether it's overall volume or vocal/lead levels, before I print them. I also listen to almost everything I master after I'm done.  I will rip a reference into my ipod and recheck everything on my next morning commute.  This morning after check allows me to refine my processes for the next record (if any).

I don't find metering to be very helpful.  

Good luck.
Mark Wilder

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »

Harball and a spectrum analyzer.  

I'm kidding...  Ears.  The whole "Foot tapping / head nodding / hair standing" thing is also a plus.  
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

masterhse

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »

An analyzer will show frequency content, but nothing about the context in which the frequencies exist. An analyzer is good for checking equipment but not for "checking music".
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »

I occasionally check Waves PAZ and RMS level at Phase Scoop.
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »

I use VU a lot, since DC hipped me to its use in a 0 VU = -8 dBFSD context.  "Virtually Useless" has become, as he put it, "Very Useful."   No need to have it set to 0 VU = - 14 dBFSD.  CDs would  peg the needle every transient, that way.  But at -8, it almost never pegs and the forte ball park is spot-on for pro masters of this (loud) Era.

Also, I use a DK Audio MSD-100 with the very useful stereo vectorscope.  It's like a LissaJous, but vertical, instead of angular.  Yes, many times the line is off to one side or other, but when you are hearing a passage that sounds like it's supposed to be centered and yet isn't, you can dial in a very thin line of correlation between channels and verify (with ears) that this is correct or not.  For tape reproducer azimuth adjustments, it's super precise and allows for quick work.

Yes, it's just a reassurance, but that's our line, after all.  Reassurance that all is well.

I also use SpectraFoo if something sounds weird and I want demonstrable proof. I tried using it for eq guidance, but I found that I was chasing my own tail.  We aren't trying to generate pink noise, folks.  Mostly, it's for checking the noise floor.  As it is, I can't see how I could possibly benefit from balanced power (in my present setup).  The noise floor of the analog chain is well below the quietest signal I am concerned about.  The chassis and some circuits are grounded to the cold water pipe via copper bus bar and solid core 12 AWG copper wire.  Pin 1 is also lifted on each input that doesn't specify not to (float it).

Andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Mickey Tee

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »

Lol @ foot tapping and head nodding

If you want to have a really detailed look at a sound, or a series of sounds, Adobe Audition has a very good sonogram, which gives you a "true" picture of sound over time. As you say, if your sound has a very pronounced attack but less defined body then the spectral analyser won't tell you anything really about the body.

Plus Audition has a really nice analyser too.

For another look, try izotope Ozone - there's a nice manual which explains how one of their "lines" on the screen of the application will give you an idea of how well balanced your track is in comparison to some "industry standard" measurement regarding production (ie if it sounds as "bright" as commercial releases over the last 10 years etc).

However, as basically everyone is saying here, how something looks and how something sounds are incredibly different things, ymmv, though i think it's very useful to be able to check things with your eyes personally and learn about, for example, what 400hz sounds like Smile

Mickey

Patrik T

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 05:32:38 PM »

Andrew Hamilton wrote on Mon, 25 August 2008 18:15

We aren't trying to generate pink noise, folks.

One of the best descriptions ever, really!

Best Regards
Patrik

Roman Younger

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 01:59:36 PM »

thank you very much for all your advices !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 22 queries.