R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 002 conversion  (Read 10132 times)

C.Cash

002 conversion
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:04:31 PM »

I have been reading these threads about converters/clocks summing box's/amps/mixers....
Im sorry but I am lost.
I have read numerous times that the 002 converters are garbage at best, so I want to convert to better converters.
I mostly record track by track,seldom a live situation but I want to have the option because it does happen. I want to eventually have as much outboard processing as possible,EQ's,compressors.....
What should I do?

Thanks,

Clifford.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

mixwell

Re: 002 conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 04:47:43 PM »

The Lynx Aurora 8 is a great way to go, you'll have to outfit the unit with the LT-ADAT card for use with you're 002 ADAT I/O.

Another option would be Apogee Rosetta 800, which comes standard with the ADAT I/O, so there would be no need for additional option cards. These converters are only line level inputs and outputs, as there are no mic pres or headphone outs, so if you want the "all in one" type unit, my best recommendation would be the Ensemble in Stand alone mode using the ADAT I/O strapped onto the 002 so as to completely BYPASS its conversion and analog electronics.

C.Cash

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 04:58:53 PM »

I am using API pres and have the Furman headphone system, and a nice patchbay system........

I guess I dont want the "all in one".?

mixwell

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:24:35 PM »

I guess it would then be good idea to shoot these converters out against each other, so as to make an educated choice about the purchase, when its in play with your system and your music.  

The Lynx is ruler flat, has colorless response and great imaging.
The Apogee Rosetta 800 is more musical, [to my ears] has a bigger bottom octave, and certainly more harmonic LOVE to its response.

You also get the Soft Limit [which is useful for tracking without going over in digital death land] So, when all is said and done, the Apogee has more features, but the Lynx may sound better [to your ears] [crap-shoot-really] Its a very good shootout, I-M-E.

Anyway you slice it, these converters are LIGHT YEARS beyond the electronics in the shitty-design gear.  

C.Cash

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:38:28 AM »

Thanks.

So after I make this choice, how many actual A/D and D/A's do I need? Do I really need 16 at both ends or will 2 work? This is my main dilemma.

Thanks.

amorris

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:51:56 AM »

garbage! when they were new, my buddy with the 002 and a 8ch apogee rosetta A/B'd a cd from the control24 and it was eye opening. the 002 was truly lifeless. the apogee sounded great. it was a similar effect as going from live transfer to cassette tape playback. thats what it reminded me of. and yes I am that old.

C.Cash

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:10:44 AM »

I don't need to be convinced of Digis lacking in their converters, I already have a good idea of the brand converter that I am getting. What I want to know is with my setup and what I am doing, how many channels in and out do I need?

Thanks,

CC.

marcel

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 01:03:25 PM »

Clifford:

If you want to do a full band (ever!) you will probably need 16 inputs, unless you're willing to bus stuff down to a few tracks like the old days.  Takes a lot of work and practise, but it can be done.  If you're willing to do that, I'd say 8 inputs would suffice.

If the most you ever record is a drum kit, you can probably get by with 8 inputs track-for-track.

The number of outputs is up to you.  If you are mixing ITB, 4 is probably the minimum (you'll need at least 1 cue pair, right?). Anything beyond that is up to you...

Clear as mud?
Best, Marcel

C.Cash

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 01:42:19 PM »

Thank you Marcel, thats what I was looking for.
So, I would think that a 16x16 would do me well.

Thanks.

OOf, maybe an 8x8, just looked at the prices.
BTW, was looking at the Rosetta 8oo and the site says its for PT HD, will it work for LE?

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 02:49:04 PM »

Cliff, call me.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »

Cliff, be sure you understand the limitations of the 002 regarding sample rates; you can jury-rig a system to do up to 18 inputs at 44/16 or 48/16 but if you want to record at 88/24 or 96/24 you'll only be able to record eight tracks at a time. This was a very intentional limitation set by Digi to keep LE systems from cannibalizing demand for HD systems (whose I/O limitations are only constrained by the number of process cards and interfaces you have).
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

C.Cash

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 07:52:14 AM »

Thanks guys!

mixwell

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »

This thread has been really productive, so I hate to throw out the bag of flaming poo....

But I just want you guys to be aware of recording phase related audio signals [example Snare Drum, and Overheads] through two separate brands of AD conversion.

The Latency of one converter brand might be [for sure] different from another brand, so...this Latency between converters can drastically change the phase relationship of your microphones, should you decide to use the Kick Drum Mike through the Digi AD, and one of the Overhead Mikes through the Added Converter Chassis. The latency might not even be a sample or two, but thats enough to cause a phase shift, and enough to remove your kick drum from the picture.

Bottom line, you can use different converters for tracking but you must be aware: if you're miking up every bell, whistle, chime and triangle, they had better be going through the same clock and conversion. Overdubbing is NO problem and even recording amp land [through one set of AD's] miles away from drum land [though another set of AD's] its not a problem, why.....Because of BLEED! If there is no bleed, there's no problem. Overdubbing has no issue using separate converters, just make sure you're converters are locked and in sync.

marcel

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 12:53:31 AM »

I dunno, Adam.  If you had a stereo pair with one side on the interface and the other on the converters, it could get weird.

Other than that, phase relationships on a multi-mic drum kit are continuously variable anyways, with mic choice and placement, preamp choice, EQ and/or dynamics.  All of these things have some degree of phase shift inherent in them.  Adding another factor to this is not ideal, but I think you would unconsciously account for it while dialling in the sounds, no?
Best, Marcel

brett

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 04:03:24 AM »

C.Cash wrote on Tue, 26 August 2008 18:42

Thank you Marcel, thats what I was looking for.
So, I would think that a 16x16 would do me well.

Thanks.

OOf, maybe an 8x8, just looked at the prices.
BTW, was looking at the Rosetta 8oo and the site says its for PT HD, will it work for LE?

the rosetta 800 is HD compatible when using the x-digi-hd option card from apogee. this lets it connect directly to the HD core or process card as if it were a digi interface.

the only way to connect to an 002 is via adat as I do not believe the 002 has AES ports.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 19 queries.