R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: House drum kits?  (Read 8601 times)

meverylame

House drum kits?
« on: June 08, 2004, 11:42:17 AM »

Here's a fun one...

Do you guys have house drum kits? If so which one and what kind of heads, cymbals, snare, etc.? Do you allow for drummers to bring in their kits even?

Enjoy
Jason
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

weihfool

Re: House drum kits?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 02:22:01 PM »

I "sort of" have a house kit.  The drummer in my band leaves his kit setup.  If the band doesn't want to bring their drummer's kit, then my drummer's kit is available for a small fee.  Basically, I charge half the price of reheading the kit (batter side only) to use it.  Most guys I've found want to use their own kits for their own sound.  However, I will be setting up a house kit soon which will be an old Tama Superstar with whatever heads suit the project.  If it's something quick, I'll probably just put either pinstripes or Evans Hydraulics on it.  Supposedly the new hydraulics are a vast improvement over the originals.  

Oh, and the current kit (my drummer's kit) is a combination of Ludwig Classic and Super Classic drums with Evans J1's which sound GREAT for an open drum sound.  

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 02:57:07 PM »

i don't own a tracking room

but i have a good friend that is a collector

he has a rotating door of anywhere from 5 to 15 kits at any one given time

over the 3 years i've actively been renting his kits, he only still has 2 that have not been sold

one of which i told him he couldn't sell, the other he loves and plays in his band

he has two double sided cymbal tree racks full of cool cymbals, and easily 25 snare drums

some he won't rent to anyone.....

if a band is in need of a kit, or multiple kits for various sounds......he's the man

he knows drums, their sounds, their vintage, and what snare drums to put with em better then anyone i've delt with

i've played since i was a wee lad.....and whether or not i'm any good at playing them, i am pretty good at tuning them

i get the kits from him, tune em up.....and we're rocking

my favorite kit i've played of his was a mid 70's green satin flame grestch......it just makes you play to it.....you can try to play what you want, but that kit just makes you do what it wants.....

meverylame

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 03:08:21 PM »

I used to work in a drum shop about 2 years ago, and some guy came in and traded in a Bearing Edge kit. I was a gretsch (which coincidentally was a transparent red from the mid seventies) guy for a long time, but no more. I've never played a more fun kit.

Anyway. As far as heads I usually stick ambassador coated, or clear Evans G2s on the toms. I swear by an aquarian superkick II.
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 05:10:33 PM »

i play a custom built kit from a shop here in KC called Kansas City Drumworks

best sounding kit i've heard or played

i've owned it since i was 13 (and i mowed a tons of yards to get it)

the toms have incredible tone, but they pretty demand a pin stripe head.....i've tried everything and they just don't sing without the pinstripe.....hey, whatever works

my kick will cut you off at the knees and whatever head you use just fine tunes the tone.....

i play 13"x7" snare drums that have been described (by fellow drummer friends) as "a snare drum built for the j.hall drumming style and sound".....

i have a 6 lug snare and an 8 lug

the 8 lug is much faster and easier to control

the 6 lug as a nice overtone that i'll use when i want some ring, but typically is my backup

i've thought about selling it a million times and i'll change the heads and fall in love all over again

spankenstein

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 05:41:02 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 08 June 2004 16:10

i play a custom built kit from a shop here in KC called Kansas City Drumworks

best sounding kit i've heard or played

My drummer has a KC Drumworks kit as well. It sounds really good but the kick and floor toms are a little small for my taste. It also came with a piccolo snare but uses an old Ludwig instead.

I don't know if they are worth what they cost but the C&C kits sound really good as well.

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 05:53:42 PM »

the new C&C vista lite kits are amazing

bill hand tunes them himself

which basically means he gets a formed piece of plastic, puts lugs on it and starts shaving off depth as he sees fit till he's happy with the tone

that must take some time

your drummer must have one of the mid 90's drumworks kits when they were playing around with the smaller kicks......

i have the second kit they ever built......it's old skool baby.

spankenstein

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 10:34:35 AM »

That's probably about the timeframe that this kit was made. It's still one of my favorite sounding kits! Maybe it's because I've tuned it and heard it for a couple years but I think it sounds really good. The floor tom could be bigger as well as the kick but it's not a big problem.

I have been kicking around the idea of a "studio" kit. I had one kit come through that I honestly didn't think was going to work. He flipped the kick around because the head was busted so he was playing on the front head with a hole. None of the rest of the kit was from the same manufacturer the cybals were hanging on for dear life... It didn't end up sounding too bad for the style (punk) and it helped that while mixing they just kept wanting more and more guitar.

drummertom

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 05:13:32 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 08 June 2004 14:57

my favorite kit i've played of his was a mid 70's green satin flame grestch......it just makes you play to it.....you can try to play what you want, but that kit just makes you do what it wants.....

That's great!  I have a couple of kits like that.  One is a '68 Ludwig Downbeat in Champagne Sparkle (20, 12, 14 with matching 4x14 snare).  I get an "attitude" every time I sit down to play them.

I leave my 80's Tama Artstar's at my friend's studio as a house kit.  Those drums are easy to tune and stay in tune.

drumsound

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 04:56:54 AM »

My drums are at the studio and get used quite a bit.  It's a great sounding 14 year old Gretsch.  I've got about eight snares and three bags of cymbals.  The drummers I hire usually use it.  If a young band is coming in and they have crappy drums, I tell them to leave them at home and play mine.  If the "have to' have their drums. I'm fine with that too.  I've recorded some really nice sounding drums.  It's really in the hands of the player anyway...

j.hall

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 10:23:27 AM »

drumsound wrote on Thu, 10 June 2004 03:56

It's really in the hands of the player anyway...

that's true to a certain extent

i'd say probably 60% of the sound is derived from the way the drummer "attacks" the kit

the other 40% is the kit....and i'm no neil pert, but i've played kits i just can't get to do anythig but suck

i've told some drummers to get their bearing edges re-cut.....they look at me like deer in head lights

man.....some guys just amaze me at their overall ignorance for the instrument they claim to play.

Fibes

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 11:34:12 AM »

Blue Sparkle Fibes baby...

index.php/fa/100/0/
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

weihfool

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 06:16:22 PM »

Hey Kevin,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what mic is that sitting in front of the kick?  

btw, beautiful kit.

Fibes

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 09:44:47 AM »

weihfool wrote on Thu, 10 June 2004 18:16

Hey Kevin,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what mic is that sitting in front of the kick?  

btw, beautiful kit.

AKG D-25. When it works it works, when it doesn't hell i dunno...

J. actually mixed this quickie session. I still haven't heard finals. heh heh.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

j.hall

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 10:26:49 AM »

you don't want to hear finals......

i ran a transfer function in the control room i did it in, after i mixed that EP

great googly moogly......it's no wonder B-rad kept telling me to change rooms

anyway, the finals aren't bad, just not much below 150.....unless you listen in that control room

redelephant

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 02:53:55 PM »

I have heard a lot of good things about Kansas City Drums. I have searched the net and I can't find a site that tells anything about their prices or finishes. Is there anyway to see what they have going for them? I am interested in getting a custom kit with a 24x14 kick and a 18x16 floor.

spankenstein

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 02:57:38 PM »

redelephant wrote on Fri, 11 June 2004 13:53

I have heard a lot of good things about Kansas City Drums. I have searched the net and I can't find a site that tells anything about their prices or finishes. Is there anyway to see what they have going for them? I am interested in getting a custom kit with a 24x14 kick and a 18x16 floor.

KC DrumWorks is gone.

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 03:22:29 PM »

not true

KC drumworks is alive, in the same building it was in, and building kits

Herb would be glad to build that kit for you

i'll track down a phone number for you.

spankenstein

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 03:41:32 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 11 June 2004 14:22

not true

KC drumworks is alive, in the same building it was in, and building kits

Herb would be glad to build that kit for you

i'll track down a phone number for you.

Is this recent. I had always been told that they were out of businesS?

j.hall

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 03:56:09 PM »

building kits for the past year i believe

spankenstein

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2004, 04:43:09 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 11 June 2004 14:56

building kits for the past year i believe

Yes! I know a some people that will be happy about that!

j.hall

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2004, 05:02:59 PM »

herb works at explorer's and can be contacted their

i don't have the drumworks number on me

but he told me he's up and running and building kits....and that was a long time ago.

spankenstein

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2004, 05:06:17 PM »

http://www.kansascitydrumcompany.com/about.html

I noticed the shop on the way to the Brick a couple weeks ago. Didn't put them together.

judah

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2004, 02:58:40 AM »

meverylame wrote on Tue, 08 June 2004 17:42

Here's a fun one...

Do you guys have house drum kits? If so which one and what kind of heads, cymbals, snare, etc.? Do you allow for drummers to bring in their kits even?

Enjoy
Jason

Hi,
I do have a house drum kit in my studio. It is a Mapex Prom M drum kit. Fusion measures (much easier to tune). I got for less than 600
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

hooligan

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2004, 11:25:00 PM »

Hi.  My studio has a '64 Slingerland kit (22 Kick, 12,13,16 toms) in champagne sparkle and a Premiere 14 by 5 1/2 maple snare.  I'm not a drummer but I've gotten pretty good at tuning.  I'll use different heads depending on what sound I want, but lean toward coated ambassadors on the toms, Aquarian on the kick, and control sound on the snare.  My kit gets used occasionally, and I really like it for anything of a classic rock vibe, but most bands want to use their own kit.  All in all, though, I'm finding that cheap cymbals cause far more problems for my recordings than cheap drum kits.  The cheaper Yamaha, Pearl, etc, are WAY better than they were say 10 years ago (granted, still not as good as a really great kit), and after we spend some time tuning I'm usually able to get sounds I'm happy with....assuming the drummer knows how to get good tone, etc.  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 19 queries.