R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Valley People Gatex issues.  (Read 2830 times)

Invisible Member

Valley People Gatex issues.
« on: June 07, 2004, 11:25:05 AM »

Greetings Mr Klett,

I have 2 issues and would like some advice please.

1st Issue:
I recently purchased a used Gatex quad for cheap and I plugged it in and spent about 20 minutes trying to use it on a noisy amp. Im not familiar with this unit but it seems that the gates should not click or pop when opening. There is no attack on these so I imagine its for percussion.

Is it worth fixing if broken? Ive seen places that Mod these for around $125, opamp problems?

2nd Issue:
After 20 minutes the fuse blew. It had a 250V 1/4 fuse.
Is this the right fuse? I know sometimes people have used a higher rated fuse for power up while masking bigger issues.

I appreciate your advice.

Peace,
Dennis

Invisible Member

Re: Valley People Gatex issues.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 09:51:54 AM »

Bump

John Klett

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 02:45:23 PM »

Hi

I don't think I have ever had to open a Gatex.  

They shouldn't snap or pop on their own when opening.

The attack is very fast and depending on what is opening the gate that attack can essentially form a nice pop out of the rise time of the envelope of the program material.  

Roger Mayer RM68 noise gates were primarily designed for drums and percussion and they would make an audible pop with some things.  This could be similar

If the Gatex has key inputs (I can't remember) use that to open and close the gate with no program material present at the input.  Monitor the output while it is keyed open and closed.  If It snaps that way you probably have some DC somewhere - like from a leaky cap or from an offset that needs to be trimmed out.

As to the fuse blowing - 1/4 Amp - hmmm  that sounds like a problem - is there any indication on the back of the unit what the fuse is supposed to be and whether or not it is fast blow or slow blow?

How much does one invest in a Gatex...  I don't know
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

Invisible Member

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 09:38:06 AM »

Thanks John.  

Ill open it up and see how it looks inside. I found a schematic and Im trying to read it, some pdf's aren't so clear. I'll start at the fuse problem and see what happens.

Thanks again,
Dennis

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 18 queries.