R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with Audio CD played on DVD Player  (Read 2279 times)

twelfthandvine

Issues with Audio CD played on DVD Player
« on: August 22, 2008, 02:42:04 AM »

Hi all ...

Last week I did an audio only CD with 'hard cuts'/splices/ crossfades (whatever you choose to call it) between most tracks (ie no pauses).  Nothing unusual in terms of track assembly, pretty standard stuff.

Client was very happy, Ref CD checked OK in Plextools and the CD plays just as it should in all CD players used.  

Client incidentally mentions that this CD ... and all others that he owns where there are no pauses between tracks ... plays but kind of 'skips the crossfades' when played in a couple of DVD players (ie not CD players and not all DVD players).  

Client has no issues but I am most curious to understand why this is so.

All the information I have suggests that when a disk is inserted into a DVD player it determines whether it is a CD or DVD and then uses its intelligent twin laser system (or refocuses its laser depending upon the player) to play the relevant media.

I also understand it to be the case that although some audio processing circuitry is shared, the basic requirements of CD and DVD compatibility are accommodated separately within the DVD player chassis, correct?

So, you'd kind of expect a CD that tests and plays OK in a CD player to play in all DVD players would you not?

Any ideas what would be the cause of this issue?  

Kind regards,

Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Adam Dempsey

Re: Issues with Audio CD played on DVD Player
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:06:03 AM »

Is it a CD or a CD-R that your client is playing?
Although if it's also happening with all other discs he's tried could it be muting during pause intervals (between Index 0 and 1)? Some CD-R duplicating machines/towers mute this.
Quote:

you'd kind of expect a CD that tests and plays OK in a CD player to play in all DVD players would you not?

If it's CD-R I'd assume nothing.
Adam Dempsey
Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Add presence, or subtract absence?

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:50:39 AM »

A similar thing happened to one of my clients. He can play the burned listening copy of the CD I did for him on all CD players, on most DVD players but he just bought a new DVD player and it will NOT play on that player at all. I told him to take it back and get a different DVD player. I have to assume that NOT all DVD players are created equal and even though the literature says they will play CDs not all of them will play burned CDs.

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Adam Dempsey

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:26:40 AM »

Not all of any disc playback device will play CD-R's. That's always been the case.
Adam Dempsey
Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Add presence, or subtract absence?

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 08:07:17 AM »

Adam Dempsey wrote on Fri, 22 August 2008 06:26

Not all of any disc playback device will play CD-R's. That's always been the case.

I don't think the fact that it's a CD-R has anything to do with it. DVD players are notorious for being 'out of spec' when it comes to redbook playback - I wouldn't doubt for a second that this is one of them (especially considering it does this with all his discs)...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »

From the very beginning there have been DVD players that can't play CD-Rs. Only Pioneers would of the first generation.

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 01:08:29 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Fri, 22 August 2008 11:45

Only Pioneers would of the first generation.

Yeah 6-8 years back I remember going into our local electronic superstore with a CD-R master I'd just burned, the Pioneer DV-333 was the only one that would reliably play it... so I bought one to use as a DVD player.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

twelfthandvine

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 07:48:51 PM »

Thank you all very much for your replies.

Yes, the relevant media is a CD-R.  I note your comments in relation to the fact that this in itself could be the issue.  But, it also apparently displays the same behavior with certain commercially released disks as well.

So, basically, your replies have also confirmed my suspicion that not all DVD players are created equal and that in this case it is probably a DVD player that has an issue with being 'out of spec'.

Kind regards,

Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.