R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 002 conversion  (Read 10131 times)

brett

Re: 002 conversion
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 04:04:01 AM »

C.Cash wrote on Tue, 26 August 2008 18:42

Thank you Marcel, thats what I was looking for.
So, I would think that a 16x16 would do me well.

Thanks.

OOf, maybe an 8x8, just looked at the prices.
BTW, was looking at the Rosetta 8oo and the site says its for PT HD, will it work for LE?

the rosetta 800 is HD compatible when using the x-digi-hd option card from apogee. this lets it connect directly to the HD core or process card as if it were a digi interface.

the only way to connect to an 002 is via adat as I do not believe the 002 has AES ports.

brett

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 04:04:09 AM »

Thanks.

BTW, was looking at the Rosetta 8oo and the site says its for PT HD, will it work for LE?

the rosetta 800 is HD compatible when using the x-digi-hd option card from apogee. this lets it connect directly to the HD core or process card as if it were a digi interface.

the only way to connect to an 002 is via adat as I do not believe the 002 has AES ports.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 10:35:05 AM »

brett wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 03:04

Thanks.

True, the 002 only has SPDIF and ADAT Lightpipe digital I/O, both limited to 44/16 or 48/16 operation. But at least you'll get much improved conversion with the Apogee.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

marcel

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 10:38:37 AM »

Does the 002 accept a BNC wordclock signal?  I'd be leery of using ADAT lightpipe without a separate clock...

You can do it, but I wouldn't want to.
Best, Marcel

grantis

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 06:19:13 PM »

marcel wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 09:38

Does the 002 accept a BNC wordclock signal?  I'd be leery of using ADAT lightpipe without a separate clock...

Nooooooooo.  It cannot.  ANOTHER one of the intentional limitations of the premier LE interface.  I'm guessing...so there's another reason to get HD.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

brett

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 01:35:45 AM »

grant richard wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 23:19

Nooooooooo.  It cannot.  ANOTHER one of the intentional limitations of the premier LE interface.  I'm guessing...so there's another reason to get HD.

if you do not have the money for hd right now, m-audio has some PTLE solutions that might interface better with the apogee. I do know a producer who used an 001 with adat to the rosetta 800. his stuff sounded good. doesn't lightpipe send the clock with the data? I think just the two devices should be find. though wordclock really begins to make a difference when using multiple devices...

grantis

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 02:17:28 AM »

brett wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 00:35

if you do not have the money for hd right now, m-audio has some PTLE solutions that might interface better with the apogee. I do know a producer who used an 001 with adat to the rosetta 800. his stuff sounded good. doesn't lightpipe send the clock with the data? I think just the two devices should be find. though wordclock really begins to make a difference when using multiple devices...

Yes, the clock does transfer via ADAT along with 8 channels of digital audio.

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

marcel

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 12:37:18 PM »

brett wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 22:35

Yeah, I have a thing called a Profire Lightbridge made by M-audio.  It's cheap (in both senses) and has few features, but it allows me to run 2 Rosetta 800s into PT M-powered via ADAT, with a proper clock via BNC.  Music Production Toolkit and a fast computer, it's a pretty usable rig.

You can send clock over lightpipe, but it's apparently very prone to jitter this way.
Best, Marcel

mixwell

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 02:38:20 PM »

marcel wrote on Wed, 27 August 2008 23:53

I dunno, Adam.  If you had a stereo pair with one side on the interface and the other on the converters, it could get weird.

Other than that, phase relationships on a multi-mic drum kit are continuously variable anyways, with mic choice and placement, preamp choice, EQ and/or dynamics.  All of these things have some degree of phase shift inherent in them.  Adding another factor to this is not ideal, but I think you would unconsciously account for it while dialling in the sounds, no?

Phase Shift is the enemy Marcel, I would never send drum mikes through two AD converters......never.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 04:29:15 PM »

mixwell wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 19:38

marcel wrote on Wed, 27 August 2008 23:53

I dunno, Adam.  If you had a stereo pair with one side on the interface and the other on the converters, it could get weird.

Other than that, phase relationships on a multi-mic drum kit are continuously variable anyways, with mic choice and placement, preamp choice, EQ and/or dynamics.  All of these things have some degree of phase shift inherent in them.  Adding another factor to this is not ideal, but I think you would unconsciously account for it while dialling in the sounds, no?

Phase Shift is the enemy Marcel, I would never send drum mikes through two AD converters......never.

That would mean you're aiming more than eight microphones towards the kit. If that's how to float one's boat then ok, but...

As long as you don't spread the drum kit across the converters I think you'll be just fine.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

johnR

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 09:04:12 AM »

Strictly speaking, you're doing just that if you use more than two channels for drums. The standard pro audio converter chips used in most interfaces have two channels. A 16 channel interface has 8 of them. OK, they're running off the same clock, but that's also the case when running several interfaces from a common master clock.

Running a stereo pair through two different types of converter would most likely cause phase problems due to the different amounts of conversion latency (not an issue where all converters are the same type).

Similarly, splitting a stereo pair across an interface running on internal clock and another one slaved to that can also give phase problems because the slave interface is likely to receive its clock signal slightly later than the ADCs in the master interface.

mixwell

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 02:37:24 PM »

johnR wrote on Sat, 30 August 2008 08:04

Strictly speaking, you're doing just that if you use more than two channels for drums. The standard pro audio converter chips used in most interfaces have two channels. A 16 channel interface has 8 of them. OK, they're running off the same clock, but that's also the case when running several interfaces from a common master clock.

Running a stereo pair through two different types of converter would most likely cause phase problems due to the different amounts of conversion latency (not an issue where all converters are the same type).

Similarly, splitting a stereo pair across an interface running on internal clock and another one slaved to that can also give phase problems because the slave interface is likely to receive its clock signal slightly later than the ADCs in the master interface.

EDIT :
Quote:

Phase Shift is the enemy Marcel, I would never send drum mikes through two DIFFERENT BRANDS OF AD converters......never.

marcel

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 01:30:32 AM »

mixwell wrote on Sat, 30 August 2008 11:37

EDIT :
Quote:

Phase Shift is the enemy Marcel, I would never send drum mikes through two DIFFERENT BRANDS OF AD converters......never.

Yeah, totally with you there.  I thought you were talking about 2 similar units.
Best, Marcel

Datcha

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 01:28:49 PM »

can I just add that IME the polarity of the DA converters of the 002 reverses when working in low latency mode.

It jumps back to normal when switched off.

And I've never been able to get the ADAT connected external AD/DA's (in my case RME) work reliably in Low 'w8&see' Mode.

Frank Duch
Cheers,

FD

Podgorny

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 05:48:14 PM »

Can't really speak for the 002, as I've never recorded anything with one.
But the 003's converters are quite usable, IMHO.  And the thing DOES have Wordclock connections.

Regarding the claim that the 002s inability to record 16 simultaneous tracks at higher sample rates was an intentional limitation, please keep in mind that the ADAT format technically does not support sample rates above 48k.

And about the usage of different converters on phase-critical material.  The latency introduced by converters is DELAY.  This is different from phase issues resulting from improper mic placement, and unlike true phase problems can be corrected after the fact.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 19 queries.